Keys resident/regular forum members?

How many of you guys, or girls, are residents of the Keys?

Seems like a lot of our members/posters in this forum don't actually live in the Keys, I was wondering how many regular posters we have that actually live in the Keys?

I'm not sure I could live there year round. If I did it would be something like 6 months out of the year at the most I would imagine and I'd probably like to live somewhere from Bahia Honda to Cudjoe.
"Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."

Replies

• KeysNoleKeysNole Posts: 523 Officer
    I don't (wouldn't with young kids), but could. Marathon has a movie theater, Publix/HD, and schools that could (in my opinion) help someone live a "normal" life. It's not for everyone.

If I wanted to be more "off the grid," I think BPK is great.

As with anywhere, money would dictate the lifestyle.
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,707 Captain
    I usually come down to Marathon for about 5 weeks in August-September. I enjoy the time there, but am usually ready to get back home to pine trees and hills.
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • XafXaf Posts: 992 Officer
    I make the trip down from east central Florida about once a month to go fishing in the Tortugas. Other then stopping to get something to eat or buy tackle I very seldom interact with the "natives." I probably would have enjoyed the lifestyle when I was younger but it would probably do me in now.
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,218 Captain
    yr-round
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Posts: 18,665 Admin
    KeysNole wrote: »
    I don't (wouldn't with young kids), but could. Marathon has a movie theater, Publix/HD, and schools that could (in my opinion) help someone live a "normal" life. It's not for everyone.

If I wanted to be more "off the grid," I think BPK is great.

As with anywhere, money would dictate the lifestyle.

I've got three boys and I proposed selling our property in the country and moving to the Keys and they struggled with leaving their lifestyle, friends, sports teams and family and didn't want to do it.
    yr-round

BPK is awesome. I love so many things about that whole area that BPK is probably where I'd end up.

How long have you lived there? What is it that keeps you in BP versus some of the smaller islands around Marathon or Islamorada or Key West?
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
  • UK AnglerUK Angler Posts: 231 Deckhand
    As my user name suggests- I'm probably the furthest away in Derby (right in the centre of the UK).

I first started to come over to Florida for the Tarpon run, but as the kids have got older I can't take them out of school as easily- so now we tend to come over in the summer break (our kids get 6 weeks off in the summer). The fishing is much slower- but we (frequently its the kids who catch the keepers) put food on the table most days, so we keep costs down and its 2-3 weeks of the family spending time together on the boat. No Wi-fi, no mobiles, no work.

Me and the missus have talked about moving over as we love it so much- but we want the kids to finish their education in the UK. Maybe once we get towards retirement age, we'll get a place out there. Marathon seems like a good location for a holiday...but might close in a little bit if we were there for 6 months a year...
  • mikeloewmikeloew Posts: 327 Deckhand
    Been coming to the Keys for 27 years now, we bought a place in Marathon 8 years ago. I still live full time in Wisconsin, but wife and I plan on retiring in Marathon. I get down about 10 times a year and love every minute.
    Marathon vacation home for rent

http://www.floridakeyshomeforrent.com/
  • B2TBB2TB Posts: 56 Greenhorn
    I have a place in Marathon and spend 2-3 weeks there every other month and fish most every day I can get out on the boat. I'm not a snowbird and spend most of the winters up north since I'm a hunter and skier. In the spring I play softball and do fresh water fly fishing for trout.

If boating/fishing/diving were my only interests, I think I could live there full time. Of all the Keys, Marathon is probably the most like the suburb where I live up north. That is it is has stores and shopping centers etc. I think the real advantage to the Keys it that there is a place for everyone. Young people prefer Key Largo and Key West, families seem to gravitate to Marathon or Islamorada and those looking for a more peaceful or quiet lifestyle can go to Big Pine Key, Cudjoe etc.
  • kc outdoorsmankc outdoorsman Posts: 42 Deckhand
    I've been coming down for 25 years. First came on my honeymoon. I live in KC and although I love the Keys and that style of fishing, I couldn't do without the prime deer, duck and goose hunting I have here in KC . I would love to guide November to February here then get enough experience to guide fishing there in the spring and summer
  • flbluerunnerflbluerunner Posts: 703 Officer
    I have lived full time in the Keys for 13 years. My piece of paradise.
    John :USA
    2006 38 Luhrs IPS600, A true 38, the only one made with IPS!
    2001 23 Parker

