Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Venice Near Offshore 1/20

We caught and boxed.a nice mixed bag this morning in 50 ft. Of Water. Lane snapper, Mangrove snapper, Porgies and several real nice sea bass. Big fish action had us tussle with two Goliath groupers. We did not see any AJ or Cobia today.
Capt Gabe Kovacs
23 ft. SeaCraft, 21 ft. Carolina skiff.

Replies

• whipachawwhipachaw Posts: 505 Officer
    I have not seen a sea bass in 25 years or more. I was just wondering why the other day and thought maybe because our winters are warmer they don't come as far south in large numbers anymore. You are north of where I fish, but not that far. I remember them being quite yummy.
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,760 Moderator
    Good to have fish in the box for the ride home. We catch a few small black sea bass every year.
    larrywitt
  • stoutnerstoutner Posts: 255 Deckhand
    whipachaw wrote: »
    I have not seen a sea bass in 25 years or more. I was just wondering why the other day and thought maybe because our winters are warmer they don't come as far south in large numbers anymore. You are north of where I fish, but not that far. I remember them being quite yummy.

We catch them every now and again out of Stump Pass (Englewood). But...I went up to Clearwater to fish with a friend a few weeks ago and we landed 5 keeper Sea Bass and at least 2 or 3 smaller sea bass. All in about 50 or so feet of water.

sea%20bass.jpg
    Capt. Wayne Stoutner

Reel Stout Sportfishing

Lake Ontario Salmon and Trout fishing

www.reelstout.com