Skip to main content
Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Wac to Cedar Key Reds?

Gator4LifeGator4Life Senior MemberGainesville,FlPosts: 576 Officer
Thinking about fishing for reds tomorrow(Friday) in this area but haven't seen any reports lately(Feb.). Even the guide I follow out of Cedar Key hasn't posted hardly any redfish posts. I don't want to spend money on gas and ramp fee and time if they just aren't biting right now. Anyone have any success lately in this area? I'm in a flats boat not an airboat so can't get too far back in the woods.
Grasshopper

Replies

• VertigoVertigo Senior Member Yankeetown, FLPosts: 617 Officer
    It's been feast and famine for me. Some days, nothing, some days a nice red every 15 minutes. I wish I could predict which days would be which, but it really seems random. All the luck I've had is pretty far up the creeks, but nowhere a flats boat can't get. Wind and tide look good for early morning and late afternoon on Friday, but who knows what the fish will be thinking.
  • Jim311Jim311 Senior Member Gainesville, FLPosts: 4,961 Captain
    Hope you went. I haven't been tearing them up every trip but weather or extreme low tides has made things tougher. But on the days fish were biting good we caught a lot of quality fish. There have been days that the reds just flat out weren't eating but the trout were ravenous and vice versa. In fact the trout are big and eating everything in sight in the creeks I've been working. Find rock bottom creeks and structure and you'll find reds in the shallow stuff and trout in the deep bends of the creeks.
  • Gator4LifeGator4Life Senior Member Gainesville,FlPosts: 576 Officer
    I tried to fish up at the mouth of Jack's Creek today for the first time and things didn't go well. When I came off plane about a 1/2 mile from shore I came down right on a rock. Thought that the foot was destroyed but it only got some bumps and bruises. As I trolled in there were rocks everywhere. Flash said it was rocky but didn't think it was that bad. Got the boat stuck on a large rock so power poled down and fished till the tide got me off. Turned around and left with my tail tucked. I'll never go back in my boat. Got back to my "safe spaces" in Cedar Key and caught some trout and a redfish in the regular spots.
    Grasshopper
  • Jim311Jim311 Senior Member Gainesville, FLPosts: 4,961 Captain
    I don't know where jacks creek is but it sounds like my kind of place. Sorry you found a rock. Revisit that spot on a higher tide maybe!
  • kingkong954kingkong954 Senior Member Gainesville, FlPosts: 690 Officer
    Gator4Life wrote: »
    I tried to fish up at the mouth of Jack's Creek today for the first time and things didn't go well. When I came off plane about a 1/2 mile from shore I came down right on a rock. Thought that the foot was destroyed but it only got some bumps and bruises. As I trolled in there were rocks everywhere. Flash said it was rocky but didn't think it was that bad. Got the boat stuck on a large rock so power poled down and fished till the tide got me off. Turned around and left with my tail tucked. I'll never go back in my boat. Got back to my "safe spaces" in Cedar Key and caught some trout and a redfish in the regular spots.

Dangerous tides right now to try that out with, unless you know what you're doing. Wait for the tall tides and coast in on the rising/leave as it starts to fall.

I can hit Jack's Creek with my 22' Pathfinder 2200v in the winter on the right tides.
  • FlashFlash Senior Member Chiefland/Cedar KeyPosts: 12,396 AG
    Dangerous area, especially this time of year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • GatoRellaGatoRella Senior Member Posts: 521 Officer
    There are some bunker busters in that area, you really have to know your way around.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • swampmonsterswampmonster Senior Member Posts: 345 Deckhand
    If you want to fish that area on winter low tides be prepared to spend the night if you get stuck back there. I have seen it when the tide does not come in enough to get a boat out. You can feel rocks in the mud running a airboat. What most don't know is that when the tide moves in so a boat can get in the fish have moved. When spring comes and the fish are on the points during high tide is better time to fish that area.
  • YackedupYackedup Senior Member AnthonyPosts: 149 Deckhand
    airboat country:wink
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Formally known as Anvil :spin