Need a new fishing spot in NE Fl...

KodiakkKodiakk Posts: 1 Greenhorn
Well, thanks to beach replenishment, repairs, and Hurricane Matthew, nearly all of my fishing spots are gone. I usually hit Vilano Beach Pier (closed for repairs), Jacksonville Beach Pier (closed due to Hurricane Matthew), or St. Augustine Pier, which only recently got water under it again (after the beach replenishment project a few years ago), but parking there is practically impossible... and while I don't mind being at the pier before sunrise, I'm not sure how well St. Augustine Pier produces any more, and don't really want to waste the effort.
So, my question is, where else can I go in the NE FL area? I'm almost EXACTLY in the middle between St. Augustine and Jacksonville, so trips to Flagler pier or Mayport, while not ENTIRELY out of the question, do mean at least a 1 hour drive one way... anything closer to home? I've tried a few piers on the St. Johns river, but never had any luck. I'm open to suggestions, however, so... Oh... and surf fishing... I don't know enough about "reading the surf" to know what a good spot would be or not. I hate the idea of surf-fishing without such knowledge because to me it just seems like a "shot in the dark" as to whether you'll catch anything or not... hence, my reliance on piers... at least I KNOW there will be some fish around them, even if it's nothing worth taking home!

Thanks for any suggestions or help you can provide!

Replies

• SizuperSizuper Posts: 293 Deckhand
    In Jacksonville there are 6 bridges on Heckscher Dr between Brown's Creek and Clapboard Creek. Any of those would produce on the right day and I think there is parking available next to all of them. I've caught trout, sheepshead, flounder, reds and others fr these angler-friendly spans. Some of them have convenient fishing piers that run alongside the bridge so that you don't have cars blowing past you a few feet away.

A few feet beyond the last bridge is Huguenot Memorial Park, where you can drive, park and take a relatively short walk to the jetty or a few miles of sheltered shoreline fishing on the river or surf side (which will be more like a harbor than a beach).

Also Helen Cooper Floyd Park has a very long rock shore with access to deep water (like half a jetty)and there is one fishing dock on it if you don't want to stand on the rocks. There are also a lot of shore spots on the other side of this park isthmus on Chicopit Bay.

As for St Augustine, my only knowledge there are the beirdges over the intercoastal. They've usually been very friendly to me if I had the right bait for the fish running. But it's been many years so I don't know what access or fishing pressure is like anymore.

Hope this is helpful.
  • trousertroutmantrousertroutman Posts: 1,332 Officer
    Sizuper wrote: »
    In Jacksonville there are 6 bridges on Heckscher Dr between Brown's Creek and Clapboard Creek. Any of those would produce on the right day and I think there is parking available next to all of them. I've caught trout, sheepshead, flounder, reds and others fr these angler-friendly spans. Some of them have convenient fishing piers that run alongside the bridge so that you don't have cars blowing past you a few feet away.

A few feet beyond the last bridge is Huguenot Memorial Park, where you can drive, park and take a relatively short walk to the jetty or a few miles of sheltered shoreline fishing on the river or surf side (which will be more like a harbor than a beach).

Also Helen Cooper Floyd Park has a very long rock shore with access to deep water (like half a jetty)and there is one fishing dock on it if you don't want to stand on the rocks. There are also a lot of shore spots on the other side of this park isthmus on Chicopit Bay.

As for St Augustine, my only knowledge there are the beirdges over the intercoastal. They've usually been very friendly to me if I had the right bait for the fish running. But it's been many years so I don't know what access or fishing pressure is like anymore.

Hope this is helpful.

Just to update, Sizuper gave some good info but Helen Cooper is closed, you can fish from the entire shoreline east from that area to the coast guard station, but check it out at low tide as tons of debris in the water that will snag up tackle.

I would try the bridge that goes from big talbot island to amelia island called George Crady. One bridge is for cars the other is for fishermen. I would try and net some mullet but if not bring some live shrimp. Fish near the pilings with enough weight to drag the bottom and you should get all sorts of action.
    Make the forum great again.....consolidate general fishing with for sale or business but keep reports separate!
  • CaptGullCaptGull Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    Dude, you need to check out Guana Lake, aka Lake Ponte Vedra. It's along A1A half way between Jax and St. Augustine.

http://www.floridasportsman.com/2012/10/05/features_0810_fishing_guana_lake/
  • SizuperSizuper Posts: 293 Deckhand
    CaptGull wrote: »
    Dude, you need to check out Guana Lake, aka Lake Ponte Vedra. It's along A1A half way between Jax and St. Augustine.

http://www.floridasportsman.com/2012/10/05/features_0810_fishing_guana_lake/

A man could do well on blue crabs there, too.