Best 'Live Liner,' 'Bait Runner' type spinning reel?

PanPan Posts: 15 Greenhorn
Hello,

I've decided I'm probably going to go with one of these types of reels. What is the best model? As I said, I'm an amateur.

You know the type I mean? Two drag systems, one to control your live bait and allow the gamefish that hits it to run with it before you 'throw the switch' and engage the main drag system. Again, I'll be surf fishing just e3ast of Destin Florida in the first week of June.

Thanks!

Replies

• NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 556 Officer
    Ive had my shimano baitrunner for 7 years now and it still works like it did the day I bought it with no service. Tank of a reel.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,572 Captain
    You mean there's more than one?
  • PanPan Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    I went with the Penn. I was PM'ing a cousin, several times removed and so a man in his 70's, and he had nothing good to say about Shimano. Since I'll be seeing him at our 43rd straight family reunion, 54 of us this year - naturally many stay in the houses in San Destin, a resort community just across 98 from 4 Mile, though I get to stay in a 4 Mile house:) - in Four Mile Village, in Coffeen Nature Preserve just East of Destin, I thought I'd better take his advice. Thanks, though. And wish me luck! I've had very disappointing runs for the past 7 years there, catching only one Snapper (loads of fish I couldn't name, Ladyfish, rays and those wish-I-could-kill-them sharks - I did catch and land a 3' Hammerhead, which was a damned exciting thing to see up close, though it nearly managed to bite my 19yo girl cousin's foot).

Thanks, Y'all!
    Jeremy