Skip to main content
Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Removing Cookies ???????

Could someone possibly give me a way to remove cookies from my computer. There are so many I can hardly send emails anymore. The typing misses words and letters and sometimes just stops. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• tk's joytk's joy Senior Member Canton, GA/Mexico Beach, FLPosts: 2,490 Officer
    CCleaner (CCleaner /ˈsiːkliːnər/ (formerly Crap Cleaner), developed by Piriform, is a utility program used to clean potentially unwanted files and invalid Windows ...) or Spybot (SpyBot Search & Destroy, free and safe download. SpyBot Search & Destroy latest version: Detect and remove different kinds of spyware from your computer.) either one, and they each have pluses to keep them around. They're both freeware, and I typically run each one at least once a month. Just google either or both and they will tell you what they are.

tk
  • mplspugmplspug Senior Member Posts: 16,011 AG
    Why do you think it's cookies? That doesn't sound like a cookies issue.
    Just dropping grenades in OT
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Senior Member Posts: 5,574 Admiral
    ferris1248 wrote: »
    What operating system do you have?

windows 7 (I think) it's not 10.
    mplspug wrote: »
    Why do you think it's cookies? That doesn't sound like a cookies issue.

Ordered Christmas gifts delivered from K-Mart. In exchange for "free shipping" we agreed to allow something called "New Frog" send us emails on specials. Ever since then the computer is acting up and all the previously blocked emails are coming back through. Think they put something in there.
    Thanks TK will try. Running a Microsoft Scan for the last 20 hours and its not done yet. Will try them next.
  • SpineymanSpineyman Senior Member Destin, FlPosts: 8,377 Admiral
    ferris1248 wrote: »
    How often do you perform maintenance on your computer? Clean your files, caches, etc? Defrag? Manually run a malware program such as Malwarebytes or another malware product? Clean temp files, recycle bin? Do you regularly conduct MS OS upgrades, security downloads?

You say your MS scan had been running 20 hours? Might be time for the Geek Squad or somebody similar.

Boot up computer in safe mode and run malwarebytes then. It should clean up the problem.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• mplspugmplspug Senior Member Posts: 16,011 AG
    Hmm, that still doesn't jump out to me as a cookie issue. They didn't send emails with links or attachments that you opened, did they?

I'd agree with ferris that a virus scan running for 20 hours is a bit long. Might be time to bring it in.
    Just dropping grenades in OT
  • SpineymanSpineyman Senior Member Destin, FlPosts: 8,377 Admiral
    mplspug wrote: »
    Hmm, that still doesn't jump out to me as a cookie issue. They didn't send emails with links or attachments that you opened, did they?

I'd agree with ferris that a virus scan running for 20 hours is a bit long. Might be time to bring it in.

It does sound like a virus that has it locked in a loop. That is why I suggested to run malware in safe mode to bypass the computer os and get to the heart of the problem.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

The scan is progressing, however it may have stopped while the computer automatically shut itself off several times. If these scans don't fix it I will send it in for cleaning. thanks!
    The scan finished last night. There were 1,800,000 items to scan. I believe the scan stopped every time my computer automatically shut down and that extended the time.

Anyway it seems good now. There was one very severe threat. It was labeled a "support scam" . In case anyone else ever experiences that problem. AND it must have came from K Mart as there are no "New Frog" emails today.