First Ozello Red on fly... 18th - 20th

Thanks to all who helped point me in the right direction. Fished in the morning on Wed. - ran out front (too far) but did a little exploring. Came back in and spooked more than a few fish in the creeks but didn't get any takers on my fly. Went back out late afternoon and caught my first Ozello Red on fly! I have put in more than a couple of days with the fly rod up your way and fiinally... Put her up on the cooler with my fly rod - grabbed my phone and dead battery :>(( It was around 25" and a little skinny. Sorry no pic.

Went back out with the wife Wed. morning - switched to a jig tipped w shrimp and caught the larger snook and two rat reds. While I was heading back to the creeks my steering went out (that's a little freaky)... Thank God I was in the main channel and it was uneventful. Fished my way home on the trolling motor but no takers....

Thursday morning wind was up and everything looked different from the two windless mornings I had Wed. and Thurs. Got the little snook on a fly I tried to make look like a mud minnow... Really cool to see them so small and aggressive!!

Spent three days with the wife in what I consider to be paradise! Sunsets and sunrises were awesome and we hit the weather perfect this time!!! Thanks again can't wait to get back up your way! Anyone headed to South Florida that needs a little help don't hesitate to email me.

Replies

• butchbalbutchbal Posts: 466 Deckhand
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 4,192 Captain
    Nice work
    You should have been here yesterday
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,721 Captain
    Glad you are having success and enjoying our beautiful area. I have to make myself stop and enjoy the beauty around me. It's too easy to get caught up (p) in the excellent fishing and miss out on the rest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,131 Moderator
    Thanks , come back anytime. :cool: Cool , seeing a baby snook. Hope a freeze don't get them.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • YackedupYackedup Posts: 149 Deckhand
    Flat Nuts wrote: »
    Thanks to all who helped point me in the right direction. Fished in the morning on Wed. - ran out front (too far) but did a little exploring. Came back in and spooked more than a few fish in the creeks but didn't get any takers on my fly. Went back out late afternoon and caught my first Ozello Red on fly! I have put in more than a couple of days with the fly rod up your way and fiinally... Put her up on the cooler with my fly rod - grabbed my phone and dead battery :>(( It was around 25" and a little skinny. Sorry no pic.

Went back out with the wife Wed. morning - switched to a jig tipped w shrimp and caught the larger snook and two rat reds. While I was heading back to the creeks my steering went out (that's a little freaky)... Thank God I was in the main channel and it was uneventful. Fished my way home on the trolling motor but no takers....

Thursday morning wind was up and everything looked different from the two windless mornings I had Wed. and Thurs. Got the little snook on a fly I tried to make look like a mud minnow... Really cool to see them so small and aggressive!!

Spent three days with the wife in what I consider to be paradise! Sunsets and sunrises were awesome and we hit the weather perfect this time!!! Thanks again can't wait to get back up your way! Anyone headed to South Florida that needs a little help don't hesitate to email me.

:wink
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Formally known as Anvil :spin