Skip to main content
Home General Paddle Craft

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Insights

Actually, I do have a couple of questions from folks who've either owned or used the OK Prowler 13, the old style original model not the Trident.

I've read reviews that it is a very wet ride and the paddler is continually sitting in a pool of water and I've read that the molded in foot wells are inconvenient and are abrasive, and rub on your feet and ankles.

Thoughts?

Replies

• quatinquatin Posts: 600 Officer
    Fished one for over 7 years. Prowler 13 is definitely a wet ride. The leg wells will have 1'' of water at all times. The seat well doesn't fill up for me though. The molded in feet pegs can be problematic if you have big feet or big legs, but fits me just fine. I don't go in mine barefoot, so not sure about the rubbing part. I've always had rudder pegs and put my heels on the molded in pegs.

I actually miss the molded in foot pegs in the well with my Kaskazi. It allowed me to dig in with my heels when paddling. A lot of power transfer comes up your legs when paddling correctly and it became really apparent when I switched over without a place to dig my heels. All that pressure went to my calves with only the rudder pegs to brace on. I'll eventually condition past it, but it was a nice feature.
  • davederbdavederb Posts: 887 Officer
    Basstar,

I fished one for a few years. Its definitely a wet ride as you are low to the water. My ankles have chaffed against the built in foot pegs. My butt has been soaked many-a-trip. Also, the seat is terribly uncomfortable and your legs will be asleep at times. Its an "ok" starter kayak, but there are much more comfortable yaks with "beach style chairs" out there that are much dryer rides.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Air Force Veteran 93'-00' ~621st TALCE~

2017 & 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12’s
  • quatinquatin Posts: 600 Officer
    Probably depends on where you are fishing. I've put the Prowler through the paces. I've done saltwater inshore & offshore, lakes for stripped bass/largemouths and drifted rivers for rainbow/brown trout. The only time where being wet was a problem is when I fished lakes & rivers in 40 degree weather and had to wear waders. The Prowler is the perfect offshore kayak, because it's built for distance paddling. For lakes & inshore, especially in the cold you might want a wide kayak that is manageable to paddle, but rides really high like the Big Game or Ride 135. River drifting, you want a short fat kayak like the Jackson Coosa, because you only need to steer. I wouldn't recommend any kayak with a beach style chair unless you're going Hobie. They make paddling impossible.
  • yakmacyakmac Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    I still use my prowler.had it for 5 yrs, mainly inshore.I'm 5'11,220# Fits me well.I wear water shoes and like the molded foot wells.I use plugs in all the drains or it gets wetter than I like.usually 2-3 " in leg wells.After 4 or 5 hrs may pull into shore for a stretch and drain water.If its blowing and whitecaps I'll pull plugs.Never sit in water unless its bad out.I also use 2 foam pads,1 under seat and 1 over.Got those at lowes, there called garden kneelers and are perfect fit and width.Only flipped it once when I was anchored and trying to find my cigars in the crate behind me, easy to flip back after pulling plugs.The only reason I've thought to change is for a yak to stand in,but I hate to paddle those wide ones.Its a inexpensive option and generally an easy sell if you grow out of it.Another plus is its light in weight next to the wide ones.
  • krashkrash Posts: 828 Officer
    Many a person has happily fished a Prowler... but not me. I had an Ok ScupperPro which was the defacto predecessor to the Prowlers, similar interior design with scupper and molded in heel cups.
    Sure it was wet, but not like it was taking water over the bow or the sides. I found mine wet if it was raining or very windy with an oncoming side chop.
    I kept the scupper holes in the seat plugged which kept my azzz very dry, and the scuppers in the foot heel area open. My feet were pretty much in water but its hot here and the water is warm. I wear dive booty's so wet was not a problem. Having some water in this area has a benefit that when I caught a nice fish, like a Redfish or Bonefish, you can easily put it in that area use you leg to keep it fomr flipping out and easily paddle to shallow water for a good revival and release.. I fish inshore mostly, and there is enough water to keep the fish breathing and happy for a few minutes, built in live well.
    Paddling this style hull is a pleasure compared to most of todays generation of kayaks.

Its not for standing up although the hull is plenty stable, thats why later hulls like the Tridents had flat floor's. The Prowlers are well know hulls and desired by many in te used market.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • Wra22Wra22 Posts: 237 Deckhand
    I've fished one for ten years. It is a wet ride. The foot wells are not an issue for me. I am 5'10" and 200 pounds. There is some hull slap which in very shallow water is a negative. It is very stable in rough water. I have taken it offshore a few miles out and been in at least three foot seas. Probably more.

I have an upgraded seat which is well worth it if you will be in it 6-8 hours. A yak with a more beach chair seat is PROBABLY. going to be slower, more stable, and not good offshore.

My conclusion is it is a very good all around kayak for fishing. Other kayaks will be better for specific purposes but not as good across all places. I personally do not want the fish box between my legs like a Trident or Kazkaski.

If this is your first yak just remember yoy have to lift it, carry it, and store it.
  • BasstarBasstar Posts: 539 Officer
    Everyone, I want to take a moment to thank each of you for taking your time to share these tips and insights. I'm watching now for a sale and am going to give one a try.

I am a minimalist by nature, don't take a lot of crap with me and will be car topping this kayak as I'm thinking it will be a nice option.

GLGF and again thanks.

AJ
  • krashkrash Posts: 828 Officer
    Try it, you'll like it especially for a minimalist like myself. I also have a Kazkazi Dorado and used that old ScupperPro more thna the Dorado.

If its priced right, don;t procrastinate long or it will be gone.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • DevodudDevodud Posts: 357 Deckhand
    I have a Trident 15 which has similar foot wells and the seat is low to the water as well. Understand that everything in a paddling kayak is a trade off. If you raise the cockpit or seating area to make it dry the kayak is less stable requiring it to be wider, harder to paddle, and slower. Like others have said if you take out the "shark gill" foot rests you sacrifice paddling power and explosiveness needed for surf launching and long distance paddling.

For every bit of performance gained you give up a little comfort and vice versa. I am primarily an offshore angler so the Prowler/Trident hulls are just about the perfect balance. If you give yourself a few trips to get used to the Prowler you will see that it is more of a paddlers kayak than most of the other kayaks sold today, and the comfort factor is not all that bad.

If a person wanted to do inshore and/or short distance trips one of the drier, more comfortable, wider kayaks might be better.
    "If you're gunna be stupid, you gotta be tough"