Home Tropics

Cuba

mikenavmikenav Posts: 857 Officer
I was messing around with the webapp on the Navionics website and saw Cuba is starting to get filled in with new contours and updated charts. And then I started getting excited when I saw some of the drops, flats,etc. Born and raised in Florida, Cuba was always the place just across the horizon that nobody could get to. That's obviously changed.

Anyone who has been down there...is the fishing as good as I think it is? Because it looks DAMNED good from here:

Replies

• BullMarketBullMarket Posts: 186 Deckhand
    Was there last June. Fishing was weak. Much rather fish the Bahamas. The water in 2000' can be still very dark with dead goats floating around here and there. The better water we had was closer to Mariel. Maybe it gets good sometimes but not while the 100 boats that went down were there last June. Also on our way home the best water I saw whole trip was about 30 miles south of Key West. Fly down, don't fish and enjoy the city and the country side.
    Palm Beach Pure Skin Care and Cosmetics PalmBeachPure.com
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 857 Officer
    Perfect!! Thank you for that!
  • CNTDRCNTDR Great Harbor Cay, BahamasPosts: 891 Officer
    I recently changed my boat insurance. Every insurance company that I contacted specifically doesn't cover Cuba and Haiti. Not that anyone would want to take their boat to Haiti
    Great Harbor Cay, Berry Islands, Bahamas
    pm me for rental info.
  • silentfaithsilentfaith Posts: 362 Deckhand
    it was a good thing i had a license and two weeks of loydds/london insurance when i went and got into trouble for giving two bikes away. they actually wanted to take my 600k cat away from me. had a trial and special interest u.s. helped but still doubled my $250. fine.

will only go back when raul's thugs die. rotten bastards all of them. the good people of cuba should kill them all.
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,666 Captain
    it was a good thing i had a license and two weeks of loydds/london insurance when i went and got into trouble for giving two bikes away. they actually wanted to take my 600k cat away from me. had a trial and special interest u.s. helped but still doubled my $250. fine.

will only go back when raul's thugs die. rotten bastards all of them. the good people of cuba should kill them all.

this is the type of fairly common experience that occurs but is not reported. i've told a lot of boaters that I know who go there that one alleged misstep and you could be done.

• BullMarketBullMarket Posts: 186 Deckhand
    When we were there everything was one giant negotiation with the boat. Then they took the liberty of adding $300 to our dock bill for additional "tip" and would not let us leave until we agreed. I would fly into cuba for a few days or take a cruise there but never again on the boat until things change.
    Palm Beach Pure Skin Care and Cosmetics PalmBeachPure.com
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    PassageMaker and others are running group trips. If I was to go right now that is how I would do it. Let a national organization handle the hassle and any issues rather than go independent.
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.