Home Egret Boats

Lowrance HDS 9 Mount

joebjoeb Posts: 5 Greenhorn
Guys,
I have a 2013 189 with Yamaha 150 and a Lawrence HDS 9 Touch. The Lawrence is mounted on the right side of the console. I find that the screen is often obscured by the throttle/shift lever (and my hand) and I'd like to raise the HDS about 4 or 5 inched to eliminate the problem. One way to do that is to use a mount such as the BalZout or Sure-Lok. Has anyone used either of these? Do you have any comments about them or any other solutions from your own experience with your Egret.
I find this forum to be the source of a lot of very useful information and any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks
Joe

Replies

• Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    RAM mount with 1.5 or 2" ball. I have seen that before with a GPS mounted there directly to the console on a gimbal and its really a poor location for a number of reasons.
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    Here's the mount Master Repair hooked me up with.

IMG_20170127_140920800.jpg

You might find some low quality Egret factory rigging when you change mounts. Instead of disconnecting the network cable from the female end to run the cables, the factory cut the network cable and spliced it back together with electrical tape. Amazing what kind of boat you get for $65K.

IMG_20161121_083720601.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
  • Captain BackyardCaptain Backyard Posts: 441 Deckhand
    wow, that's embarrassing.
  • Vinny lVinny l Posts: 382 Deckhand
    What took so long to find it?
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    wow, that's embarrassing.

What really embarrassing is what this boat looks like. But regardless everybody is different and what is important to one is not to another.

With regards to the wiring, if in fact it left the factory that way. It could have been done better. But after seeing the boat in persons and some of the personalized changes he's made to his boat. This looks like one of his engineering marvels.

Amazing what kind of boat you get for $65K. This is really subjective. I walked thru the Ft. Lauderdale boat show last year. As I was interested to see what the hype was on some of these new Hybrid Bayboats that several builders have introduced into the market in the last year or so. The fit and finish was not to what I would consider acceptable for a custom builder. In one of those them, I walked away thinking they don't have a clue. In case you wondering, the base prices are all over $100, 000.

However, I did speak with the owner of one of these companies and was please to hear that what I mentioned to him was already being addressed.
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    Great fit and finish
    http://barkerboatworks.com/build-my-barker/
    Young Boats, Yellowfin, Islamorada--Tom Gordon built.

Pricing well north of Egret.
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
    Great fit and finish
    http://barkerboatworks.com/build-my-barker/
    Young Boats, Yellowfin, Islamorada--Tom Gordon built.

Pricing well north of Egret.

Yes the lines on the Barker are beautiful. What can I say about the bottom...For high speed efficiency it awesome. (Same hull bottom design is being used by other builder) The wiring is top notch.

Well maybe the one Barker I got on at the boat show was a lemon... But hatches on the deck were sticking up. Also, the bottom side of the hatches look identical to the bottom side of the hatches on a 24 yellowfin. That was at the show too. Now this is 2016 when I saw this boat, But in 1995, the hatches for my Egret were built and they have a better finish that this 2016 Barker. That as you say is way north of an Egret. One would think that for the money and that now, 21 years later other custom builders would come up with something to impress the industry.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    Yes the lines on the Barker are beautiful. What can I say about the bottom...For high speed efficiency it awesome. (Same hull bottom design is being used by other builder) The wiring is top notch.

Well maybe the one Barker I got on at the boat show was a lemon... But hatches on the deck were sticking up. Also, the bottom side of the hatches look identical to the bottom side of the hatches on a 24 yellowfin. That was at the show too. Now this is 2016 when I saw this boat, But in 1995, the hatches for my Egret were built and they have a better finish that this 2016 Barker. That as you say is way north of an Egret. One would think that for the money and that now, 21 years later other custom builders would come up with something to impress the industry.

Quit pu*sy footing around and tell us what you really feel?
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
    Quit pu*sy footing around and tell us what you really feel?

Ok you asked for it...The Barker is a beautiful boat but with all the hype, the price and the sleek lines and promise of speed, comfort and luxury. For crying out load. Why not make a few more molds and have hatches like an Egret!

The Sea Vee Bayboat...Well I haven't seen one on the water. Most likely, this one will go to the same place that their flats boat did. Into the memory of forgotten builds.

