best blackfin jigs 200-250 gram?

just got a jiggin rod wanna try it- what are soem favorite tuna jigs 4 the wrecks?
28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
BIG WAHOO
checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• NorthernNorthern Posts: 831 Officer
    If the wrecks are under 250 ft and the Tuna seem to be running under 12#s I like 100 to 170 gram jigs. Both speed and flutter jigs work at this depth. When the wrecks are deeper than that, and the Tuna tend to run larger, 200 to 300 grams jigs seem to be the ticket for me. Especially long skinny speed jigs about 8 inches long.

Harlan, swing by our house and I'll go through the jigs with you.
  • TeamTekeTeamTeke Posts: 947 Officer
    Most of my jigs are 225 gram, except for a few larger ones used for amberjack at the Marathon Hump. I like the UV styles best from Williams. I also buy the knock-offs at big savings, sometimes add lure tape for accents. Best color had been pink/white or white w. mirror strip.
    Happiness is the journey, not the destination.
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,219 Captain
    cool -thanks-!
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    BIG WAHOO
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • kayakerinkeywestkayakerinkeywest Posts: 436 Deckhand
    I bring an assortment of knife style jigs ranging from 3-6 ozs. Use the lowest weight that gets the jig down fast enough that it hits bottom and you are pretty much vertical (vertical jigging doesn't work too well horizontally). So the boat drift and current will determine what weight I use. The lesser the weight means the better action you can impart on the jig as well as rip it faster if you are after Tuna. FLutter style jigs for shallower wrecks and structure or if people are pitching live Pilchards and the Tuna are running up top.

Your going to have fun.
    Youtube - KEY WEST KAYAK FISHING https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkGY6yxE8kogYHKXisMhA2w
    All About The Bait Store - http://www.allaboutthebait.com/
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 493 Deckhand
    If I'm specifically targeting blackfin, I use the Roscoe 'Lil Man jig from Bluewater Candy. It's a smaller, lighter jig but has a good sinking profile so you can still use it in 200' if the drift isn't too fast. It catches anything else that swims or hugs the bottom as well. Stupid looking little lure, and I laughed at my dad the first time he tied one on during a Bahamas trip. Didn't take long before I was griping that he didn't bring an extra for me to use. Also comes in larger sizes, but the smaller one really seems to get the tuna hungry. Tough to find in stores, though. Seriously, though, everyone should give it a try because it's a real eye opener.
  • Eric6708Eric6708 Posts: 44 Greenhorn
    Kokosing, are you using the roscoe with the trouble hook or adding a small assist hook? I used the bigger roscoes when I was stationed in NC and did well on grouper, but never though to try the little one for tuna down here.
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 493 Deckhand
    Thus far, when using the 'lil roscoe, I use it with the stock treble hook. The tuna tend to suck the whole thing down and get hooked deep inside the mouth (but not gut hooked) nine times out of ten with the smaller lure, so no issues with pulled hooks on the tuna. I do pull a fair number of hooks when using the treble for bottomfish, but that seems to happen with single assist hooks as well on the smaller jigs. Some day I'll probably try switching out the treble, since it does snag on the main line with some frequency, but for now I'll keep using them as is until I really obviously lose a fish due to the trebles. FYI, I do most of my jigging with 30# mono top-shot, so I'm not applying crazy amounts of pressure on the line; if I were using heavy braid, the trebles might not hold up to that.
  • fstcatchfstcatch Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Check out Striker Offshore Tackle, they have very high quality lures at extremely reasonable prices, set of 5; 200 gram jigs for $35. Have had great success with their Flat Fall Jigs also. Great prices on poppers.

Check Almost Alive lures, and Overstock bait and tackle.
    thanks! got it!
    BIG WAHOO
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    If you buy Striker Jigs/Lures change out all the Hooks & Hardware...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,892 Admiral

I do that on all of my aftermarket jigs.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• rmeladine1982rmeladine1982 Posts: 43 Greenhorn
    This my have been true when we first got started, but we have made many upgrades on our hardware. These jigs we just got in have 500lb Kevlar line with 4X assist hooks. 

