Shell Island July Sharks?

I've been fishing for smaller sharks, Blacktip, Spinners, etc off the second shoal down Shell Island past couple of July's. No luck. Usually start by 10 a.m. through the afternoon. Start out early morning catching some fresh
Bonita, then set up for Shark. We go quite a bit down Shell Island and anchor up. Thought it would be a no brainer. Guess I was wrong. Any advise greatly appreciated.

Replies

• RedhunterRedhunter Posts: 435 Deckhand
    Try Port St. Joe at that time of Year. I have seen them thick on the flats that time of year.
  • LungerLunger Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Crooked Island Sound is THE place for sharks in July. All sizes and a good variety of species as well.
  • ChesapeakeDaveChesapeakeDave Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot
    Lunger, I went down shell island to the cut in between crooked island. It appeared to be filled in. No longer a channel into St Andrews Sound. Is that right? Or did I not go down far enough?
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,020 Moderator
    It's been closed in for probably 10 years or so.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
    If fishing the sound, we put in at Davis Beach. It's shallow back there but doable in an 18 ft Cape Horn CC. The beaches on the ocean side of Crooked Island are excellent for sharking. You stand a good chance at a big Tiger in July in that clean clear water. You would need to launch at Mexico Beach and run west; but not that far. East Pass has been filled in for quite a while like PH said. From Panama City pass its a little bit of a run but scenic.
  • Rebait2003Rebait2003 Posts: 117 Deckhand
    Lunger wrote: »
    If fishing the sound, we put in at Davis Beach. It's shallow back there but doable in an 18 ft Cape Horn CC. The beaches on the ocean side of Crooked Island are excellent for sharking. You stand a good chance at a big Tiger in July in that clean clear water. You would need to launch at Mexico Beach and run west; but not that far. East Pass has been filled in for quite a while like PH said. From Panama City pass its a little bit of a run but scenic.
    If you have a small boat up to 20ft or so you can put in at the AF research center dirt ramp. Then run west into the sound. Be careful right before you get to the open area as the channel is right up against the island and one of the markers to aim at is up on land. Cut right to the left of the marker in the water and then hug the beach going north till the island ends and heads back west. Cut to the left and there is 2 markers down to your left. Stay left of those 2 markers. From there it is deep enough water to go pretty much anywhere. Water is clear.
    Your GPS should show that channel if you have a navionics.
    Those directions are spot on. That dirt ramp you are referring to is sometimes known as Davis Beach. Bring some DEET. the yellowflies will eat you alive at that ramp.
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 10,381 AG
    The sand ramp at Davis Beach is at the end of Research Road.

There used to be some big gators down there, too.
    Warning Level 2
    Thanks for all the help. I keep my boat at Treasure Island Marina, so I'll have to take the scenic route down Shell Island