The Hells Bay - Bayboat....Well I'm holding out until I can go for a ride and not a pu*sy footing ride in some lagoon or intercoastal...But a Egret 18 sea trial ride out of Port Everglades or Government cut.:grin
  • captraycaptray Posts: 52 Greenhorn
    What year and version of this forum is it? Can we invite all the old ECC folks, Hewes18, et al?

Honestly, if you want a nice (actual) bay boat, Cape Horn's Cape Bay is a great option.

They're in the same price range as Egrets/Moccasins, they ride great, have nice options and are well thought out.

If I had to consider something other than my Moccasin, I'd give the Cape Bay another look. Everything else is getting so overpriced it's ridiculous. $100k for a bay boat is just dumb, but if you've got the money, whatever.

As far as wiring goes, I haven't seen anything remotely close to that garbage posted above on my boat. Not assigning blame, but that looks like crap.
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    The wiring on my bird is all tighter than a rat's aess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 559 Officer
    captray wrote: »
    Honestly, if you want a nice (actual) bay boat, Cape Horn's Cape Bay is a great option.

They're in the same price range as Egrets/Moccasins, they ride great, have nice options and are well thought out.

If I had to consider something other than my Moccasin, I'd give the Cape Bay another look. Everything else is getting so overpriced it's ridiculous. $100k for a bay boat is just dumb, but if you've got the money, whatever.

The Cape Horn 23 Bay is a **** nice boat. I would have bought one but talked myself out of it when I measured the draft at 15". I couldn't blame anyone for going with that boat though.
    The Young 20 Bay and the Cape Bay were considered. Both beautiful boats but the Moccasin got the nod and rightfully so. The Moc had everything I was looking for, low draft, minimum planing speed, less engine, dryness, stability soft ride and superbly built with the best materials. A couple more weeks and my wife and I will be fishing on it.
    Vinny l wrote: »
    The Young 20 Bay and the Cape Bay were considered. Both beautiful boats but the Moccasin got the nod and rightfully so. The Moc had everything I was looking for, low draft, minimum planing speed, less engine, dryness, stability soft ride and superbly built with the best materials. A couple more weeks and my wife and I will be fishing on it.

Hopefully before the wind starts cranking 20 - 25 mph every freekin day until mid May. But at least you got a boat that you can go fish the park and hide from the wind.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    captray wrote: »
    What year and version of this forum is it? Can we invite all the old ECC folks, Hewes18, et al?

As far as wiring goes, I haven't seen anything remotely close to that garbage posted above on my boat. Not assigning blame, but that looks like crap.

You generally get what you pay for. 1.2 mil to get a good bay boat to final working molds with development, testing, and tooling costs. That is just the start. You have to advertise and pay overhead to get it sold. The company needs to make this back and add a cost per unit for this. Dumb would not be my wording. They are selling.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • captraycaptray Posts: 52 Greenhorn
    You generally get what you pay for. 1.2 mil to get a good bay boat to final working molds with development, testing, and tooling costs. That is just the start. You have to advertise and pay overhead to get it sold. The company needs to make this back and add a cost per unit for this. Dumb would not be my wording. They are selling.

I understand the economics of it from the perspective of the manufacturer, and I wasn't calling their pricing or business model dumb. My point is, for the consumer, it's a steep price for not much difference in most cases. You're still getting a 22-25 foot bay boat, same motor(s), same trolling motor(s), and usually similar electronics, just to catch some fish or take your family out.

Most of those bay boats that are North of $100k right now (Yellowfin, HB, et al) don't need to recoup that much or spend a great deal on building their already well established brands. Yes, they have expenses, but they aren't all sunk costs either. I know YF's waiting list is long and business is booming. I looked into buying one prior to my Moccasin. They aren't hurting for cash.

Like I said, if you can afford it, go nuts. Most people with that kind of money aren't dumb either. For those of us that aren't rolling in piles of money, that is a crazy amount of money for a 22-25 bay boat when you can get something comparable (maybe not the best in every category) for $60k-70k or less.

Just look at MHP boats. I don't make fun of them or people that own them (I've owned a Hewes). Yeah, they aren't they best, but they get the job done. I caught loads of fish on that thing and paid $17k for it.

Too much pomposity surrounds the Egret community.

