Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

I have TWO dumb questions.

I have been having a ton of problems with braided line breaking. I spooled up a bunch of my inshore and near shore rods with 20lb - 30lb braid and am finding after less than 1 year of use it gets very fragile and breaks really easily. Is it because when I rinse the rods off that the line never really dries and therefore sort of rots?

My second question is even dumber...lol

Is this a Red Snapper or a Mutton? We caught 3 of them in 80 feet of water and I originally thought they were Red Snapper and threw them right back in. Until this trip I had never caught either.

20161227_131923.jpg

20161227_125614.jpg
Capt. Wayne Stoutner

Reel Stout Sportfishing

Lake Ontario Salmon and Trout fishing

www.reelstout.com

Replies

• Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 797 Officer
    for offshore fishing, 20-30 lb braid is very light. generally for grouper digging, 50 is a minimum, 65-80 more acceptable.

As far as it breaking, generally braid does not break very easily. Usually it is because there is chaffing in the line from rubbing against bottom, , or you may have a guide that is chipped and causing it to break/cut.

Those are red snapper. You are right to throw them back.
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
  • ComandanteComandante Posts: 289 Deckhand
    They are Red Snapper for sure. Download the Gulf of Mexico Federal fisheries regulations. Therein you will find detailed photos of the snappers and the difference between Mutton and Red snapper will be obvious.
    Capt Gabe Kovacs
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,958 Captain
    I would guess a chip in one of the eyes. It is very hard to break braid. I was dolphin fishing in Islamorada and broke off two dolphin 15-20 pounds that I pitched a bait to. At the dock I thought maybe I had some bad line..Turns out there was a tiny crack in the ceramic eye that was cutting the line.
  • Grey BeardGrey Beard Posts: 102 Deckhand
    Yup, likely a cracked ceramic guide or some other abrasion going on. I had a Shimano Talora with a cracked tip. You can appreciate how much I lost when a 300' 45# copper with flasher and Brad's cut plug along with my Off Shore in-line planer disappeared into the horizon. Shimano replaced the rod but I had to eat the rest.

Grey Beard
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 608 Officer
    Check line roller bearings too, a sticky bearing will do exactly what you're describing to braid.
  • pretzelbpretzelb Posts: 120 Deckhand
    stoutner wrote: »
    I have been having a ton of problems with braided line breaking. I spooled up a bunch of my inshore and near shore rods with 20lb - 30lb braid and am finding after less than 1 year of use it gets very fragile and breaks really easily. Is it because when I rinse the rods off that the line never really dries and therefore sort of rots?

My second question is even dumber...lol

Is this a Red Snapper or a Mutton? We caught 3 of them in 80 feet of water and I originally thought they were Red Snapper and threw them right back in. Until this trip I had never caught either.

20161227_131923.jpg

20161227_125614.jpg

I also use 30lb Power Pro and am VERY disappointed in its performance.. Have it on a brand new Spinfisher V 5000 and a brand new rod. It constantly breaks off. I am ready to go back to good ole mono.... I find that tying knots are a major PITA :banghead especially when connecting to leader material..

Just my 2 cents worth..
    Power pro in 30+ lb randomly breaks all the time on me, do yourselves a favor and try suffix 832, switched to it years ago and never looked back. Good luck breaking it if you hook a snag drifting though..
  • stoutnerstoutner Posts: 255 Deckhand
    Thanks guys. One of my rods did have a screwed up guide and it was most likely the problem. Maybe I should also step up to a better quality braid. The line I am running is the "Bass Pro" braided line. I do have 65lb Power Pro on a couple other rods and have had no problem with it yet. I think I might try the Suffix 832 when I respool.
    Capt. Wayne Stoutner

Reel Stout Sportfishing

www.reelstout.com

Grey Beard wrote: »
    Yup, likely a cracked ceramic guide or some other abrasion going on. I had a Shimano Talora with a cracked tip. You can appreciate how much I lost when a 300' 45# copper with flasher and Brad's cut plug along with my Off Shore in-line planer disappeared into the horizon. Shimano replaced the rod but I had to eat the rest.

Grey Beard

No Doubt! I have had that happen with my Power Pro Backer on 500' cooper. That sucks...and is very expensive. Copper, flasher, fly....bye bye.

I do have a 300 Copper set up in Florida but have not tried trolling with it yet.
    Capt. Wayne Stoutner

Reel Stout Sportfishing

www.reelstout.com

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    I have Suffix 832 in 30# and it doesn't cast for squat. It sort of binds on itself in the spool. PP Super Slick is much, much better in my opinion. But... if you're just dropping it straight down and casting isn't a concern the 832 might actually hold up better than the super slick does.
    Also... if you're finding that your rod eyes are fine and you're not doing anything else to compromise the line, it could be that you unknowingly bought some Chinese knock off power pro... there's a ton of it out there and most people have no idea... and what you're describing is exactly what it does.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
  • WadeFishermanWadeFisherman Posts: 439 Deckhand
    Also... if you're finding that your rod eyes are fine and you're not doing anything else to compromise the line, it could be that you unknowingly bought some Chinese knock off power pro... there's a ton of it out there and most people have no idea... and what you're describing is exactly what it does.[/QUOTE]

First Chinese dry wall, now Chinese PowerPro...I know there are so many other Chinese rip offs, like DVDs, etc...even on eBay, they have it set up with free shipping from China and they undercut everyone
    kmagnuss wrote: »
    I have Suffix 832 in 30# and it doesn't cast for squat. It sort of binds on itself in the spool. PP Super Slick is much, much better in my opinion. But... if you're just dropping it straight down and casting isn't a concern the 832 might actually hold up better than the super slick does.
    Also... if you're finding that your rod eyes are fine and you're not doing anything else to compromise the line, it could be that you unknowingly bought some Chinese knock off power pro... there's a ton of it out there and most people have no idea... and what you're describing is exactly what it does.

The problem is that I like to have some of the same rod and reels for in-shore as well as near shore. I'll try that super slick if you say it works well for you, I'm sure it will be good. The line I have been using is that Bass Pro green generic braided line. I bought it because I have a Bass Pro about 15 minutes form my house up here in NY.
    Capt. Wayne Stoutner

Reel Stout Sportfishing

www.reelstout.com

The super slick is definitely better, I think I get more tangles with it vs. 832 but it does cast well. If you try 832 the trick is to wind it on super tight (and throwing the spool in a bucket of water helps too, with all braid). Best to let the store spool you up if youre not used to braid, a lightly spooled braid will bind causing the drag to be useless, casts bad, and results in more tangles, not to mention once you tighten it up you will watch your full spool shrink to a 1/2 spool.
  • teamfiveteamfive Posts: 93 Greenhorn
    I was taught a long time ago how to tie a knot to braid that makes it simple , double it up, using the double pieces tie the same knot as tying your shoes, slide your swivel back through the loop, pull it tight. I have used this and caught many big fish, never failed.
    teamfive wrote: »
    I was taught a long time ago how to tie a knot to braid that makes it simple , double it up, using the double pieces tie the same knot as tying your shoes, slide your swivel back through the loop, pull it tight. I have used this and caught many big fish, never failed.

That is my favorite knot. It is called a Palomar knot.

palomar.jpg
    Capt. Wayne Stoutner

Reel Stout Sportfishing

www.reelstout.com

• RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Power Pro super slick. 65lb for grouper rods, 30lbs for light action snapper rods. I've had the same braid on my rods for probably 3 years and never had a single problem.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • teamfiveteamfive Posts: 93 Greenhorn
    Thanks Wayne, I wasn't sure of the name, that knot is all I tie with braid! I only get to fish florida 3,4 times a year most of the gear stays there, I've switched most of it over to power pro,30/65 it's some tuff stuff! I like the way you can feel the bite so much better! And for trolling you get allot better depth ratio per foot!
  • VeikxVeikx Posts: 611 Officer
    Had 40lb super slick on my charter rods. Constantly break with larger fish, new rods so no issues with the guides etc. switched to suffix and now have redone all my rods in suffix. My super slick came straight off the big spool at WM.
    Offshore Hunter Fishing Charters

http://www.offshorehuntercharters.com

Like us on Facebook!
    https://www.facebook.com/offshorehunterfishingcharters

2005 Yellowfin 31 df/250's
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    Veikx wrote: »
    Had 40lb super slick on my charter rods. Constantly break with larger fish, new rods so no issues with the guides etc. switched to suffix and now have redone all my rods in suffix. My super slick came straight off the big spool at WM.

Crazy... I've only had one line break on an estimated 140 lb tarpon and I have a hunch it was because the bait I was using got a little wrapped around a piling a few minutes earlier and probably had a nick in it.
    I will agree though that the Suffix 832 seems beefier.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters