Home General Fishing

Giant Bluefish at Sebastian Inlet

RWood OutdoorsRWood Outdoors Posts: 30 Greenhorn
I rarely get excited over bluefish, but shattering my personal record will put a smile on my face! I usually think of New England for bluefish this size, so I was pretty stoked to get one in my back yard (Sebastian Inlet).

Here is the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TSMylUn15Q&spfreload=10

If you enjoy my videos, please SUBSCRIBE to my YouTube channel.

Replies

• quest450quest450 Posts: 78 Deckhand
    that's impressive for FL......nice fish congrats
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,211 AG
    That is a big one. Too much for my smoker.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,492 Officer
    chopper blue..... Huge for FL. Common up north...

Cool a$$ vid!
  • smooth movesmooth move Posts: 476 Deckhand
    great fish and video. thanks.
    le se' bon ton roulet
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,978 Captain
    For old timers... we can remember a year or two back in the mid-seventies when the big, big bluefish showed down here in south Florida for a week or so - end of March or early April. It only lasted a for a week or so and always coincided with strong easterly winds... It was so unexpected that a beach goer or two in the water actually got nipped when it happened. Although many looked for them in subsequent years they were never seen again - but when they did show up it was in numbers. The anglers who fished on piers got most of the action - but you could also catch them up to twenty pounds or more in the surf when it was on....

Wonder if they'll show up down here again....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,125 Admiral
    lemaymiami wrote: »
    For old timers... we can remember a year or two back in the mid-seventies when the big, big bluefish showed down here in south Florida for a week or so - end of March or early April. It only lasted a for a week or so and always coincided with strong easterly winds... It was so unexpected that a beach goer or two in the water actually got nipped when it happened. Although many looked for them in subsequent years they were never seen again - but when they did show up it was in numbers. The anglers who fished on piers got most of the action - but you could also catch them up to twenty pounds or more in the surf when it was on....

This, and they would eat anything
  • damjeffdamjeff Posts: 62 Deckhand
    Woah!!!!! Holy Bluefish.... Nice catch man.
  • terrapinterrapin Posts: 119 Deckhand

Yep, I was thinking more like 77-78. We were out off Haulover in search of Dolphin and ran into a big school of Blues, running close together, several feet under the surface. I'd hook one and while fighting it, the school would keep going north. You had to run and find them again. After four, we quit chasing them. I remember that it was in April.
  • swampmonsterswampmonster Posts: 323 Deckhand
    Can you eat them that big? Also do bluefish have a lot of mercury?
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    This, and they would eat anything

had a bunch of youngster catching them w/ diamond jigs....the boat drifted over a large tight school that showed no fear of the boat...I started to feed then cut up ballyhoo...it started such a frenzy that to this day i believe that if someone fell in they would be eaten..
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    Blues are cool and like to eat em. Never have seen them near this big in Florida and especially not in the Gulf.

Good book about blues fishing at Martha's Vineyard and just a great all around fishing book.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/783114.Blues

From the revered Pulitzer Prize winning journalist and writer, comes his National Bestseller on one of the world's oldest and most popular activities, fishing. Presented in narrative form as a conversation between a Fisherman and the Stranger, Hersey draws upon his own experiences and passion as the fisherman reflects on the age old sport, offering his own insights and thoughts. From the depths of the ocean to the creatures near the shore, Hersey perfectly answers why fishing has been such an integral part of humanity.
    "Almost no one has answered "why fish?" better than Mr. Hersey . . . what he does best of all is evoke wonder."--New York Times Book Review
    "Blues is, of course, about much more than the pleasures and techniqu3es of fishing; it is, as Fisherman tells Stranger, about interconnections--the ties between mankind and the natural world, among others."--The New Yorker
    "Wonderful . . . He gives us a rich and vivid sense of ocean life. . . . The whole thing is as stately as a minuet, and as graceful."--Chicago Sun-Times (less)

783114.jpg
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,360 Admiral
    Can you eat them that big? Also do bluefish have a lot of mercury?