Just relax and enjoy the fact that you have a nice boat and can fish.
    Vinny l wrote: »
    What took so long to find it?
    Busy fixing other problems and it was working. Trim tab wiring looked the same. New boat owners in the price of Egret should not have to disassemble the boat to check every wire but they are stupid if they don't.
    Here's trim tab wiring. Instead of paying a couple of bucks for the correct junction box from Bennett the factory just hacked and spliced again. Couldn't be bothered to seal the heat shrinks either. You guys who say your wiring is great might be like the guy who said his trolling motor was bolted on when it was half screwed. You think your wiring is great but unless you clip all the ties and look you could be living in a fantasy land.
    IMG_20170201_224453890.jpg
    20160116_154316-1.jpg
    Junction box from Bennett
    P398248_1.jpg
    This looks like one of his engineering marvels.

Are you calling me a liar?
    mbowers wrote: »
    Are you calling me a liar?

No.
    What I should have said was the work you have done on your boat is a mess and looks like [email protected] But to each his own. I don't have to like it or agree with it. the only one that has to like it and be happy with it is you. I personally would have sold that piece of [email protected] along time ago. Life's to short to continue to **** and moan about a boat.

In case you or anybody what to take a look at the pictures I took of your boat. Here's the link: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?182034-Gel-coat-repair-experience&highlight=egret+repair
    No.
    What I should have said was the work you have done on your boat is a mess and looks like [email protected] But to each his own. I don't have to like it or agree with it. the only one that has to like it and be happy with it is you. I personally would have sold that piece of [email protected] along time ago. Life's to short to continue to **** and moan about a boat.

In case you or anybody what to take a look at the pictures I took of your boat. Here's the link: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?182034-Gel-coat-repair-experience&highlight=egret+repair

What looks like crap? Some overflow caulking that will disappear when the boat gets painted?

It is good to see you admit Egret built a piece of [email protected] though and you would have gotten rid of it already.

Thanks for posting unauthorized pics of my boat. One of the more unprofessional things Egret has done.
    mbowers wrote: »
    What looks like crap? Some overflow caulking that will disappear when the boat gets painted?

It is good to see you admit Egret built a piece of [email protected] though and you would have gotten rid of it already.

Thanks for posting unauthorized pics of my boat. One of the more unprofessional things Egret has done.

I took the pictures and you were there when I took them without any objection on your part. Additionally, the only thing I did was add a link to a previously posted thread on a public forum. Were someone else had posted them. At which time you did not make any objections. Secondly, The opinions expressed are my own and that has nothing to do with Egret.

With regards to your displeasure of these photos and the boat getting painted. Please post the photos of your boat in it's current condition with the non-skid application to disprove how the boat looks. Also, give us an update of the injector warranty issue on the Mercury.
    No.

What Pete said was "THE WORK YOU HAVE DONE ON YOUR BOAT IS A MESS AND LOOKS LIKE *****" not, that Egret made you a POS. Personally, I would get rid of the problem instead of constantly complaining about it.. Complaining gets old.
  • joebjoeb Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Thought that I'd close the loop and show you what I did. I chose the Balzout mount and had Frank install it while he had the boat at the factory doing some other work. It does exactly what I wanted.
    Joe
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    Thanks for posting the pics of that mount. I have the same mount on a HDS 9 on the bow of my 2011. It is so much more solid than any other mount I have used. It makes me want to get one for the console but I wasn't sure how it would look. Glad I got to see yours, it looks great.
    91tiger wrote: »
    Thanks for posting the pics of that mount. I have the same mount on a HDS 9 on the bow of my 2011. It is so much more solid than any other mount I have used. It makes me want to get one for the console but I wasn't sure how it would look. Glad I got to see yours, it looks great.
    You're welcome. . I never liked the location of the screen before. Now it's just right. I have no intention of moving it around. The mount is beautifully made and really solid. Frank still has one. He ordered two.
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    Looks Great,
    Love the mount.
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
    Great looking mount. How long is the arm on that mount? 4"?
  • kerleekerlee Posts: 74 Deckhand
    I like the Seaview Cable Clam. When I looked up the specs on the opening, it listed it as 0.6 inch wide. Some of the lowrance cables have cut ends (ie. power cable) or are small enough to fit ( NMEA 2000) but the transducer or structure scan cables have twist on locks that are about 1" in outer diameter. How did they get those cables through? Did they cut and rejoin with an airmar junction box or re-solder the ends? http://www.seaviewglobal.com/de/products/657

Thank you. You are correct. The mount is 4".
    Joe