Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

Hunter harvest success in S Fl

binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
A good friend has put together some incredible numbers which show an alarming rate of Hunter success in the S Zone.
Hunt days to hunt success

The numbers reflect Deer and Hog from 2010 to 2016..

When they are ready ill get them published, but to say we have a drop is an understatement.. and if these new AR's really mean we will see an ever further drop, just call it BOHICA

Replies

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,963 Captain
    Isn't this what the FWC currently publishes?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
    i don't know but if u have a link i'd be interested to compare?
  • gottheitch22gottheitch22 fort Meade FLPosts: 4,492 Captain
    Really is sad that the data is right there in front of them and they cant see how bad its getting
    living life as i like
  • eorlandoeorlando Posts: 560 Officer
    Really is sad that the data is right there in front of them and they cant see how bad its getting
    I have to agree. Take for instance DI. The first time I set foot in there was 10 yrs ago and the game in there was unbelieveable. I thought I was in paradise. I made the one big loop and counted deer and hogs and tallied them up. We saw 126 deer and 150+ hogs in ONE LOOP! 22 of those deer being racked bucks. It has slowly went downhill numbers wise as the years passed. This past year I hunted 1st archery and ml in there. During archery each morning riding sat and sun I maybe saw 30 deer each morning and no hogs. ML was even worse I rode all day and maybe saw 20 deer total. I did shoot a nice 8 that went almost 100" though around 4 pm. Scouting trips over the summer saw similar results with few deer. Where are they all going???? Can't kill does in there yet they are disappearing at an alarming rate. Something has to give. Look at the harvest data for big cypress. Less than 100 deer taken yet 5 years ago it was hundreds. Coincedence?? I think not...
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    Eorlando - do you guys spend most of the time in the truck? Seems like you still saw a lotta deer and killed a decent one. Most hunt areas do have ups & downs from one season to the next. However that's not to be confused with whats happening in the south lands do to the panther problem. I'm holding out for the final info the study should produce. BTW Dinner Island still sounds productive. Be safe dude.
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • DropTine797DropTine797 Posts: 681 Officer
    Cats like patternable does and tender fawns
    Unfortunately they don't discriminate against bucks as well...
    Seven down, Eight to go.
    Cats like patternable does and tender fawns
    Unfortunately they don't discriminate against bucks as well...

actually cats take more bucks then doe
    living life as i like
    eorlando wrote: »
    I have to agree. Take for instance DI. The first time I set foot in there was 10 yrs ago and the game in there was unbelieveable. I thought I was in paradise. I made the one big loop and counted deer and hogs and tallied them up. We saw 126 deer and 150+ hogs in ONE LOOP! 22 of those deer being racked bucks. It has slowly went downhill numbers wise as the years passed. This past year I hunted 1st archery and ml in there. During archery each morning riding sat and sun I maybe saw 30 deer each morning and no hogs. ML was even worse I rode all day and maybe saw 20 deer total. I did shoot a nice 8 that went almost 100" though around 4 pm. Scouting trips over the summer saw similar results with few deer. Where are they all going???? Can't kill does in there yet they are disappearing at an alarming rate. Something has to give. Look at the harvest data for big cypress. Less than 100 deer taken yet 5 years ago it was hundreds. Coincedence?? I think not...

Your average person would drive threw or walk around dinner island or and think its amazing still if they had no clue what it use to be like . Actually a better example of a place that use to be great it OK Slough . I Hunt the property right next to it for over 12 years and the game there has been cut down to a 1/4 of what it use to be . Sad part I still find my self just going for walks early morning in the slough to see what I see . Use to see tons of deer and hogs sometimes lucky to see 1 or 2 deer now and have not seen a hog in 5 years .
    living life as i like
    I just toured the National Panther Refuge, you know the place that has been off limits to the General Public for decades...what once used to be a thriving place for ANY fur bearing animals looked like a desert last weekend.

We rode 27miles on a polaris and saw 1 deer, and one Turkey...saw ZERO **** tracks, 2 sets of deer tracks and that was it!

The cats themselves have moved off the property to Northern lands in search of more food to plow thru.

Alico Ranch and the surrounding places are now experiencing the same thing the Refuge experienced 5 yrs ago, a cat infestation and they are tearing **** up as we speak.

2 professionally managed pcs I personally know of have seen far more than a 60% drop in game.

