Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Ozello Information...How big a boat?

Noticed there are a lot of nice homes with seawalls and docks all the way out in Ozello. How large a boat/draft can you have in those canals and still get out to the open gulf? Are the 2 rivers leading out well marked?

Thanks!

KT:huh

Replies

• k-dogk-dog Posts: 152 Deckhand
    I was thinking the same thing you can find a place there at a better price than crystleriver or homassa
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,379 AG
    killintime wrote: »
    Noticed there are a lot of nice homes with seawalls and docks all the way out in Ozello. How large a boat/draft can you have in those canals and still get out to the open gulf? Are the 2 rivers leading out well marked?

Thanks!

KT:huh

St Martins River is some what marked, Fish Creek and Black Creek are not.
    There isn't another river in Ozello that leads to the Gulf though some of the newbie guides think Salt River does
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 5,024 Admiral
    Be careful in that area.

Heard there's a grumpy old dude who runs (hobbles now) around the neighborhood shooting peacocks.
  • Catfish_HunterCatfish_Hunter Posts: 261 Deckhand
    the ramp at the end of the road, the channel isn't really marked at all...john brown is somewhat marked. I wouldn't bring a boat that drafts more then a john boat or kayak lol. rocks every where. unless you know the way i wouldn't be running on a plane anywhere.
    nick wrote: »
    Be careful in that area.

Heard there's a grumpy old dude who runs (hobbles now) around the neighborhood shooting peacocks.
    I can't even hobble at the moment.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • YackedupYackedup Posts: 149 Deckhand
    small skiff , yak, gheenoe. rocks everywhere. be careful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Formally known as Anvil :spin
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,754 Captain
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    I can't even hobble at the moment.

Is there a story here...inquiring minds. :)

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
    Billy wrote: »
    Is there a story here...inquiring minds. :)

Bill
    No, went to get up from the kitchen table and knee blew out, 4 hours in ER for a brace and painkillers, Citrus Orthopedics @ 3pm today.
  • BackyardAnglerBackyardAngler Posts: 356 Deckhand
    I see bay boats run through there. Eventually you hit everything there is to hit and then you know the way. Going slow with google earth on your phone helps a lot. On a sunny day you have to put your rain coat over your head to see the screen and then people look at you funny.
    I see bay boats run through there. Eventually you hit everything there is to hit and then you know the way. Going slow with google earth on your phone helps a lot. On a sunny day you have to put your rain coat over your head to see the screen and then people look at you funny.
    been running it since 1966 recreationally and commercial, I promise I have not hit everything yet.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    Sounds like an area that's locals only. Love those places.
  • swampmonsterswampmonster Posts: 337 Deckhand
    If you run Little Homosassa as you think you made it to the Gulf there is a rock bar that gets covered by the tide. You also need a gps because you can get lost back in those islands. All the way from Cedar Key to Chass the backwaters is really a place for people with a lot of local knowledge.