Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

9 tarpon and 11 snook tonight...

The water was on fire tonight with all the tarpon acrobatics. It was non stop action for the first 2 hours of the incoming tide... at one point I jumped 3 tarpon in a row casting in the exact same spot. Water temp was 69 degrees and the fish were hungry... maybe because of the high winds lately? Who knows, but it was a blast. The bad part is I can't get one to the boat if my life depended on it. Went 1 for 9 tonight. That's pretty poor. I bent 4 hooks on fish that were around 30 pounds. I'm not using much drag but it seems that the hooks are bending on the head shakes... so here's my plan (since I don't want to stop using those hooks just yet)... I'm going to try a rod with some 10# mono to give it some stretch... that should cure the hook bending issue... but it will most likely make my hook sets pretty lousy. Worth a try I guess.
As for the snook... they were all over. Smallest was 22" and the top 4 were 28" with 3 27 inchers. The snook have been gobbling up the big 9" Hogy eels lately... and the pre-rigged ones don't fall apart after a couple fish like most jigs do... I used the one all night until I lost it on what I'm guessing was a small goliath that pinned me to the bottom. Super fun night... get out before this cold weather turns off the bite!

-Mag

66F25CD1-37CB-48FB-AE53-51429B55A861_zpspdkxexxj.jpg
A50AB380-33AB-40F8-A4AA-CFF017784F2C_zps42frhj7h.jpg

This is one after the hook flung out of a tarpon and it got me in the leg... it was a ninja tarpon!

53E843C4-0D75-4038-9A5D-AD72D6497894_zpswifpxcrh.jpg
11BD5B82-6D78-4845-8026-8B495817D206_zpsck5bnuwc.jpg
338F2A8D-7519-4BFB-A800-BF1EDD2CF2FF_zpshfykdhkn.jpg
31E88C59-2811-417D-8C6B-F698557E4190_zpshyigmfqf.jpg
32CA2912-C339-430A-BC3E-EDBD10A1EECD_zps21ljmgbq.jpg
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters

Replies

• Real VReal V Posts: 465 Officer
    Wish I could of gone with you, but after my massage I am suppose to take it easy for a day to let what she works on to heal. now I should be good for another month.
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 5,630 Admiral
    Lol, you catch about as many snook a night that I catch in a year. Well done. I won't be back in the area till the week of April 16th. I wish I lived down there, but alas I am happy my in-laws do and I can at least fish a few weeks out of the year. Well done Mag, impressive. Snook is my personal favorite fish to catch.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • StryderStryder Posts: 172 Deckhand
    Just tossing this out there as an idea not saying I am right - if you go to lighter line I would suspect you will increase problems with line breaks due to lower resistance to abrasion, when line contacts structure, gill plates etc. If you like your hooks maybe consider a rod that is a bit longer with softer tip and mid section. A more parabolic type action should absorb more shock and MAY lighten the load on the hook. If you try this, you will probably find you are going to have lean back a little more than you are used to turn the fish away from structure when required. Good for you on great night of action.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    I like your thinking but mono is actually more abrasion resistant than braid. I do agree with the lighter rod strength though. I'll try the line first and then I'll go with a lighter rod if that doesn't work.
  • Real VReal V Posts: 465 Officer
    kellercl wrote: »
    Lol, you catch about as many snook a night that I catch in a year. Well done. I won't be back in the area till the week of April 16th. I wish I lived down there, but alas I am happy my in-laws do and I can at least fish a few weeks out of the year. Well done Mag, impressive. Snook is my personal favorite fish to catch.

You never see Kmag smile in a snook picture. They are a pest to him, now on the other hand look a his tarpon pics grin from ear to ear. I'm a snook guy myself.
    Haha... that's sort of true. I'll crack a grin when they start getting into the mid 30's and above though. :)
  • stoutnerstoutner Posts: 255 Deckhand
    Good point about the rod. We catch 25 - 30 lb Salmon in a fast moving river on 15 lb mono with tiny hooks size 6 or 8 or even smaller in some cases. Most are caught using really long fly rods or 10'6 (or longer) noodle rods.

Something like this would work very well I would bet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tica-Hlhb106mh2s-Salmon-Steelhead-Spinning-Fishing-Rod-medium-Heavy-10-feet-6-/231890927792
    Capt. Wayne Stoutner

Reel Stout Sportfishing

Lake Ontario Salmon and Trout fishing

www.reelstout.com

• mlangemlange Posts: 101 Deckhand
    10#main line, or just a leader? I know floro doesn't behave well on spinning tackle as a main line, but if I was jumping in your boat tonight. I'd have a casting reel spooled with 20# floro and a 8' 1-4 oz rod. Are these fish line shy at night?
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 5,630 Admiral
    Real V wrote: »
    You never see Kmag smile in a snook picture. They are a pest to him, now on the other hand look a his tarpon pics grin from ear to ear. I'm a snook guy myself.

Some people fish to catch monsters, I fish because I love fresh seafood for dinner. :)

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,004 AG
    Nice work. Jealous. :)
  • GatorInPISoundGatorInPISound Posts: 543 Officer
    Are you bouncing your eels or reeling em straight in? Thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Trust in the LORD and receive HIS many blessings....
    Most times I'm reeling straight in.