• limitlesslimitless Posts: 557 Officer
    I've been using the newer Striker flutter and speed jigs for snapper and AJs up in the panhandle and they have never failed me.  Great fishermen owned company with good products and fair prices.
    Support the Snook & Gamefish Foundation
    http://sgf.gamefishcloud.com/

Angler Action Program: IAngler app trip log on your phone
  • woodytoowoodytoo Posts: 294 Deckhand
    Never seen the sea striker stuff, thanks for posting the links.   Those flat falls look interesting.  Have not had tuna luck yet with metal, you guys take them all the way to the bottom at the humps?
    Bo G.
    Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
    Lil Woody, Carolina Skiff JVX16
    St Pete and Big Pine Key, Fl
    The Sea Striker jigs shown are excellent quality and value for flutter (slow fall) jigs. I've bought them in several sizes, and will buy them again.

The current may not allow you to take them to the bottom at the humps at times, but try it anyway.  Use a heavy one like the 250 gram and try to stay as vertical as possible.  If you start to loose "vertical" just jig up from that point.  Tuna will shoot up a long way, plus they may be up in the water column  as well.  Watch your electronics for suspended marks.
  • woodytoowoodytoo Posts: 294 Deckhand
    Thanks northern!  Now how about us getting this funk weather out of here so we can get out!
    Bo G.
    Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
    Lil Woody, Carolina Skiff JVX16
    St Pete and Big Pine Key, Fl
    the last big tuna we got at humps hit a flat-fall like above- no strikes, anymore on the 200g speed jigs, aj's , however still ete em
    BIG WAHOO
    I forgot to mention:  If you are dropping a "flat fall" / "slow pitch" type jig in deep water, keep a light resistance on the line as it falls.  This will make it fall straighter and faster for the 1st couple of 100 ft.  Then you can release the resistance and the jig will begin to flutter on free fall.
  • Andyman33Andyman33 Posts: 119 Deckhand
    you guys mark fish first? or just randomly drop out at the hump out there?
    I'd guess that everyone does this different but my thought are:  At places like the hump, you are fishing for fast moving pelagics, that may or may not show up on your screen before you drop.  Tuna and Wahoo can (and will) travel several 100 ft in the time that it takes to make a jig drop.  The only advantage to seeing marks is that you get a rough idea what depth that they are traveling at.  For these fish, I'd drop on structure and adjust the depth of the drop if you see marks.

For demersal fish like Amber Jack, Snapper and Grouper, I like to drop a jig on marks that I see.  There is a much better chance that these fish will still be at the general location of the mark when your jig arrives.
    do I NEED a jigging rod to do this? or will my connley fishing 15-50lb sailfish spinning rod suffice for the once or twice a year we will try this?
    That rod will work.  Jigging rods offer very little advantage if you are using speed jigs, and you don't lose a lot of action on heavy (250 gram) slow pitch (flutter) jigs..... but you do lose some.  Where jigging rods really shine are when you are fishing 200 grams and under, slow pitch jigs.  In this arena, the difference can be quit pronounced. 

If you only do this once or twice a year, don't buy a jigging rod.  The inexpensive ones aren't that much different from your regular rod.  The rods with very different action are quite spendy.
  • bonebone Posts: 1,079 Officer
    Ugly stix makes an awesome jig rod. Matched with a penn 65 spinner and 60 pound braid it's an awesome $200 set up. The bass pro free style jigs with tandem hooks are all I use. 4 or 6 oz. 
    I have a whole.bunch of striker tackle jigs and most of them haven't gotten wet yet .hopefully they will be bloody in 2 weeks
  • PicmanPicman Posts: 100 Greenhorn
    YT jig...

• Grady27Grady27 Posts: 41 Greenhorn
    What pound test braid are you guys using for this?  I assume about 30 pound test mono or fluoro leaders?
    All of the wrecks, and many of the other structures that you drop on, often have Amber Jacks on them.  If the AJs are probably there, I use 50# braid with 60# fluorocarbon leader.  Many times, this may be too light.  Occasionally I will just jig the upper 2/3 of the water column, thus avoiding most of the AJs.  Then I use a spinner with 40# braid and leader.  

Jigging around the reef for various Snapper will work with  30# braid and leader unless a big grouper shows up.  Mackerel like jigs too.  It's always good to have a couple of jigs rigged with wire assist hooks and leader.
    i use 40. it gets down quick!
    BIG WAHOO
  • Grady27Grady27 Posts: 41 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the replies.