I don't know about the mercury, but I caught a 3-4 lb in the Gulf last November, I ate it but didn't enjoy it that much. Just fishy and heavy with oil. From now on I'm putting them back.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    kellercl wrote: »
    I don't know about the mercury, but I caught a 3-4 lb in the Gulf last November, I ate it but didn't enjoy it that much. Just fishy and heavy with oil. From now on I'm putting them back.

It is a fish. :wink
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    Fishy.

Would you prefer it taste like chicken?
    tankard wrote: »
    Fishy.

Would you prefer it taste like chicken?

There are plenty of fish that don't have that overtly strong "fish" taste... like sheepshead, pompano, snook, etc. Bluefish have a very strong distinct taste, though I've read if you soak the fillet in balsamic vinegar that helps. I think my point is more about selection versus necessity... I mean we fish in Florida... we have access to pompano, sheepshead, mangrove snapper, gag grouper, snook, redfish.. why settle for Bluefish? I mean if Blue is all one can get, sure go for it, but in Florida... there are far better fish to eat. I personally wouldn't bother, but to each their own. Heck Specks are far better food value as well. Plus there is cobia, permit, black drum.. I've eaten at least 40 types of fish (most of which I have personally caught), Bluefish is simply on the bottom of that list. No offense to those who like it. Some people eat Jack Crevalle.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • Capt KurtCapt Kurt Posts: 410 Deckhand
    terrapin wrote: »
    Yep, I was thinking more like 77-78. We were out off Haulover in search of Dolphin and ran into a big school of Blues, running close together, several feet under the surface. I'd hook one and while fighting it, the school would keep going north. You had to run and find them again. After four, we quit chasing them. I remember that it was in April.

Exactly same experience off fort lauderdale. Black cloud full of Blue Fish in the 70's
    visit Pure Pilates in Fort Lauderdale - http://www.pure-pilates.net
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,928 AG
    Some people eat Jack Crevalle.

Well. My wife came in one day after watching Andrew Zimmern and he had said Jack Crevelle was good to eat... Many years ago when my kids were in school, the Black school custodian was talking to my son about fishing...and my son was proudly telling him about his big jacks...He asked me nicely if I could save a couple...I did and never questioned it....he seemed very pleased with them.

My older brother...Loves *FRESH* Blues...but he is kinda crazy about his "fish care"....They are landed and immediately gutted alive and placed in chillwater
    ( chipped ice..salt water & Kosher salt ) ....they are almost flash frozen like this....and he only keeps enough for 1 meal (that evening)...they are very good.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • NSB PhotogNSB Photog Posts: 539 Officer
    That's a monster blue for Florida.

The very first time I went fishing at Sebastian, it was absolutely overrun with blues. Nothing near that size, though. My Uncle had been telling me over and over how good the snook fishing was there, however on that night the blues were so thick and voracious we couldn't get a bait down to anything else. I remember at one point we were even putting pieces of our sandwiches on our hooks, and pulling up blues. They have saved me from a lot of boredom over the years.
    Florida Impressions | Adventuring in the Sunshine State
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Well. My wife came in one day after watching Andrew Zimmern and he had said Jack Crevelle was good to eat... Many years ago when my kids were in school, the Black school custodian was talking to my son about fishing...and my son was proudly telling him about his big jacks...He asked me nicely if I could save a couple...I did and never questioned it....he seemed very pleased with them.

My older brother...Loves *FRESH* Blues...but he is kinda crazy about his "fish care"....They are landed and immediately gutted alive and placed in chillwater
    ( chipped ice..salt water & Kosher salt ) ....they are almost flash frozen like this....and he only keeps enough for 1 meal (that evening)...they are very good.

Fair enough. Everybody has their own preferences. The one I kept was bled, but not gutted. Perhaps that is the key. I suppose to be fair our ice chest wasn't great at the time either. Perhaps I'll give it another go. We are finding them off the West Wall easily enough. You can see the water, it looks like it is boiling.

-Walter Payton
    I had a bluefish dinner many years ago - up north where the water is cold... No, I wouldn't eat one again unless I had to... Too many great tasting fish around to mess with bluefish (just my opinion).
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,419 Admiral
    duckmanJR wrote: »

I was catching a mess of them at the inlet one day , I gave some Spanish people a few..They said the same thing, chilled on ice , then they smoked them for a dip like you'd make with kingfish.
    I had a bluefish dinner many years ago - up north where the water is cold... No, I wouldn't eat one again unless I had to... Too many great tasting fish around to mess with bluefish (just my opinion).

