Skip to main content
Home Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Trout Report and slack tide question. 12/31/16

Jared DJared D Senior MemberFernandina Beach Posts: 399 Deckhand
Went out this morning to fish the last of the incoming. I stayed in one spot the whole trip casting x-raps at a grass line right behind a shell bed. The air was cold initially but warmed up nicely as the sun came up. I caught a dozen dinks before the first keeper hit the deck. Next cast I hooked a nice fish which then ran around some oysters before cutting off my favorite lure. I had to try several other colors before getting hits again.

I switched to the fly rod and managed to get a few before slack tide hit. Then, everything just shut off. The mullet stopped jumping and no shrimp were flicking in the grass.

I should have left, but was having fun with the fly rod so I stayed another hour just messing around . Only one more trout and that was right when the current picked back up. I can get a bite every cast if the current is moving but nada if the tide goes slack.

My question is - anyone have a technique that works on slack tide? I rarely do well on slack and often use it to just rerig, relocate, or try new lures. Is there a good bite happening that I am missing out on?

Pics won't post for some reason, I will try again later.

Replies