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,586 Moderator
    Born and raised Key West conch but only visit 2 - 3 times a year. Always lower keys..
    "You'll get your weather"
  • RazzmanRazzman Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    I've been coming to the Lower Keys since 1991....on vacation with wife..then kids. Volunteered at Bahia Honda state park so we could set our Camper up there for the summer. I bought a place on Little Torch a few years ago and both my daughters have spent their last few summers there working in between being off for the summer while at university. I rent my place to snowbirds for the season and shoot down as much as i can the rest of the year. I plan on moving down in a few years when i am ready to drop off the grid!
  • terrapinterrapin Posts: 119 Deckhand
    Well it seems most of the posters (on this thread) don't live there, so I'll add my two cents. Fell in love with the Keys when I was a kid, visiting with my parents. We drove down from Miami to stay at the Islander. I caught snapper from the shore behind the motel. It was a pretty cool place back then. Later, in the late 60's, as a teen, I remember going to fish the catwalk on (I believe) the channel two bridge one night. We stopped the car on the bridge and unloaded fishing stuff, then parked the car. Looking both directions, not a car in sight at the time.
    I had a chance to move down there about 1980, but saw the writing on the wall, so to speak, with the population and traffic increasing, I decided to go north instead. I rented a house for vacations about ten years in a row and been to Marquesas more times than I can remember. So with the total time I've spent there, I think I almost qualify.
  • LittleTorchRobaloLittleTorchRobalo Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Wow. looks like mostly part timers on here. I'm year round. come say hi at Lower Keys Tackle on Big Pine.
  • nickdeenickdee Posts: 30 Deckhand
    Lived on long island retired and moved down four years ago. Like living here and glad we made the move. There a few things that can get under your skin down here. It like living in a small town witch i like . Some times of the year the traffic is crazzy . I not talking about the holidays weekends that expected. It all the other days you think it should be clear and it not. The winter is great down here but fishing days are limited because of the wind. i have a 25 foot boat and could get out some of the windy days but dont want to get bounced around
    I retired but i work 2 or 3 days a week just to get out. If you have to make a living here good luck. If you have to find a good paying job down here there like hen teeth . Housing renting or buying is not cheap .
    That being said i do like it here and plan on staying. It better than shoveling snow in NY. I enjoy the fishing it it a great place as long as you have your self set up and not struggling to get by
  • TeamTekeTeamTeke Posts: 947 Officer
    I have been an owner and snowbird here since 2001. However, this past fall we sold our Colorado home and retired here in Key Colony Beach. It works for my wife and I, with occasional trips to get off of the rock. We like the Marathon/KCB area. Our plans will include some summer RV trips back north to visit our kids and grandchildren.

There are few of us who are full time locals in the Keys Forum. Sadly, many vanished when this forum went up/down over time.
    Happiness is the journey, not the destination.
  • Keyed-upKeyed-up Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Full time, live in Key Largo. "Civilization" is only 20 miles away if I start to feel Walmart deprived. I don't know if I could live in the lower Keys.
  • cudjoe cudacudjoe cuda Posts: 31 Greenhorn
    Full time and love it. Just wish we could not have daylight savings time. Ruins my evening fishing.
    Andros Cuda 23'
    200 Suzuki
  • HOOKTHATSNOOKHOOKTHATSNOOK Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Been living here almost a year but have been visiting for a long time.
  • Mig888Mig888 Posts: 77 Greenhorn
    I live there 3 days a week. The other 4 in Hollywood.
  • silentfaithsilentfaith Posts: 359 Deckhand
    marathon is getting to be big time and in 5 years the start of the 7 mile bridge will be the next mallory square happening place if singh and spotswood get their way.
  • killintimekillintime Posts: 235 Deckhand
    Not yet...But soon! No place like it.

KT
  • BigguyBigguy Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    Key Largo full time resident since 1986. Can't really see myself living any place else, not saying I will never move but this place is pretty special. Clear water, great diving and fishing. If you are a water person it is unbelievable, and since I moved from the cold country... I have yet to have to shovel the heat.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,046 Admiral
    Used to stay in Marathon 3 months out of the year mackeral and pompano fishing back in the early and late 80's, most of the people I knew back then died early deaths or spent a lot of time weed eating and mowing.
    I probably would have too if I had stayed full time.

I quit there in 1990 and didn't go back till 2007, what a shock..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • swordslayer71swordslayer71 Posts: 398 Officer
    Full time Key West resident.
  • mjrmjr Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    My husband and I moved to Ramrod Key full time, this last October. We love it. It is quieter than Key West (which is only 25 minutes away). We moved here from the Northeast, no children. We found Key Largo, Islamorada and Marathon to be too much like living in any city in south Florida. Once we got past the 7 mile bridge, we got the feel of the true keys (IMO). Big Pine has everything you need (unless it's a mall, that is). My husband is retired, I'm semi retired. Once a week I head up to Miami for work for a few days. Otherwise, we are out on the boat every day, fishing, snorkeling and checking our stone crab traps. We love living in paradise.
  • SCaveNJSCaveNJ Posts: 48 Greenhorn
    Made our first trip down there six years ago when my son was in Boy Scouts and we spent a week at SeaBase on Summerland Key. That's all it took for me and we've made a trip every year since then except for one. Heading back in a week and a half for our 2017 trip and I'm as excited as a kid on Christmas morning.
    I've told my wife that my retirement plan is to buy a nice boat and a crappy house and live in the Keys.
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 639 Officer
    Just about anywhere in the Keys is better than most other places.
  • keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,249 Officer
    I have been down in the keys since I was a Toddler. And have owned a place in key largo for the last 20 years. and my brother and his Family has had a place in Cudjoe Key for last 45 years. I have been a weekend warrior the whole time. I have lived in the country side in north Florida for a year when I was a young man and didn't like that much solitude. I plan on selling my house in Miami and my place in the keys. and retiring in the key. again I like the lower keys for the fishing opportunities. but will probably end up in Tavernier area to stay close to all the things the big city has to offer and my kids in Broward. I spent a summer working down in they keys when I was a teen I'm sure there is a lot more for them now but it S***ed for a teenager back then. If you didn't fish and dive there was nothing to do.
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,190 Captain
    I have been down in the keys since I was a Toddler. And have owned a place in key largo for the last 20 years. and my brother and his Family has had a place in Cudjoe Key for last 45 years. I have been a weekend warrior the whole time. I have lived in the country side in north Florida for a year when I was a young man and didn't like that much solitude. I plan on selling my house in Miami and my place in the keys. and retiring in the key. again I like the lower keys for the fishing opportunities. but will probably end up in Tavernier area to stay close to all the things the big city has to offer and my kids in Broward. I spent a summer working down in they keys when I was a teen I'm sure there is a lot more for them now but it S***ed for a teenager back then. If you didn't fish and dive there was nothing to do.
    The way it should still be!! Why else would you go to a place like the keys and not want to be on the water?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk