Need Help - Sheeps at the Mayport Jetties?

Headed out in the morning for the first time to try targeting sheeps at the outside tip of the south jetty. I've asked some buddies for tips and have gotten some good info. Just wondering what you guys do too? Anyone use float rigs? What tides do you prefer?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• ccordellccordell Posts: 242 Deckhand
    I fished offshore Wednesday and there were 20 plus boats on the south jetties alone. They were piled up thick out on the tip but there was one common thread. They were all bay boats with Ipilot to keep them in place. I do not think that one could anchor at that point (the eastern tip past where the visible rocks are) but if you can get there I imagine it comes down to normal sheepshead methods. Dropping straight over top the submerged rocks with braid and waiting on the small thump.

We fish a little different in South Ga but I think the hardest part is going to be staying vertical straight over the top.
  • TmundyTmundy Posts: 48 Deckhand
    ccordell wrote: »
    I fished offshore Wednesday and there were 20 plus boats on the south jetties alone. They were piled up thick out on the tip but there was one common thread. They were all bay boats with Ipilot to keep them in place. I do not think that one could anchor at that point (the eastern tip past where the visible rocks are) but if you can get there I imagine it comes down to normal sheepshead methods. Dropping straight over top the submerged rocks with braid and waiting on the small thump.

We fish a little different in South Ga but I think the hardest part is going to be staying vertical straight over the top.

Cheers. Our boat doesn't have iPilot, but I can imagine that would be helpful!!
  • BadfishBadfish Posts: 1,095 Officer
    You can anchor on the tip with a jetty hook, just make sure your dropping your bait as close to the top of the submerged rocks as possible. Depending on tide you can get into 7-8 ft water there. If this is your first trip to jetty I wouldn't recommend trying to get too close, but that's where the fish are
  • Snatch-UmSnatch-Um Posts: 1,328 Officer
    Badfish wrote: »
    You can anchor on the tip with a jetty hook, just make sure your dropping your bait as close to the top of the submerged rocks as possible. Depending on tide you can get into 7-8 ft water there. If this is your first trip to jetty I wouldn't recommend trying to get too close, but that's where the fish are

Bingo! If you are not scared b/c of how close you are to the rocks, you're too far away. Be careful!
  • DLBDLB Posts: 156 Deckhand
    Here is what I have been doing on sheep, with pretty good success. With fiddlers use #1 or 1/0 Owner mosquito hooks (j, not circle) and change them often if you get hung in the rocks. Keep a sharp hook on your line. Drop to the bottom and then constantly but slowly move the rod tip up and down about 10 inches so the sinker touches the bottom and then raises up. When you feel resistance, just keep lifting. I don't "set the hook" I just keep lifting. If he's there, you will feel him and start to reel. Those sharp hooks don't require a real hookset. If you are hung on a rock, that will become apparent as well. I rarely feel a bump. Just resistance. This way you don't scare the hell out of the fish every time your sinker bumps on a rock and you Bill Dance your poor fiddler.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 14' Lonestar 1955 - rebuilt 2015