Casting Net from the Beach?

PanPan Posts: 15 Greenhorn
Hello,

Is it practical to use a casting net from the beach? How about if I were to wade out to, say, hip deep? That last seems hard/impossible to do. Is it?

What size would you recommend in this situation?

Thanks.

PS: I'll be in the Destin area.

Replies

• billdawgbilldawg Posts: 44 Greenhorn
    If you see bait pods then yes go ahead. But if not I personally think blindly throwing a net in the surf would be a waste of time. If you're around an inlet/jetty/canal that'd be worth checking out to throw the net. Depending on what kind of bait you want, consider a double dropper rig with squid or shrimp to catch whiting, small jacks, etc and use them for bait.
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    It depends on the beach. West coast, I do it all the time, sometimes I cast blind in 3 feet of water and get bait 1/3 of the time. Most of the time I toss where the bait pops.
    It's not hard to toss in waist deep water. Sometime you have to carry it in neck deep water to a sand bar, just don't get tangled and drown.
    For size, get a cheap, 1/4inch, lead wt, 6 footer, others will disagree but I have 4ft to 10 foot nets and a 6 foot is my favorite for the beach. I also use a flo-thru with a 4-5 foot rope and a 2lb barbell wt. to keep the bait fresh.

Purists hate them but for the money and what you plan to do I recommend this net. Watch Academy they have them on sale sometimes.

http://castnets.com/ss100L.html
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • SizuperSizuper Posts: 293 Deckhand
    If there are bait visible in the shallows, you can cast net them successfully with a short wade from the beach. But you'll have a lot more luck finding certain baitfish in the intercoastal, bays, etc. And you won't get pounded by waves. Structure on the beach will be the best place to look - they'll hold close to jetties, rocks, walls, etc.
  • GrillaGGrillaG Posts: 1,260 Officer
    yes, done it many times, course that's if u can see the bait, throwing blind is usually waste of time
  • trousertroutmantrousertroutman Posts: 1,332 Officer
    I dont think he is trying to get bait.....I have seen guys do good casting nets around pier pylons and jetties for sheeps head and flounder
    Make the forum great again.....consolidate general fishing with for sale or business but keep reports separate!
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,413 Admiral
    I would think in Destin...the water would be way too clear to be successful cast netting from the beach.

You'd never get close enough to have any luck.

But never the less.....google cast netting sheepshead from the beach and look at the size nets them boys throw.....
    I dont think he is trying to get bait.....I have seen guys do good casting nets around pier pylons and jetties for sheeps head and flounder

Oh that's just wrong.
  • SangsterSangster Posts: 90 Greenhorn
    cpr wrote: »
    It depends on the beach. West coast, I do it all the time, sometimes I cast blind in 3 feet of water and get bait 1/3 of the time. Most of the time I toss where the bait pops.
    It's not hard to toss in waist deep water. Sometime you have to carry it in neck deep water to a sand bar, just don't get tangled and drown.
    For size, get a cheap, 1/4inch, lead wt, 6 footer, others will disagree but I have 4ft to 10 foot nets and a 6 foot is my favorite for the beach. I also use a flo-thru with a 4-5 foot rope and a 2lb barbell wt. to keep the bait fresh.

Purists hate them but for the money and what you plan to do I recommend this net. Watch Academy they have them on sale sometimes.

http://castnets.com/ss100L.html

When you say "6 footer", are you talking about the radius or diameter?
    Sangster wrote: »
    When you say "6 footer", are you talking about the radius or diameter?

Rope length.
  • SangsterSangster Posts: 90 Greenhorn
    Which rope? None of the cast net manufacturers advertise "rope length". They all use "radius". But online I see people refer to the size as the open diameter and also the radius. So if someone says get a 6 ft cast net....is that 12 ft open (6 ft radius) or a 6 foot open diameter?
  • RockslamRockslam Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    If I am standing on land or in water I throw a 4-6ft radius. If off structure or a boat I increase that to 8-10ft radius. Most cast nets are called by the radius so a 6ft net is 12ft open.
    Sangster wrote: »
    Which rope? None of the cast net manufacturers advertise "rope length".

I know. It was a joke.

Can you imagine a cast net with only a 6' rope?
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    This one says 4 foot and 3/4 mesh :wink
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr