Skip to main content
Home Off Topic

Another Pit Bull question???

AC ManAC Man Posts: 7,302 Admiral
My best friend is watching his sons pit bull while moving. I admit I am not a fan of aggressive dog breeds. Anyhoo, I go to his house. Dog is wagging his tail and seems happy to see me. I can't say the same and ignore him. Couple minutes later he can't take his eyes off me and starts growling. I told my buddy get that effing out of here I told you so. He said it was because I ignored the dog and it thought I was up to something. ****? I don't want to cater to a dog's thought process. None of my dogs acted like that. So is it true they smell your fear and attack?

Replies

• cadmancadman Posts: 43,608 AG
    More likely a dominance issue unless the dog has shown aggressive behavior in the past. Also, just because a dog wags it's tail does not mean it is happy to see you. It is a greeting mechanism for dogs. The higher the tail the more threatening the dog can be. The lower the tail, the more submissive and friendly the dog will be. Speed of the wag is another sign.

My opinion is, the dog saw you as a new member to the pack and your behavior made the dog decide to challenge you to assure his place in the pack.

Former Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 1,798 Captain
    Why would anyone want a dog like this?
    What useful purpose does he serve?

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

• MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    First ask yourself what useful purpose does any dog serve.

And then ask yourself why this dog has to be any different?
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 1,798 Captain
    Pointers and retrievers have served me very well.

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

• SchmidtySchmidty Posts: 6,806 Admiral
    Many is the person who's dog's personality typifies what the owner wishes what his could be.

As for me....mine is now that of one of those fainting goats and if I had to guess......I believe that the "Turner River Terror" would be a crotchless thong stealing (used of course) Chinese Hairless wearing rubber boots. :)
  • phlatsphilphlatsphil Posts: 14,632 AG
    Menzies wrote: »
    First ask yourself what useful purpose does any dog serve.

And then ask yourself why this dog has to be any different?

I've read of many attacks and mauling over the years.... never read about a pointer, retriever, lab, golden, poodle, dachshund, spaniel, and other docile canine pets attacking or mauling people, especially children. The only two dogs I've ever read that attacked or mauled people are pit bulls and rottweilers.

So again, what useful purpose does that dog serve?
  • stc1993stc1993 Posts: 10,597 AG
    I don't trust pit bulls either. I don't know why someone would want a dog like that.
  • RockslamRockslam Posts: 91 Deckhand
    phlatsphil wrote: »
    I've read of many attacks and mauling over the years.... never read about a pointer, retriever, lab, golden, poodle, dachshund, spaniel, and other docile canine pets attacking or mauling people, especially children. The only two dogs I've ever read that attacked or mauled people are pit bulls and rottweilers.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/the-3-most-aggressive-dog-breeds-may-surprise-you.html

Small dogs are some of the MOST aggressive not docile as you imply. Problem being small dog bites are rarely reported or commented on. Also to the news all dogs are a Pit Bull regardless of actual breed.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 7,302 Admiral
    Rockslam wrote: »
    http://www.care2.com/greenliving/the-3-most-aggressive-dog-breeds-may-surprise-you.html

Small dogs are some of the MOST aggressive not docile as you imply. Problem being small dog bites are rarely reported or commented on. Also to the news all dogs are a Pit Bull regardless of actual breed.

LOL very true. They run around bitting my pants leg. I don't give a rats **** about them.
  • fishdishfishdish Posts: 1,223 Officer
    Weiner dogs and cocker spaniels are A hole dogs
    Two things....

1) Dogs MOST definitely smell fear... Well what they smell is adrenaline. And it is a VERY strong odor to dogs.... The problem is.... Most species including us.... Produce adrenaline for TWO reasons... FEAR and Aggression... That presents a problem for the dog... Are you afraid? or are you being aggressive?

An example of the adrenaline odor thing.... There is a crime in a neighborhood.... People have been all over.... The bad guy knows the police are after him.... So he ran..... The K9 unit shows up.... Jumps on the bad guys scent.... Goes through all the other human scent and never waivers.... The dog is following the adrenaline odor.

2) Dogs are MASTERS of body language.... Most of their communication with each other and with us is body language.... Most of us pay little attention to it.... But dogs do... And they know people farther than we know them or even each other... We have busy lives.... Lots of distractions... Dogs... We are the center of their world... They watch us day and night.

Those are the two things.... And people that are afraid of dogs.... Or afraid of a particular dog.... Most often get a negative reaction from dogs... Or a specific dog they are afraid of. Because they send out signals that make the dog feel threatened....

People that are not afraid of dogs... And people that have NO COMMON sense... Like me... That are not afraid of dogs they should be... Usually get a positive response out of dogs... even dogs that they SHOULD be afraid of...

good info, very well said. Thanks.
    Rockslam wrote: »

You're right, small ankle nippers are very annoying and do probably bite more often than others.... maybe they have a Napoleon complex.

And I know the media gets things wrong a lot, but they sometimes show the dogs being hauled off by handlers and more often than not, they're pit bulls.

Last weekend a neighbor from the next street walked by with her visiting daughter, who was walking a pit bull. I was cleaning my boat and they stopped to chit chat. The dog had a yellow warning tag attached to its collar that said "do not pet". So what good is a dog like that? Especially when children are around.
    Bet people think more than twice about breaking and entering a home with a Pit.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski Posts: 16,694 AG
    I used to be in pest control, met lots of people and lots of dogs, the smaller ones were always the worst. Reach down to pet one, bites my thumb. I was in a kitchen doing some work under a stove one time, l look up, there is a freaking pumpkin headed pit bull, i mean this thing was huge, face to face. I didn't know he was in the house, he takes one look at me, SLURP, licks my face, walks off. After changing my pants, i got back to work.

In my experience, if a dog circles around you, and tries to get behind you they intend to bite/attack. I met several who tried, none would ever attack me head on, they all went for the ankles, and all went when my back was turned. I always carried a mag light flasthlight with me and i told the homeowners when i saw a dog "listen if your dog bites me, i'm going to react to it". But I only did this if the dog seemed hostile. So maybe 4-5 times in hundreds of visits with dogs.

But by and large, i met dozens of dogs, and I would stop an owner at the door in the middle of a greeting, take a knee and address the dog as soon as I saw him. "excuse me one second sir *kneels down* Good morning! *pets dog*, I know, i hate cats too, how are you doing this morning? Then stand back up and talk to the homeowner.

I never met an entire breed I felt was bad. That pumpkin headed pit's name was Cash, i guess after Johnny. And he was the sweetest ball of fur on the planet.
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • mplspugmplspug Posts: 16,014 AG
    cadman wrote: »
    More likely a dominance issue unless the dog has shown aggressive behavior in the past. Also, just because a dog wags it's tail does not mean it is happy to see you. It is a greeting mechanism for dogs. The higher the tail the more threatening the dog can be. The lower the tail, the more submissive and friendly the dog will be. Speed of the wag is another sign.

My opinion is, the dog saw you as a new member to the pack and your behavior made the dog decide to challenge you to assure his place in the pack.

I agree. Get down on all fours and let it hump you and you'll be ok.

Either that or act calm and assertive. Jeez, didn't any of you watch Cesar Millan?
    Just dropping grenades in OT
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 29,950 AG
    Roundhouse kick to the offending animal's head.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • King_MeKing_Me Posts: 7,096 Admiral
    They are really wired differently than other breeds. My GF has a Pit, we just got a lab pup and 98% if the time they get along great but once in awhile for some odd reason the Pit will attack the pup for some reason. Just out of the blue will terrorize her. We can't bring the Pit to any dog parks as it thinks every toy and ball is his and will attack any other dog trying to retrieve it.

Protection when you have valuable drugs on hand?

If you are going to get a dog for protection, these breeds are the ones to get. That doesn't mean they are born maulers. In fact I would argue it is far easier to train a Rot or Bull to be a docile and friendly pet than a small dog like a chihuahua or miniature pincer.
    Also, all of the rots I met have been the biggest babies, especially the females. One almost killed me...with affection and suffocating me when it sat on my lap like a toy breed.
    Menzies wrote: »
    Bet people think more than twice about breaking and entering a home with a Pit.

How would they know before hand? I don't think Pits are incessant barkers. They're more the quiet type. Some dogs go crazy when you ring the doorbell or approach a house, which I find extremely annoying. My son has two Weimaraners, the most annoying dogs ever.... and dumb as dirt. They don't fetch, sit, shake, and undisciplined.
    Not being active in home break ins, I would think that people watch a home before deciding which to hit.
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    I am not a fan of Pit Bulls. Don't really like they way they look.

