Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Using mustard as an adhesive to coat fish destined to fry

2»

Replies

• CaptJCaptJ Posts: 1,138 Officer
    Never met a piece of fried fish I didn't like. I use flour (season it with salt, pepper, garlic powder), egg wash and then into the seasoned panko breadcrumbs. I like to mix olive oil with grapeseed (olive oil for taste and grapeseed for higher temp). Must say the best pc of fried fish was years ago when a neighbor fried some in a stone ground corn meal breading. It was memorable because it was Spanish Mackerel which I rate only a little better than Kingfish. 
  • smooth movesmooth move Posts: 476 Deckhand
    corn meal, salt and pepper here for fish. egg wash and crushed saltines for shrimp.
    le se' bon ton roulet
  • lmbrjacklmbrjack old townPosts: 20 Greenhorn
    Venison steak tenderized  rolled in mustard then dixelily sea food mix deep fry delicious  
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,767 Captain
    I like' the sound of the mustard. I've had baked fish with a mustard coating, it's good in my view. But to each his own. I also like Eggs and corn meal. Now to go fishing for the first time in 3 yrs!!!   LOL
  • rwatersrwaters Posts: 40 Deckhand
    tankard said:
    Beer, flour, seasoning.

No adhesive required, forms the perfect crispy outside.

Just don't use good (flavorful) beer. This is definitely a job for Busch Light.
    But usually with House Autrey. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,201 AG
    rwaters said:
    tankard said:
    Beer, flour, seasoning.

No adhesive required, forms the perfect crispy outside.

Just don't use good (flavorful) beer. This is definitely a job for Busch Light.
    But usually with House Autrey. 
    House Autrey seafood breader and their hushpuppy mix (the one with onion) is awesome.  That's all I use for my fish frys. 
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter