Mono Leader Information

HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
Can anyone give me some recommendations about the brands of mono leader for fly fishing? I was recently in a fly fishing class and we were told that some makes are soft and supple and turn over well and others are very stiff. Maybe there are different brands for different applications?

Any feedback would be appreciated. I realize there will be lots of different opinions but I'd like to learn about the different brands and what they offer.

Replies

• HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    Bump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,097 Captain
    Ryan, call me and I'll walk you through what you need to know....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Thanks Bob. Will do.

I got my answers. Basically it's Ande Premium or Maxima. Wondering about the Rio Saltwater Mono...

With Ande available in bulk -nothing else comes close for mid range mono for leader material (and it's my first choice for butt sections..). For hard mono the only choice is Mason Hard nylon (and tarpon tournaments used to issue it to entrants for tippet material). All I ever use for tarpon fly tippets is the Mason with 40lb fluoro bite tippet for tarps up to fifty pounds, then 80lb for big fish (but remember I'm not working the clear waters of the Keys where guides will go quite light just to get a bite -and worry about how to stay connected after the bite...). I prefer fluoro for bite tippets (but beware of anything other than Seaguar or Ande fluoro - I've seen and handled premium fly manufacturers fluoro and wonder just where they acquired it since it doesn't compare at all to Seaguar...

As far as soft mono - avoid it for leader material (remember that any leader material has to transmit the energy of your fly line all the way down to the fly end of things....). Hope this helps.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Anyone try the Rio Saltwater medium hard tippet?

• FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    Ande Premium...I bought spools in 40, 30, and 20 lb.

I only use mono for topwater flies though...since it floats better than flouro.
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod
    Anyone used the Rio mono?

• jaymjaym Posts: 105 Deckhand
    I use the Rio Alloy hard mono in place of Mason for my tarpon leaders. I had a couple of bad spools of Mason and bought the Rio and liked it. Otherwise Ande everywhere else except for flouro bite tippets or flouro for permit and bonefish.
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 160 Deckhand
    Bob whats your leader formula for 8/9 wt snook and red fishing. I always preferred Cabelas 10 ft steel head leaders but they're discontinued so I may have to roll my own. RIO too expensive for as many as I go thru.
    Okay, here goes... All of my fly lines have a permanently attached butt section (Ande or Sufix Superior mono) with a surgeon's loop at the bitter end - and that butt section is really the key to turning over flies (from slim to little profile all the up to poppers and other bulky flies...).

Here's the formula for butt sections...

7wt - 30lb - 3.5 feet
    8wt - 40lb - 4 feet
    9wt - 40lb - 4.5 feet
    10wt 50lb - 5 feet
    11wt 60lb - 5- 5.5 feet
    12wt 60lb - 6 feet

Now we're going to attach a "Poor Boy" level leader to that butt section with a surgeon's loop (for a loop to loop connection). In the backcountry that's usually a 4 to 4.5 foot section of 20lb fluorocarbon leader material (Seaguar or Ande - be wary of the many fishing lines labelled "fluorocarbon" or "son of fluorocarbon" since they don't work the same...). This simple poor boy system is done without any shock tippet at all - and we get lots of great action with it. Yes, there are times when a bite (or shock tippet) is needed for big snook or tarpon bigger than 15 pounds - but day in and day out that's all we use... We land some surprisingly big fish without that bite tippet (and popping bugs and similar surface offerings simply work better without a bite tippet...).

With that butt section in place you're setup for quick change leaders all day long... When bonefish or permit (or other spooky fish, leader shy...) are the target we simply add a seven foot tapered leader - loop to loop... For bigger fish where bite tippets are needed I keep heavier leaders (Mason hard spliced to 40, 60, or 80lb bite tippets) all on leader wheels ready to use - but as I've already said, day in and day out it's the Poor Boy for us...

Hope this helps.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 160 Deckhand
    As usual, a big help. Thanks Bob. Just saw where Cabelas making 4 packs on sale for $6.99. I like em because no knots to stick grass on in areas where thats an issue