Anna Maria Island Beach fishing.

BigVernBigVern Posts: 217 Deckhand
Hi folks. I will be lucky enough to be holidaying on Anna Maria Island this August. Any tips on species,tactics and areas to target would be gratefully received! I have fished near the northern end of the island in April and had some success with jacks, pompano and a snook! Just wondering how August will treat me!

Many thanks in advance!!

Vern

Replies

• have kayak will travelhave kayak will travel Posts: 90 Greenhorn
    Walk the Gulf side beaches in the mornings(sunrise to 10AM). Snook will be cruising within 50 feet of the shoreline. So no need to make long casts. When the wind and weather cooperate the water will be calm and clear. With a good pair of polarized sunglasses you should be able to spot the Snook. Do some searching and you will find plenty of good info on this site and other resources about the tackle and techniques for beach Snook.
  • dcrdcr Posts: 365 Deckhand
    Walk the Gulf side beaches in the mornings(sunrise to 10AM). Snook will be cruising within 50 feet of the shoreline......... Do some searching and you will find plenty of good info on this site and other resources about the tackle and techniques for beach Snook.
    Somewhere on here are a couple threads about your favorite beach lures.
    Most of your hits will be 15-20' from your feet. Get a 3/8 oz SPRO white bucktail, tie on a 20-25# flourocarbon leader with a loop knot. Practice bouncing it off the bottom.
  • BigVernBigVern Posts: 217 Deckhand
    Hi and many thanks for the tips! I hope to do some fly fishing from the beach. Are there any other species I am likely to encounter along the beaches in August?

Vern
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    Trout, in the early AM and maybe spanish macks. Some summers the macks are thick, other years they don't show up. Reds on the bayside are a possibility. And of course, if you want to sharks after 6 PM, if you wade out enough.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
    In addition to the beaches try wade fishing the bay side. The north end of Anna Maria is a good place to start. Look for activity. Gulls and Terns diving, pods of bait and predatory fish busting or swirling on the surface. Public access at Bayfront Park or the city pier. Be careful not step on any rays. Wear proper footwear and shuffle your feet. Fish in the evening before sunset or early morning. Don't waste anytime fishing during the day. The sun and heat basically shut down the action. Keep it simple regarding fly selection. Deceivers, Clousers and Schminnows(crystal minnows). Poppers if you have them. The fish will be feeding on relatively small baits so sizes 2 - 2/0. Light colors work well. White, yellow, pink, chartreuse and green.
    Hi folks and thanks for the tips! When you say Bayside is that Rod and Reel Pier to bean point or city pier down to Manatee river? Do you use small or large baits for the sharks? Should you wear flats boots type of footwear?

Huge thanks again and tight lines!

Vern
    Flats boots work well or even old sneakers. Ladyfish make good bait for sharks. Generally speaking the larger the bait the larger the shark. Take a look at landbased blacktip shark fishing on youtube. Even smaller sharks require stout gear.
    Bayfront Park has parking on either side of city pier. That entire stretch from Bean to Bimini Bay can be good. The area south of the city pier is a wide shallow flat with a mix of sand and grass. Excellent fishing on a strong incoming tide. Don't hesitate to fish shallow water(24"- 36" deep). Dusk and dawn try using topwaters like the Super Spook Jr. in bone or redhead. I recommend replacing the wimpy factory hooks with 4x trebles.
    Thanks for the tips again! I would like to avoid deep hooking the sharks. Do you strike early at the sign of a take or do you let the take develop? Circle hooks? How big are the rays? Are they worth fishing for? I will have a dock out the back of the home, which leads onto the Bimini bay waters. Do fish enter these areas regularly or are they occasional visitors. Could you chum the water and entice some fish in?

Thanks again!
    Circle hooks. Rays are kind of obnoxious. It's like hooking a large piece of plywood that occasionally makes a run. Not worth the effort in my opinion. Plenty of other species to target. Try fishing your dock after dark. Toss an unweighted live shrimp a few feet out from the pilings. Keep your drag relatively tight and get ready because a hooked fish will try to break you off on the pilings or any other nearby structure. You can try chum. Again most activity will be after dark. If the dock has a lights that shine on the water keep them on at night. That will definitely attract fish.
    Right, I will try and avoid the rays at all costs! I have not used circle hooks before but I have heard you lift into the take rather than strike! Do the sharks pick up the bait and run or engulf it on the spot? I am just not keen on leaving a hook and wire deep in a fish! Am I likely to encounter any of the tuna species gulf side or do they prefer more depth and current? Speaking of which, I would like to get a handle on tides. Any pointers on incoming outgoing tides would be much appreciated!

Thanks again for your patience and taking the time to answer my questions!

Tight lines!
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    http://www.tides4fishing.com/us/florida-gulf-coast

For tides I use this and usually it's good. But there are days when the fish bite all day and other days when they disappear. The days when this site say fishing will be bad, it is.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • Krjones43Krjones43 Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Hey all, I will be taking my kayaks on family vacation this year to do some kayak fishing. In the past I've done well at Emerson Point and the surrounding area. I was wondering if anybody's ever fished inside Bimini Bay on the island for sheepshead or anything around the docks. 
    Hi krjones,

Not done much fishing in the bay itself, but the house we rent has a dock and when the tide is in there are always sheepshead under it. Must be the same for docks with plenty of depth at low tide. 

I am back over to your beautiful shores next weekend!!! Will post reports in the West Central region. 

Tight lines

Vern.
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 569 Officer
    BigVern said:
    Right, I will try and avoid the rays at all costs! I have not used circle hooks before but I have heard you lift into the take rather than strike! Do the sharks pick up the bait and run or engulf it on the spot? I am just not keen on leaving a hook and wire deep in a fish! Am I likely to encounter any of the tuna species gulf side or do they prefer more depth and current? Speaking of which, I would like to get a handle on tides. Any pointers on incoming outgoing tides would be much appreciated!

Thanks again for your patience and taking the time to answer my questions!

Tight lines!
    For sharks on a circle hook I just let them swim off with a moderately set drag and they usually hook themselves. There is a bit of paperwork and new regs you have to be aware of for beach shark fishing
    You can find it on line. 
    Thanks for the advice Lostconch. Will post reports if successful!

Tight lines 

Vern