Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Flats Boat?

I looking to get a second boat to start fishing real skinny flats and creek mouths. I was thinking a Jon boat with a surface drive motor, like they use for duck hunting. Seems perfect for what I want to do, but I rarely see anyone running them, is there a reason ?

Replies

• AMobleyAMobley Posts: 202 Deckhand
    i run a 35 go devil sd on a 1548 g3. ill send you a pm
  • Catfish_HunterCatfish_Hunter Posts: 261 Deckhand
    saltwater on a briggs/kholer doesn't mix very well. be prepared for lot's of maintenance. the noise and no reverse is a deal breaker for most..
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,630 Captain
    Kayak towed behind or in your boat.
  • AMobleyAMobley Posts: 202 Deckhand
    saltwater on a briggs/kholer doesn't mix very well. be prepared for lot's of maintenance. the noise and no reverse is a deal breaker for most..

you do have to use due diligence with washing it. corrosion x is your best friend.

in 2014 they came out with the "marine" version. I cant tell a different maybe a few more stainless parts. big things is keeping your coils cleaned.
  • VertigoVertigo Yankeetown, FLPosts: 617 Officer
    G3 1548 VBW with a good older 25 hp 2-stroke will get you anywhere you need to go with decent performance, will carry everything you need, and will do it economically.
  • THINKICANTHINKICAN Homosassa, FLPosts: 589 Officer
    Don't know anything about a surface drive motor but I've had good luck with an aluminum skiff getting into some shallow areas. HOWEVER, a Gheenoe, especially the high side, will go anywhere you like and is light enough that if you have to push it off a high spot you can move it much easier than a Jon boat. I have the 16' with a 20 hp Tohatsu and go "where wise men fear". Might want to check with "Billy" on this forum as he and his fishing buddy are experts on shallow water and creeks in Gheenoes.
    SO WHEN IS THIS "OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER" SUPPOSED TO KICK IN?
  • RyanStahl_RRTRyanStahl_RRT Posts: 110 Deckhand
    There are plenty of jon boats around with tiller motors. It would be nice to find a little 4 stroke tiller, i agree the surface drives are on the moisy side from the youtube videos i watched. Ive been in a few Ganoes, just like a little wider boat. As for using things in salt, as with anything else good rinsing is required. I always threw the idea of building a little car wash outside of cedar key, it would so convient if there was one there
    Good point on no reverse, i never thought of that. that could possibly be a deal breaker for me too
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,897 Captain
    I'm running a G3 1756 with a Yam 40 tiller. Cool boat and lots of room. Scary fast and drafts about 10"...
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • barhopper51barhopper51 Posts: 561 Officer
    Don't overlook a Carolina Skiff. Saltwater is brutal on anything aluminum and a C/S won't draft much more, if any, than an aluminum.
    im looking to fish in areas where going to in tight to the bars. Oyster beds are tear up a fiberglass boat far faster than salt is going to break down a aluminum one, in my opionion
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,536 Captain
    Seems perfect for what I want to do, but I rarely see anyone running them, is there a reason ?

Its because they are fishing in places that you cant get to.
  • VolFanVolFan Posts: 73 Deckhand

GatorTail makes one that will go in reverse.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,460 AG
    This is intriguing. Would be moreso with a surface drive.

IMG_2158.jpg
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • GatoRellaGatoRella Posts: 521 Officer
    You should definitely consider polling skiff or tunnel hull. I have an old Renegade Skate that will float in a **** puddle, that is perfect for skinny water sight fishing. It is a trade off between getting shallow and getting beat to death in a chop, but it is one we are willing to make. That is unless you have some real money to spend.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    ripnlips wrote: »
    Its because they are fishing in places that you cant get to.

