Home Panhandle General Fishing & The Outdoors

Triggered!

Headed out of St Andrews yesterday with bait and chum. Started in 45' and worked SSE to 110 hitting numbers. Most showed good bottom and fish. But mostly the wrong kind. TRIGGERS. Yep we could only attract the highly endangered, rare, and outrageously over-fished Gray Trigger fish. We did catch 4 Beeliners under 12 inches, but stopped counting triggers at 50. Between the fog and not being able to catch other closed or open season varieties it was a tough day.

Still better than being at work though.

The Snook & Gamefish Foundation is now the Angler Action Program: http://angleractionfoundation.com/  Dedicated to Conservation and Education.  Please check us out.

Angler Action Program: IAngler app trip log on your phone

Replies

• LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,206 Officer
    Thanks for the report. Your results are what most other folks have been reporting. I did see a few posts on FB of a couple of nice red grouper caught the last few days.

Like you said......better than being at work!!!

Livin' the Dream !
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
    This past weekend looked great and I couldn't make it! :banghead
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 14,985 AG
    I've never chummed in more than 30' of water, do you lower it down more? Or just let it hang right off the transom? That's all I've ever done.
    Yesterday's memories are not today's reality
  • limitlesslimitless Posts: 704 Officer
    I've never chummed in more than 30' of water, do you lower it down more? Or just let it hang right off the transom? That's all I've ever done.

The current wasn't real strong, so the bag was just under the surface and after 15 or 20 minutes the fish were on the surface. If the current is running, I will weight the bag and lower it to about 20' feet above the bottom and then raise it a few feet every 10 or 15 minutes. I've brought Snapper right up to the boat in 100' in the Keys

The Snook & Gamefish Foundation is now the Angler Action Program: http://angleractionfoundation.com/  Dedicated to Conservation and Education.  Please check us out.

Angler Action Program: IAngler app trip log on your phone

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 14,985 AG
    limitless wrote: »
    The current wasn't real strong, so the bag was just under the surface and after 15 or 20 minutes the fish were on the surface. If the current is running, I will weight the bag and lower it to about 20' feet above the bottom and then raise it a few feet every 10 or 15 minutes. I've brought Snapper right up to the boat in 100' in the Keys

Thanks! That's what I was thinking but I've never tried it.
    Yesterday's memories are not today's reality