7/14 Offshore Report JP

Well I haven't been out in 2 months due to the windy weekends so it was nice to finally head offshore. The goal was mangrove snapper but we weren't nearly as successful as previous trips, maybe this was due to the moon phase or maybe my previous spots aren't holding them this time of year. I netted about 3 or 4 dozen small to medium pins on the flats, no whitebait. First stop was in 75 ft, no mangos just a few seabass and junk fish.

Second stop was in 90ft where I had previously caught some of my biggest mangos. Only caught 2 small mangos, some junk fish, gag, short RG's, a first ever monster lionfish, and about 30 ARS. So many ARS they were stacked up 10-20ft before we chummed(sorry no pics). A little bit disappointing trip, but I guess we learn something every time we go out, also caught 2 octopus. Any clues to where the mangos were? Are the ARS just so overwhelming that they are pushing them off of there normal homes?

Replies

• clarosaclarosa Posts: 567 Officer
    All my mango spots near the pipe past 75' have been taken over by ARS. By the thousands....the mango's are still there, just nearly impossible to get past the ARS as anything a mango eats, an ARS will eat. It's a numbers game..there are just WAY more ARS than mango's plus they have an insatiable appetite that is relentless so its nearly impossible to get past them. I'm not sure where it goes from here with our Mango fishery...
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,034 Moderator
    We were out 12/28 and experienced the same ARS infestation "problem". 80' and they were a nuisance, some nice fish, too. 22 incher after 22 incher.
    Did you keep the Lion?
  • J BoneJ Bone Posts: 172 Deckhand
    Reel-Lucky wrote: »
    We were out 12/28 and experienced the same ARS infestation "problem". 80' and they were a nuisance, some nice fish, too. 22 incher after 22 incher.
    Did you keep the Lion?

Yes we did keep him, made fish tacos, the meat looked and tasted like hog.
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,034 Moderator
    Mmm, Mmm, lion tacos. Good stuff.