Google's Nik Collection Image Editing Software

mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 7,030 Admiral
Anyone using it? Thoughts?

Captain Todd Approves

Replies

• FlashFlash Posts: 11,053 AG
    I have never even heard of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • redsgurlredsgurl Posts: 469 Deckhand
    I use it. I love it. First of all, free is good. Second, I really like how artsy fartsy you can get with it

26323873625_1eb6180355_c.jpg

30359833066_3a54566689_z.jpg

32483079822_f968fa8ab7_z.jpg

Just go DL it, and play around with it. You will be glad you did.
    Suz

Capybara's are vicious and should not be let alone with small children. In-laws are another matter.............
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 7,030 Admiral
    redsgurl wrote: »
    I use it. I love it. First of all, free is good. Second, I really like how artsy fartsy you can get with it

26323873625_1eb6180355_c.jpg

30359833066_3a54566689_z.jpg

32483079822_f968fa8ab7_z.jpg

Just go DL it, and play around with it. You will be glad you did.
    I downloaded it but it appears to be plugins for software I don't have? I thought I read some were stand alone. I assumed it had editing capabilities. Am I wrong?

The only image editing software I have came with our Canon. Maybe it is time to subscribe to Adobe.

Cool pictures by the way. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Captain Todd Approves

watch this short video. it states go to program files, google, nik collection, open which one you want, and edit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzcbM9JPFVI
    Suz

Capybara's are vicious and should not be let alone with small children. In-laws are another matter.............
  • JWTJWT Posts: 410 Deckhand
    i have seen some nice effects with the Silver Effects.......does it work with RAW files or is it only jpeg?
    I use Raw Therapee, but I did just try to open NIK on a raw file and it was to no avail, when I tried to use it as a total standalone. It can be used inside your regular editing program. All of the Effects are nice. It does have a small learning curve, but nothing you can't handle. Here is a link showing you how to process a RAW file in the HDR plugin for NIK, once you have opened it in your main program.

https://www.breathingcolor.com/blog/nik-software-complete-collection-how-tos-hdr-efex-pro-part-1/
    Suz

Suz

just tried a quick B&W conversion with it.......... a quick pic of my web site :)
    *clapping* see? it wasnt so bad, was it? :) Thats nice. Very nice.
    Suz

Awesome, thanks for the video.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Captain Todd Approves

Post somethin now. :)
    Suz

i tried an edit last night & quickly realized i need to take some time to learn how to fully use it! but i am liking it. Suz, do you recall which filters you used on your shots?

my first go-
    I like the color efex pro the most; that is to say, it's the one I use the most. I have done some crazy stuff with it. If you use a filter, or preset, and like the result, remember to hit the bottom button where it says add another filter, once you do this, it will save your work. Sometimes, you will find yourself using 6 or 7 presets and then you can "save the recipe". It will be on the left hand side, and you will soon fill up your recipe slots. Your sleepy lil owl is cool. :) The Define is supposed to rival Topaz for noise; it retains more structure, but will leave more debris behind. The Sharpen is good for pre raw, and then output. I havent had the greatest luck with the raw, but the output will surprise you now and then. I love the fog, and the blending capabilities.

26441808255_1de58cd78a_z.jpg

26155154370_a999b13bfc_z.jpg

26648870000_0b2dbbd79e_z.jpg

And of course, everyones favorite, Silver effects. Just ridiculous. You are gonna get this in no time. Stay with it. It's fun!! :)
    Suz

Here is a shot of the recipe for the foggy jet. Note the settings, filters, etc, all listed on the right. On the left, the recipe tab shows on the top, because I called up recipes, and you can see the ones I have saved. Is this what you were talkin about?

32612690723_2c9568fbec_c.jpg
    Suz

Here is my flickr account. at least there, you can blow it up to see. https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Suz

exactly! really nice tools. recipes !!! yes! - just need to get more familiar with it. i grabbed an old image just to experiment.........
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,215 Officer
    Flash wrote: »
    I have never even heard of it.
    you should...and it's free...
    JWT wrote: »
    i have seen some nice effects with the Silver Effects.......does it work with RAW files or is it only jpeg?

i have the adobe cc subscription but mostly just use Lr...
    i do have the NIK collection, but mostly use "silver efex"...
    i have not been able to find any stand alone for NIK so i use Lr to get to the software....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
    i have not been able to find any stand alone for NIK so i use Lr to get to the software....
    Go back in this thread and look at the video. It installs stand alones in Google's program folders.

Captain Todd Approves

• mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,215 Officer
    here's a very good tutorial by anthony morganti on youtube...
    he has a series and they are well worth watching...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzcEmInTvGw

morganti also has some really good tutorials for adobe products as well...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002