Prespawn Bass

Hey guys, I'm getting geared up to start fishing for prespawn bass. For years I have concentrated on saltwater after moving to Florida and now I'm getting back into freshwater. I fish from a kayak so I don't have the luxury of running all over a large lake to try new spots. The lake I'm fishing has a long gradual slope from 1-12 feet of water on the East side and a quick drop from 1-12 on the West side. The lake is bowl shaped with no humps or submerged points. There are shallow water docks on the West side and submerged grass on the East side. Do y'all think I should concentrate on the East or West side of the lake?

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,549 Moderator
    Well , on one hand the long gradual slope will be attractive to spawning bass if it has hard bottom.
    The faster drop will be a better choice as it will concentrate the bass in a narrower band. They like having deep water near by.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • RedWreckerRedWrecker Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    I didn't even think about it concentrating them in a smaller area. I was also thinking the morning sun will warm the West Bank first and the bass may prefer that side of the lake. I'm use to fishing large ponds and it is time for me to learn some of the big lakes in the area. Thanks
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,549 Moderator
    Let us know how you do. Good luck.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 7,056 Admiral
    What's the sun bathed northside like?

Captain Todd Approves

• RedWreckerRedWrecker Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    The North has a small pocket on the northwest and the rest is a gradual slope, but steeper than the East side. The South is the same as the North. The only thing is the only boat ramp on the lake is on the South and that would be a heck of a paddle from kayak to get to the North end. I'll let y'all know how I do.