Home Fly Fishing

A few Sexy Seaducers

thflyingclouserthflyingclouser Posts: 52 Greenhorn
I tied a few of these Seaducer Flies last night. The Darker of the 2 was made using some Olive EP Brush. I Have a Feeling that one will be popular with the Seatrouts. The white and Yellow shouts out Snook. These patterns will meet the water this weekend in Key Largo.

Tight Lines!

Replies

• saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,660 Captain
    Love dem seaducers. I tie one similar to your white and yellow and big trout on grass flats like em too.
  • thflyingclouserthflyingclouser Posts: 52 Greenhorn
    saltybum wrote: »
    Love dem seaducers. I tie one similar to your white and yellow and big trout on grass flats like em too.

Thanks SaltyBum. offshore is looking pretty bad this weekend. so I will most likely be trying the grass flats. i'll keep you posted.
    Backlash wrote: »
    I like em.
    Going to be pretty breezy here though..

Thanks Backlash. and while I have you on the line. I tied some Big Game Flies and the inspiration for them came from looking at your Bluewater Flies Post. There not identical to yours. I tried out some different materials. but inspired by you non the less. Here's a picture.

Enjoy & thanks.
  • BacklashBacklash Posts: 880 Officer
    Wow, I was not prepared for such flattery...
    I think you went and one-upped my ties, that pattern looks killer!
    Nice job!
    Wow, I was not prepared for such flattery...
    I think you went and one

That wasn't my intention Backlash. lol. I happen to think yours look better. I hope they work. Do you have any suggestions on how to work these big flies?
  • BacklashBacklash Posts: 880 Officer
    Well, what you wanna do... is to get the fly into the fishes mouth. Lol.

I found that what worked best was a rod tucked under the arm and a double hand erratic strip. But it's obviously going to vary for the situation.
    I did NOT score my sail... had two fish eat the fly, but they were charging me on the strip, and I couldn't come tight on those speedsters quick enough.
    What we do here in the keys for sails, is to put out live, hookless, bridled teasers (ballyhoo, pilchards, herring, gog's) and bump the boat in and out of gear. When a hot fish gets on the bait(s) a mate clears the live teasers as you put the fly right on, and behind the fish. That way, the sail turns and eats while heading away from you, making it much, much easier to come tight on them.
    Our sails were super picky, and didn't want anything to do with ballyhoo those couple of days. Which was frustrating because 90% of my ties were 'hoo patterns. We had daisy chains of 7/8 live ballyhoo and the sails would ignore them and go for a single pilchard...
    and they weren't real cooperative when we pulled the teaser/dropped the fly... both eats occurred on the second or third cast, as the fish jumped on the fly coming back to the boat. They just weren't hot enough to hit it on the entry.
    For dolphin- just chuck, duck, and strip... they'll eat.
    Blackfins- live chum 'em up, and do long casts with the tuck and double hand strip method

Here I am being frustrated by 'dem sails
    Well, what you wanna do... is to get the fly into the fishes mouth. Lol.

I found that what worked best was a rod tucked under the arm and a double hand erratic strip. But it's obviously going to vary for the situation.
    I did NOT score my sail... had two fish eat the fly, but they were charging me on the strip, and I couldn't come tight on those speedsters quick enough.
    What we do here in the keys for sails, is to put out live, hookless, bridled teasers (ballyhoo, pilchards, herring, gog's) and bump the boat in and out of gear. When a hot fish gets on the bait(s) a mate clears the live teasers as you put the fly right on, and behind the fish. That way, the sail turns and eats while heading away from you, making it much, much easier to come tight on them.
    Our sails were super picky, and didn't want anything to do with ballyhoo those couple of days. Which was frustrating because 90% of my ties were 'hoo patterns. We had daisy chains of 7/8 live ballyhoo and the sails would ignore them and go for a single pilchard...
    and they weren't real cooperative when we pulled the teaser/dropped the fly... both eats occurred on the second or third cast, as the fish jumped on the fly coming back to the boat. They just weren't hot enough to hit it on the entry.
    For dolphin

Thanks for all the great advise. I'll take your word for it backlash. I know that look you got in that picture. lol. I've been there before its a learning experience next time plenty of both Pilchards and Hoo's I'm guessing. And more cooperation from the fish of course!

Tight lines!