I'll say I rarely have company in the places I fish. Tunnels jets and surface drives are king for this area, in the winter anyway.
    A surface drive is well suited for operating in weeds and mud, but not the best choice for oyster bars and limestone rock, which is what we're dealing with here. Further a surface drive is noisy, not well suited to saltwater, uncomfortable to operate, and relatively poor on performance and economy. It's just not the best choice for the OP's application. Jets are a somewhat better choice, but they need more Hp to be the equivalent of a prop and are more noisy and way less economical. Jets in summer are problematical because of weed, so if you run a jet, you'll need a prop foot to go with it. Tunnel hulls on skiffs less than about 16' are not really necessary (because they run pretty shallow anyway) and in some ways a tunnel detracts from performance. For getting up the shallow creeks and doing it economically and comfortably, a sub-16' aluminum jon with a light 25hp 2-stroke is the best all-around choice. Cheap, light, economical and plenty of them are available in good shape used.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,583 Moderator
    Good summary Vertigo. ^
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Catfish_HunterCatfish_Hunter Posts: 261 Deckhand
    I can run just about anywhere that one would want to from chass to yankee town in a boat with an outboard. weather it be my gheenoe with a 9.9 or my old 25' wood tunnel hull. never had a need for a mud motor unless i was duck hunting, and that's because of grass and weeds. I've also never seen a mud motor last more than a few years of heavy use in the salt.
  • roachbusterroachbuster Posts: 553 Officer
    this is a 1200 dollar rig brand new excluding trailor that i put together..runs 18mph with just me and I put a trolling motor on front with a little plywood deck..I've had this mudmotor for 4 years and have run the **** out of it. On plane I can run 3 inches over hard bottom and in mud I can go even skinnier..today i ran from yankeetown ramp all the way to sandfly area and back on prob half gal of fuel .and caught these
    Now that's what I'm talking about. Skinny water cheap fun. One reason I wanted the surface drive was to double as a duck boat, only done it a hand few of times, but it was fun. The multiple comments about surface motors not lasting in salt had me thinking maybe it's not for me if that's going to be its primary use. So u guys really thinking picking up a good used 2 stroke 15 or 25 hp outboard is really built that much better to withstand salt? I just have no experience with either. I've had multiple merc 150's, opti max being my personal favorite
    I want to send roachbuster a PM to ask him about his rig, but I don't know how??
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,754 Captain
    I want to send roachbuster a PM to ask him about his rig, but I don't know how??

Highlight his name and click on it. One of the options will be send a Private Message.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • k-dogk-dog Posts: 152 Deckhand
    Vertigo wrote: »
    A surface drive is well suited for operating in weeds and mud, but not the best choice for oyster bars and limestone rock, which is what we're dealing with here. Further a surface drive is noisy, not well suited to saltwater, uncomfortable to operate, and relatively poor on performance and economy. It's just not the best choice for the OP's application. Jets are a somewhat better choice, but they need more Hp to be the equivalent of a prop and are more noisy and way less economical. Jets in summer are problematical because of weed, so if you run a jet, you'll need a prop foot to go with it. Tunnel hulls on skiffs less than about 16' are not really necessary (because they run pretty shallow anyway) and in some ways a tunnel detracts from performance. For getting up the shallow creeks and doing it economically and comfortably, a sub-16' aluminum jon with a light 25hp 2-stroke is the best all-around choice. Cheap, light, economical and plenty of them are available in good shape used.
    Right on point great info.
    The areas in fishing for the last 2 months no propped outboard motor is getting where I'm at..maybe at the last 2 hours of high tide but not on the lower end of tides
    To run, surface drives need to have just as much prop in the water as an outboard. They don't run any shallower than a good flat-bottomed jon, especially one with a jet or a jack plate and a tunnel, or even just an outboard that can be raised or kicked up.
    Mine isn't a surface drive
    Now granted if your running in 3 inches over hard bottom you don't get off plane because then your done..I had to blow by some kayaks last week because the were sitting in between 2 points and I had stopped I would have been bottomed out..on plane the boat v's water into the were the prop sits
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    Surface drives have a rock guard and the prop can kick up. Doesn't happen with my outboard. You can run in mud too which you can't do in a prop or jet. Jets also suck up weeds and foul with rock grass in skinny creeks.