Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Four days in the Glades

Just getting back from my first camping trip in the Glades and what an experience! Myself, my brother, and a friend launched out of Choko last Thursday morning and headed south for three nights of camping at Lostmans 5. We are all life long anglers but none of us have ever fished the glades for more than half a day, so needless to say the learning curve was severe. We worked our butts off to find fish but just couldn't find the numbers we were looking for. What we did find, however, were half a dozen of the beefiest snook we've ever seen in shallow water. Monster fish after monster fish was willing to eat a well presented artificial or fly, but every one of them found a way to wear thru our leaders despite us stepping it up a notch with every donated bait. After all was said and done, we ended up missing 6 big snook that were all happy to eat and run; you know the kind? those ones that are too big to jump so they just thrash thier heads as violently as a terrier with a chew toy? Yeah, those guys.

Easily one of the highlights of the trip was the monster tarpon we found sitting in just a couple feet of water. Despite my initial goobered cast with my fly, he didn't spook and let me present the bait again. This time I caught his attention and he quickly began to follow. Just when the fly was only a couple inches off of his nose he wised up, saw the boat, and blew out of there with a tug boat sized wake. Sad to see him swim off while giving us the middle fin, but that brief moment was a enough to make my knees knock and and my heart beat so loudly I could hear it in my ears.

While lots of big fish never made it to hand, a select few of thier smaller brethren were kinder and gentler and cooperated more willingly. We managed to coax this little guy to the bow after he pounced on a small white gurgler I **** up.

All in all, it was an amazing experience in a breathtakingly beautiful environment. I'm already counting down the days until we make it back for our next adventure next year.

Replies

• eeekbackupinthereeeekbackupinthere Posts: 75 Greenhorn
    The Glades are awesome! Great report!
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,151 Officer
    Good report. Thanks for posting.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 605 Officer
    Thanks Great report.
    I too was in the Glades Thursday--Sunday but hotel camping. We did pass your campsite a few times.
    Came into the Broad river late morning Thursday to find a guy clinging to a mangrove tree on one of the bars.
    Turns out, he was camping out of Flamingo, running north each day.
    His boat took on water during the bad storms Wednesday and sank.
    He swam in on his flotation cushion, lost everything else. Spent the night out there w/ the skeets.

We ran him back to EC to report into the ranger station and call for a ride.

Saturday was our only decent fishing day.
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
  • TieOneOnTieOneOn Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the kind words on the report all!
    Came into the Broad river late morning Thursday to find a guy clinging to a mangrove tree on one of the bars.
    Turns out, he was camping out of Flamingo, running north each day.
    His boat took on water during the bad storms Wednesday and sank.
    He swam in on his flotation cushion, lost everything else. Spent the night out there w/ the skeets.

We ran him back to EC to report into the ranger station and call for a ride.

Wow, thank god you were there to save him. Sinking in an environment like that is literally a nightmare. I can't imagine how helpless I would feel if I was out there alone when something like that happened. While fishing one day my fellow campers and I discussed that exact scenario. We all agreed that we would likely die from panic before we were discovered out there.

It was a little pricey but my ACR ResQlink sure does bring a lot of peace of mind when I'm in an environment like that. To have rescue available day or night at the click of a button is extremely comforting. Hopefully I'll never actually find out how well it works and how quickly rescue arrives.

Glad to hear you got a good day of fishing in on Saturday. We sure couldn't have asked for better weather.