Skip to main content
Home Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

25V vs 36V Trolling Motor Question

JoeCoolJoeCool MemberNorth East Arlington JacksonvillePosts: 130 Deckhand
I am repowering and re-rigging my Sea-Pro 190CC. It weighs 1750# dry. I want to upgrade to a GPS trolling motor. I am currently rigged 24volt with two new interstate batteries located in my forward compartment. Going to 36 volt will probably require me buying 3 new smaller gel type batteries (3 larger batteries will not fit). My question is... will 36 volts be a big enough improvement to justify the extra expense (around $600? I have never run my 24 volt system dead, but with adding the GPS anchor, I am concerned. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Replies

• MaverickMaverick Senior Member NE FloridaPosts: 733 Officer
    If the 24v moves you boat to your liking, depending on what battery size you are running, larger batteries will get you more run time, vs going up to a stronger motor.

However if you feel like the 24v system has struggled to move, hold, position the boat etc., then 36v may be the better option.

For example if you are running group 24s, then go up to 27s

In the same idea, a stronger trolling motor wont have to work as hard to do the same job, thus having a longer run time, it all really depends on the performace of the 24v on your boat.
    Shut Up and Fish
  • JoeCoolJoeCool Member North East Arlington JacksonvillePosts: 130 Deckhand
    Thanks for the reply. I am currently running the TM off my old 17' boat and it is only 71#. It is not adequate so I don't have a fair comparison. I will be going with an 80-82# in 24V or 105# in 36V. I would prefer to stay with 24V. I think it will perform ok, my question is will 36V give me a lot of extra run time.
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Senior Member Posts: 5,536 Admiral
    My Rhodan is a 24 volt 80# thrust, I run two group 27's and have no problem doing what I need done.

I have gotten 7 hours straight fishing on anchor lock, in windy conditions....I also fished it in heavy current during the full of bull in the river all day.....before it finally started to give out. But I started that day with less than a full charge.

My boat is 22 feet and 2100# dry weight. So I think you'd be fine on that 19 with the 80 in a 24 volt system.
    Thanks Sea Snake. That is exactly what I wanted to know. I will stay with 24 volt. BTW how expensive is your motor and how long is the shaft? I would like a Rodan if I can afford it. I have a business associate who owns an online business and he can get me an 80# Xi5 Saltwater 60" GPS for around $ 1,250.
  • BoattronicsBoattronics Senior Member Atlantic Beach, FloridaPosts: 5,222 Admiral
    You'll be fine with the 24v version. Get some big group 31 deep cycles.

Fishing the Xi5, it moves so much at anchor it annoys me. It holds good, but man that head never stops moving.

Havnt fished the Rhodan but Steve and our customers we've done have been thrilled with them.

Got to fish the new improved Ipilot last week, and I was blown away. There was a stiff current, and every time we locked it grabbed and held absolutely dead nuts! And the head moved so little that you don't even notice it operating. I think they have nailed this thing and have an advantage over the others now with the outboard heading sensor.
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
  • shallowvshallowv Member Posts: 471 Deckhand
    I have a 24v 72 inch Rhodan for my 22 foot Nauticstar 2200XS. It is an awesome motor. Strong and never let me down. I even broke it twice and they fixed it for free. Kyle at Rhodan is great. I highly recommend the 24V Rhodan. I have a trickier charger on it so it can grab some power from the main motor although it's tough to know what I really get. Good luck
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Senior Member Posts: 5,536 Admiral
    JoeCool wrote: »
    Thanks Sea Snake. That is exactly what I wanted to know. I will stay with 24 volt. BTW how expensive is your motor and how long is the shaft? I would like a Rodan if I can afford it. I have a business associate who owns an online business and he can get me an 80# Xi5 Saltwater 60" GPS for around $ 1,250.

I have the 72 inch shaft, version because of my high bow....and to be honest they are not cheap....by the time you get it shipped from Sarasota, and have it mounted and the batteries....you'll have 3K in it.

...Just sayin'........
    The Rodan looks like a great motor, however Just spent around 13,000 on my re-power, so I will probably go with the Xi5. I have had several Motorguide TMs and a two Minn-Kotas. Never a,problem with the Motorguides, but had to have TMS replace the circuit boards on both minn Kotas. I know all TMs have strengths and weaknesses, but I have gotten better service from Motorguides. Kind of like the Ford vs Chevy debate - could go on forever. BTW do the new GPS upgrades from Minn Kota apply to the Ulterras too? I might consider an Ulterra if my buddy can get me a low enough price. I am in my mid 60's and although I don't have a problem with the manual deploy, if the motor last 5 years or so, I could be appreciating the auto deploy by then.
  • BoattronicsBoattronics Senior Member Atlantic Beach, FloridaPosts: 5,222 Admiral
    Yes. They have the upgraded gps and external heading sensor.
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270