One Grove I hunted many times has gone from an over abundance of deer to U dont see one anymore,and thats str8 north of the refuge.

the S ZONE is on the brink of collapse and nobody from our state is doing anything about it.
    I just toured the National Panther Refuge, you know the place that has been off limits to the General Public for decades...what once used to be a thriving place for ANY fur bearing animals looked like a desert last weekend.

We rode 27miles on a polaris and saw 1 deer, and one Turkey...saw ZERO **** tracks, 2 sets of deer tracks and that was it!

The cats themselves have moved off the property to Northern lands in search of more food to plow thru.

Alico Ranch and the surrounding places are now experiencing the same thing the Refuge experienced 5 yrs ago, a cat infestation and they are tearing **** up as we speak.

2 professionally managed pcs I personally know of have seen far more than a 60% drop in game.

One Grove I hunted many times has gone from an over abundance of deer to U dont see one anymore,and thats str8 north of the refuge.

the S ZONE is on the brink of collapse and nobody from our state is doing anything about it.

FWC SHOULD TAKE CHARGE IN CALLING A SPADE A SPADE
    living life as i like
    In 2010 604 hogs were checked out of the woods.. 482 of them came off Diner Island alone.

In 2016 a total of 11 hogs were checked out of the woods, 1 from Big Cypress, 3 from Diner Island, 1 out of the glades,4 out of FEC, 2 out of OK Slough
  • CrashDuckCrashDuck Posts: 508 Officer
    We need a wall from coast to coast just north of the lake to keep those cougars out of Central Florida.

Maybe Trump can help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Since 2000 in Rotenberger alone, 26 hogs have been checked out. That's an average of 1.6 hog per yr.
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    the death knell for any piece of land,wma or not begins when they let the public in....
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    Land that we can't access is as good as saying there's a 100,000 acres of pristine land in the Gulf of Mexico that 's not really there. You can't appreciate it if you can't access it. Land shouldn't be locked up for only the protectionist to appreciate it. I need land I can walk on.
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,735 AG
    Why don't y'all just shoot the **** things and keep your mouth shut?

Seriously?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    Why don't you support the efforts to help us delist them ?
    Why don't you support the efforts to help us delist them ?
    Just kill them and you ain't got to spend all that time and money.
    You yankees make stuff way more complicated than it needs to be.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    Land that we can't access is as good as saying there's a 100,000 acres of pristine land in the Gulf of Mexico that 's not really there. You can't appreciate it if you can't access it. Land shouldn't be locked up for only the protectionist to appreciate it. I need land I can walk on.

the thread is about the downward spiral of the amount of game taken on WMAs......no WMA has an improved harvest record since it opened to the public..private land seems to hold it's own with this matter.
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    Just kill them and you ain't got to spend all that time and money.
    You yankees make stuff way more complicated than it needs to be.

How ya suppose we do that on the 1,000000 acres not open to the public?
    How ya suppose we do that on the 1,000000 acres not open to the public?

trespass, less time for armed trespass than for killing a cat..

In for a penny, in for a pound.
    crazy its trespassing when its public land
    living life as i like
    If you do NOT include Big Cypress hunter hunter harvest in 2010 was 14 days per harvest, that number has gone to 43 days in 2016 and some people think we dont have any problems down here right?

We are loosing this battle big time at the cost of single species management practices. Who is to blame,many agencies. I personally hold Fl responsible for not stepping in and making an Executive Order to address the problem.

I hope these predators respect AR as well.
  • Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 2,155 Captain
    So you think that the state can issue an order to fix the management plan and the Fed's will change the ESA to make it happen. If it were that simple, it would have happened a long time ago. The state wants the problem addressed as much as anyone but they aren't in the driver's seat on federally listed species.
  • huntmstrhuntmstr Posts: 6,290 Admiral
    Walker Dog wrote: »
    So you think that the state can issue an order to fix the management plan and the Fed's will change the ESA to make it happen. If it were that simple, it would have happened a long time ago. The state wants the problem addressed as much as anyone but they aren't in the driver's seat on federally listed species.

You're wasting your time trying to talk sense to a stone wall.
    Bushnell, Primos and Final Approach Pro Staff. Proud member of the Fab Five, Big Leaugers and Bobble Head 4.

I had you pissed off at hello.
    BTW, congrads on the new lykes job. Please report all cougar activity since we all know they exist on your new job. #wdonthespotnow
  • Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 2,155 Captain
    Thanks Rich. Spot on is what I always aim for.