It really doesn't matter about the water the fish being in being cold Bob...They are oiley fish and start rotting the second they die... *It is all about the care post catch*
    I personally agree though...so many great fish to catch here...no need to bother with all that gutting/chillwater stuff....but my brother likes them...so...
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    johnD wrote: »
    I was catching a mess of them at the inlet one day , I gave some Spanish people a few..They said the same thing, chilled on ice , then they smoked them for a dip like you'd make with kingfish.

They are actually Awesom smoked...Maybe one of the best ( Oiley fish make the best smoked fish IMHO ). I liked it better than Mackerel...Spanish or king.
    I had a deal going with an old timer..50/50 split....he's long gone now...Too bad though.
    They say it has carcinogens....I doubt it was what killed him... but if it was...he died eating some good stuff! :wink
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • evernicevernic Posts: 797 Officer

yep, Anglin's pier mid 70's 3 years in a row, like you said Mar/Apr...hundreds were caught on the pier...they were hitting anything...
    after losing plugs and jigs, I scraped a 2oz. sinker till it was shiny...caught'em on that too!
    I caught a 17 # blue in the ICW south of Peanut island in 1972...on a pfluger supreme with 10#
    2802 Trophy WA, 2x225Merc EFI's...sunk unamed storm 12-09looking for boat #10
    outstanding catch... I don't think most of the current generation of anglers appreciate just how good pier fishing was when I first came here in 1971... or how much fun it was to compete and try to catch the biggest fish on the lightest gear... I introduced a buddy to the old Lake Worth pier back in 1976 (April, May) - it was an hour's drive north each day... He got his first big jack, big king, and cobia that spring... The jack weighed in at 31lbs, the king at 44lbs, and the cobia also at 44 lbs. That spring I also caught my first and only african pompano off that pier - it weighed in at 35lbs and would have been a world record - except that the IGFA only added africans about ten years later to the record species list... That 35lb african on 15lb line (on an old Penn Jigmaster) will probably be the closest I'll ever come to a record... (It wasn't surpassed until africans had been listed for almost ten years...).

Back then it was common for anglers to sell their catch so that's how I'm certain of the weights involved (we got paid by the pound...). Glad that sort of stuff isn't done any more. I figure the state is doing pretty good in fisheries conservation these days. With six grandkids at present it's nice to know they'll have a shot - if I can get them to come back for a visit....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

Smoke them or blacken them
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    There are plenty of fish that don't have that overtly strong "fish" taste... like sheepshead, pompano, snook, etc. Bluefish have a very strong distinct taste, though I've read if you soak the fillet in balsamic vinegar that helps. I think my point is more about selection versus necessity... I mean we fish in Florida... we have access to pompano, sheepshead, mangrove snapper, gag grouper, snook, redfish.. why settle for Bluefish? I mean if Blue is all one can get, sure go for it, but in Florida... there are far better fish to eat. I personally wouldn't bother, but to each their own. Heck Specks are far better food value as well. Plus there is cobia, permit, black drum.. I've eaten at least 40 types of fish (most of which I have personally caught), Bluefish is simply on the bottom of that list. No offense to those who like it. Some people eat Jack Crevalle.

But for dips, it is great. Even Jack Crevalle can be smoked. Wife makes a he11 of a dip from them
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Flash wrote: »
    But for dips, it is great. Even Jack Crevalle can be smoked. Wife makes a he11 of a dip from them

I could see dip and smoked blue being worth it. We straight up grilled with salt/pepper. A neighbor makes mullet dip, my lord that is yummy.

-Walter Payton
  • tdsdadtdsdad Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    used to drive down to Daytona from my Navy base in Ocala and we would catch 75-100 in just a few hours throwing a "bullet" lure (red and white, heavy, two treble hooks) as far as we could cast from the bridge on the ICW,then reel as fast as you could-my friend was from the Phillipines and his wife made a dip that was amazing