2/6 Weedon Island

Had to drop my parents off at Tampa airport so I decided to turn it into a fishing trip. My buddy Danny came along and we took the tandem kayak out to the flats of Weedon Island.

We arrived at the last hour or so of the incoming tide and found reds all over the flat. Spent the next two hours throwing every bait I had in the tackle box which resulted in only one little redfish.

Kept pushing down the flats until we found some bowls out in front of mangroves and oysters. The potholes were full of hundreds of trout, lots of snook and a few redfish. Throwing different baits at them but only spooking them we decided to wait out the staging fish.

About halfway through the rising tide the fish turned on and we nabbed a few snook. I got some on a white, topwater plug and Danny got a couple to eat a DOA Cal on a 1/4 oz jig. Had a few shots at some bigger fish but they turned us down. Weedon Island is an amazing place that is loaded with fish and I will definitely be back soon.

Here's a short video of the day, Let me know what you think!

***https://youtu.be/ISnwA_TcuKE***
Kayak Sensei :stinkfish

Replies

• CtheProducerCtheProducer Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Love that spot, thanks for the report and video. I was out that way later in the day just floating around with the family but no luck. Was not really getting after it though as fishing was not the main objective. Nice to see the fish are holding there.
  • jfcoffeyjfcoffey Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Any chance of getting in there with a boat and having any luck? I have a 25' center console but would be worried about skinny water and/or spooking them away.
  • FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 970 Officer
    jfcoffey wrote: »
    Any chance of getting in there with a boat and having any luck? I have a 25' center console but would be worried about skinny water and/or spooking them away.

Nope.
  • KingCatchKingCatch Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    Depends on the draft of the boat. Some parts of the flats are deep enough on a high tide to get up there.
    Kayak Sensei :stinkfish
  • FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 970 Officer
    KingCatch wrote: »
    Depends on the draft of the boat. Some parts of the flats are deep enough on a high tide to get up there.

Up tight is no-motor zone...
  • nofishtodaynofishtoday Posts: 1,143 Officer
    Video deleted :shrug
  • donkeyhautedonkeyhaute Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    It's still there but for some reason the URL contains the trailing asterisks. Try this one instead.

[video]
  • Bassin AssassinBassin Assassin Posts: 1,248 Officer
    Nice video. Water is so clear. Liked the redfish video too. Good stuff!
    Improve Our Fishery - Practice Catch and Release
  • treyfsh12treyfsh12 Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Where did you start off from? Trying to find some spots around the area with a paddle board