Homestead/Bayfront 2/4/17

Looking forward to a break in the wind, the wife two kids, two buddies and I decided to go out for a morning trip on Saturday. We left the house at six with hopes to be on the water by seven. Unfortunately on the drive to the marina our trailer decided it wouldn't go another inch.

5802b7da32f94e73605d72ccebdd610f.jpg

570e17be4c71eb9ee711db03d0fd6539.jpg

Called Sean up who came out and fixed it roadside. Fortunately we were a few blocks from Don's bait shop. Grabbed some bait and hit the water. All in all not bad, we were out of the marina by 9 AM.

We anchored up in 57' and had a great day on the water! My buddy Brian caught a beautiful red grouper, must have been close to 30". He went back in to fight another day.

da51fef6c0eda4a1f9e43b82eb9d771c.jpg

My wife caught a 6' green moray. While I was trying to cut him off, removing as much terminal tackle as I could, he bit me. Here is me going for the cut, followed by a picture of my hand in his mouth! Can not explain how bad that hurt for the following hour or two!

b90eea7307a39fbc2fdd4c5fe8a7f413.jpg

e2c9f18f13bcef0785df922c13539920.jpg

All-in-all, the day ended with one Spanish mackerel in the cooler along with 23 yellow tails, ranging in size from 13" to 18". The smaller ones were fried whole and the larger ones made some great filets.

adcee6a80dfaec876bec5856929d86e5.jpg

Kids got creative for this picture.

275e6b92cf2f7920ffa3be580c12315a.jpg

Day ended with being boarded by FWC for a catch-check. Both guys were nice enough and made great conversation with the kids.

We were back home washing the boat and cleaning the fish by 7:00pm. Plenty of obstacles, but we made the absolute best of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Replies

• Hooked4ReelHooked4Reel Posts: 100 Officer
    Here's a better picture of the catch.

0474316cbed4d1c85371a3031c04ddd4.jpg

Had SEVERAL tails taken by the tax collector. Assuming it was a shark or wahoo as there would be a hard run part way through the reel-in, followed by a break-off.

• drsansdrsans Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Nice job! Bummer about the trailer but at least you salvaged the day.
  • Hooked4ReelHooked4Reel Posts: 100 Officer
    Thanks. We were fortunate that Sean had the part and was able to fix it onsite.

• FS ShelbyFS Shelby Posts: 687 Officer
    Nice report and great haul!
  • LurchyLurchy Posts: 383 Deckhand
    That is a cero mackerel
  • stebfishstebfish Posts: 164 Deckhand
    I use the long stainless hook-out tool when dealing with something toothy. Don't like getting that close. Good thing that moray didn't start twisting on you. They don't normally like to let go. Glad you are OK. Good job on the tails!
  • stebfishstebfish Posts: 164 Deckhand
    Probably time to either replace or service the rest of those hubs too! That's pretty incredible you got the trailer fixed that fast!
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,628 Captain
    Nice mess of fish.Way to go!!
  • wellcraftwellcraft Posts: 1,333 Officer
    nice going
    paypallogo.png
    Vertical jigs, Trolling lures, and more! Click the logo!

All V-Series High Speed Wahoo Lures
    http://victorylures.com/trolling-lures/v-series.html

Face Book Page for Victory Lures
    http://www.facebook.com/VictoryLures

Visit My Blog
    www.averticalthought.com
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,061 Officer
    It would be wise to check the other 3 hubs. As you know when one fails the other are likely to fail as well. If and when you do this do yourself a favor and install a set of Airtight Bearing Protectors. I probably sound like a broken record but I highly recommend them. Here's the link to their site. www.airtighthubs.com