Anyhow, I used to have a full blood German Shepard. He was protective, but friendly. Still, he did bite two of my friends. Both were people he knew well. I was not home and they petted him while he was chained. Not a problem - until they turned to leave. He jumped and grabbed their upper arm from behind and clamped down, drawing blood. Exact same thing on two occasions.
    23895.gif
    Mister-Jr wrote: »
    Roundhouse kick to the offending animal's head.

One of the dumbest questions in the world us ..."Does that dog bite"?

They all bite...that's why God gave them all teeth.

I have asked many times..."Do you have a dog"? and when the answer comes back "Yes"...I would ask them to lock it in a room just to have the owner say...you guessed it...."It doesn't bite"...

It's like someone asking..."Do you have a firearm on you"....and getting a reply like...."Yes I do...but don't worry..... I never shoot anyone with it".
    Dogs in general will deter criminals, it doesn't matter what breed as long as they bark. Most criminals aren't afraid of being attacked, they are afraid of being found out.

Funny how German Sheppards don't get a bad rap. They are just as easily trained to attack.

That's my next dog by the way. Fiercely protective, easy to train, brilliant and overly affectionate.
  • MACDMACD Posts: 5,008 Admiral
    doggy kooks like to picks up doggy turds.
    Schmidty wrote: »
    One of the dumbest questions in the world us ..."Does that dog bite"?

They all bite...that's why God gave them all teeth.

I have asked many times..."Do you have a dog"? and when the answer comes back "Yes"...I would ask them to lock it in a room just to have the owner say...you guessed it...."It doesn't bite"...

It's like someone asking..."Do you have a firearm on you"....and getting a reply like...."Yes I do...but don't worry..... I never shoot anyone with it".

Other than my own, the only two homes I have been in the past year are neighbors on either side. One of them has some kind of toy dog that seems to like me. Other than that I see Fred walking Toby in the morning and being a lab Toby is a sweetheart.

Old age is creeping up.......
    "Jr"....

Before I put our last and probably final dog down...if I knew you were coming over I would lock his golden retriever ...giganasourus werewolf...king cong mastiff ......black bear...pit bull...all mixed up crazy **** behind a steel door and turn on the 500,000 volt force field to slow him down should he smash through the door and get through the mine field.

...and you wouldn't have had to ask me...."Hey Schmidty....does he bite"? :)

"IF" a dog would walk on our property he would kill it...and it you didn't get to it quick...he would eat it... and if someone...other than me tried to intervene....he would kill and eat them as well.

He would listen to me....but the only one he actually loved was "the bride"...he was 147 pounds....had psychotically long fangs and wasn't afraid of anthing. He once walked through a campfire...caught himself on fire...stopped, dropped and rolled to put it out and then went about his business like nothing out of the usual ever happened.

I never trained him, but he would do anything I asked...except not killing things and he could not be trusred....so we didn't.
  • repairrepair Posts: 208 Deckhand
    I had a Chihuahua she was a mean SOB took on any big dog that came around the nose as her target she was very protective of us
    I have to admit I am a FISHAHOLIC.
    viet vet usaf 71-75
  • NSB PhotogNSB Photog Posts: 542 Officer

I worked as a mailman on a walking route for about a year and a half in my younger days. Only dog that ever got me was a dachshund. Took a chunk out of my calf when I wasn't looking.
    Schmidty wrote: »
    "Jr"....

Before I put our last and probably final dog down...if I knew you were coming over I would lock his golden retriever ...giganasourus werewolf...king cong mastiff ......black bear...pit bull...all mixed up crazy **** behind a steel door and turn on the 500,000 volt force field to slow him down should he smash through the door and get through the mine field.

...and you wouldn't have had to ask me...."Hey Schmidty....does he bite"? :)

"IF" a dog would walk on our property he would kill it...and it you didn't get to it quick...he would eat it... and if someone...other than me tried to intervene....he would kill and eat them as well.

He would listen to me....but the only one he actually loved was "the bride"...he was 147 pounds....had psychotically long fangs and wasn't afraid of anthing. He once walked through a campfire...caught himself on fire...stopped, dropped and rolled to put it out and then went about his business like nothing out of the usual ever happened.

I never trained him, but he would do anything I asked...except not killing things and he could not be trusred....so we didn't.

A personal injury lawyer's wet dream....:grin
    NSB Photog wrote: »
    I worked as a mailman on a walking route for about a year and a half in my younger days. Only dog that ever got me was a dachshund. Took a chunk out of my calf when I wasn't looking.

Thay are called sausage dogs for a reason, and its not their looks! :)