Yankee Capts Pulley Ridge 013017

What Cameron said, plus some.

Since I didn’t need to stop and chase down any bait (I had a couple boxes of squid in the freezer) it was a smooth drive down to Key West only stopping for gas and a bathroom break. I arrived at the boat around 4 pm for an 8 pm departure. We would be running about a 100-120 miles west to do some deep dropping. It wasn’t long before the cast of characters began to form. There were several familiar faces who had been on Pulley trips before but the bulk of people had not done one of these trips, including a group that had flown in from San Diego. Turns out they were somewhat ill prepared. After some discussion and a trip to buy a few essentials, like batteries, they were ready to go. (Here’s where I put my plug in for reading the YC website thoroughly and contacting Greg if still have any questions.) We watched a beautiful sunset while we waited to depart. What’s the saying, “Red sky at night sailors delight, . . .” It wasn’t long before we were on our way and trying to get some sleep in expectation of a busy day ahead.

Key West sunset & Battle stations

The seas were a little lumpy the first day but very fishable. I used 3 lbs of lead most of the day, going to 4 lbs later in the day. We managed to pick at the fish throughout the day, mainly gray tile and snowy grouper. I did manage to get one of the two golden tile that were caught.

Coming aboard & a nice snowy

Around 5pm it was time to pack up the deep drop gear and get ready for the night drift on top of the ridge. After about an hour run we were set up in about 250 feet. The bite was somewhat slow to start. After a salad and Crystal’s steak fajitas I decided to get some sleep. I figured the bite would improve and that Black Fin tuna would show later during the night. Turns out I was right but I didn’t get up in time to participate. From what I was told there were a few grouper, a dozen or so mutton snapper and 2-3 dozen black fins caught during the blitz. I did manage to catch one nice mutton right at sunrise. Shortly thereafter it was time to get the deep drop gear back out as we moved to deep water again.

Pulley Ridge sunrise & Yellow Eyes

The second half of the adage, “Red sky in morning, sailor’s warning”, didn’t hold true. The winds and seas laid down nicely. I used two lb lead most of the day. There was a steady pick all day long. A few AJs, more snowy grouper (a few were really nice), and gray tiles came up but there were yellow eye, hambone, and black fin snapper on almost every drop. Sometimes you could feel them hit before you even got to the bottom. There were a few surprises from time to time such as very small Queen snapper and a Queen trigger that of course had to go back.

Queen Trigger

It was soon time to put the gear away and head back in. After cleaning up, eating a salad and a great chicken spaghetti dinner it was time to hit the bunk. We docked just before sunrise and began unloading our gear. Soon it was time to circle up the coolers as the crew began handing out the catch. I counted at least 22 totes full of fish. The coolers soon started to fill, and in some cases, over flow. The pool winner was a 25 – 30 lb snowy. (Fishing right next to me :cry)

Thanks again to Capt Greg and crew for another fantastic trip.

The trip home seemed to go quickly. I had forgotten how smooth it could be without traffic tie-ups or accidents causing delays. Have to rest up for my next trip a 3 day mutton marathon in a couple weeks.

It amazes me how different each person's perception and experience of the same event can be. I only lost one lead the whole trip and that was my own fault because I let too much line out while I was fiddling with my reel. I had very few tangles and most were pretty simple to untangle. I also only lost one rig and that was because I decided it would be quicker to cut it out of a tangle rather than try to untangle it.

Replies

• cameron sleepcameron sleep Posts: 518 Officer
    Great report Bob. You are totally correct that each person's perspective is very different. I really enjoyed the trip, the great cooking, the excitement of the new people. I've just had never had so many lost sets of gear to contend with. You get into a rhythm while fishing and if that gets interrupted, it can throw off the opportunity to cash in on your share of a hot bite. many tangle on the first day, originated from my fishing spot, possibly the way the boat was drifting or some little thing I was doing wrong. Several times, I came back to the rail to observe trophy quality fish being landed. Capt Greg has said on many occasions that you have to put in your time at the rail in order to assemble a good catch. So true!
  • AOKRVsAOKRVs Posts: 1,948 Captain
    Nice report and pics - should fill the freezer
    that is a huge haul - 22 totes
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marathon, FL -- World Cat 320CC -- Charter Service cheaper than renting

https://www.aokcharters.com/
    573-216-4078

https://www.AOKRVs.com   -- The best prices on the best best brands everyday.

• XafXaf Posts: 1,050 Officer
    Cameron, as I said, I am amazed how each person's experience can be so different. Several months ago I was on a trip where it seemed like every drop I was getting into a nasty tangle or getting hung in the bottom, while a few feet from me people were catching quality fish one after another. I think I went through 10 or 12 weights and about 15 rigs that trip. I wasn't doing anything differently than I normally do. The sad part is that you start to question yourself and start doing things differently which usually only makes matters worse. I got so frustrated that trip that I took a break and just sat down for a while. I guess if everything went perfect every time it would be boring but you sometimes have to wonder who you pissed off.
  • TugasTugas Posts: 186 Deckhand
    Many times just slowing down and realizing that things even them selves out ... I learned a lot about how to approach fishing period from fishing bass tournaments ... when you're in the back of a bass boat getting your *** kicked its even worse until you learn .
  • cameron sleepcameron sleep Posts: 518 Officer
    Xaf wrote: »
    Cameron, as I said, I am amazed how each person's experience can be so different. Several months ago I was on a trip where it seemed like every drop I was getting into a nasty tangle or getting hung in the bottom, while a few feet from me people were catching quality fish one after another. I think I went through 10 or 12 weights and about 15 rigs that trip. I wasn't doing anything differently than I normally do. The sad part is that you start to question yourself and start doing things differently which usually only makes matters worse. I got so frustrated that trip that I took a break and just sat down for a while. I guess if everything went perfect every time it would be boring but you sometimes have to wonder who you pissed off.
    Believe me, I was wondering.The direction of the drift had a lot to do with it, even Bricks was getting tangled, without my help, but not as often as me. The yellow eye bite was awesome,almost jumping in the boat.
  • bite my baitbite my bait Posts: 459 Deckhand
    Fishing started off a bit slow the first day,but picked up at night when the tunas came thru,then early morning mutton bite was really good.Second day of deep dropping made up for the majority of the fish.Capt Greg and the mates worked hard all trip.Nice fishing with you Cameron.
  • stewystewy Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Nice post and fish.....
  • NailerNailer Posts: 304 Deckhand
    Love it. Thank you for sharing this.
  • NorthernNorthern Posts: 875 Officer
    Another great post, commentary, and pictures of a trip to Adventure Land!