Fishing with my 6 yr old grandson and son in law. C/R 12-27

xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,610 Captain
We started the day checking out the manatees. Eli was impressed with their size and thought they were cool but like his grandpa and dad wanted to head out the river and catch some fish. He caught several sand trout on his own but needed a little help with his first SP Mac. James caught a real nice Mac also and we all caught a bunch of sand trout. Soon headed for the frying pan. They wouldn't all fit on the infamous board but a good two hours of fishing.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• k-dogk-dog Posts: 152 Deckhand
    Nice haul i would have thought the sp mac would have moved south for the winter. Is there any dif between sand trout and spotted in the way they taste.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,936 Moderator
    Excellent day Ted. Weather was perfect for taking the grandson out.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,610 Captain
    k-dog wrote: »
    Nice haul i would have thought the sp mac would have moved south for the winter. Is there any dif between sand trout and spotted in the way they taste.
    I can't tell any difference but some folks say that sand trout are slightly sweeter. You are right about the Macs but warmer water is keeping them in our area. We have always caught a stray one in the winter but we got three yesterday in one spot
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    capt louie wrote: »
    Excellent day Ted. Weather was perfect for taking the grandson out.

Yes it definitely was. He had a good time but he's not quite ready for your monster grouper. Gosh I miss that although I never got them like you do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,659 Admiral
    Yum Macks on the grill.:thumbsup
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,936 Moderator
    Yes it definitely was. He had a good time but he's not quite ready for your monster grouper. Gosh I miss that although I never got them like you do.

We'll give it a try some day. :wink
    "You'll get your weather"
    capt louie wrote: »
    We'll give it a try some day. :wink

I would enjoy fishing with you I'm sure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,705 Captain
    I would enjoy fishing with you I'm sure.

His boat leaks...you'll have to wear Homosassa Reeboks :) Louie is still the man though.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
    Billy wrote: »
    His boat leaks...you'll have to wear Homosassa Reeboks :) Louie is still the man though.

Bill
    Water gets in every which way into my Carolina skiff. If I forget to shut off my life well a shrimp will often plug the drain and it winds up overflowing into the boat. So I would feel at home. Season (for keeping) is about over. Taking one of my granddaughters and my oldest grandson tomorrow. Both of them love fishing too. I am blessed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Dunnellon FlPosts: 930 Officer
    Great catching!
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,787 Captain
    No whiting?

Used to target them in cedar key. Never tried down here.
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,958 Captain
    Nice job Grandpa!! They look like they are having a "time of their life" !!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mjnmjn Posts: 1,565 Captain
    k-dog wrote: »

Oh yes. sand trout are definitely sweeter. I remember thinking they were sweeter, then when we had a mess of spotted and sand trout together and the difference was obvious.
    gammisun.jpgxxSearchEngineFail.jpg
  • barhopper51barhopper51 Posts: 561 Officer
    Great job, Ted. Nothing greater than seeing thejoy on a young ones face catching fish.
    nick wrote: »
    No whiting?

Used to target them in cedar key. Never tried down here.

We only got a couple of whiting. I ran out of nails to hang them on and they must have been in the bottom of the bag. They seem more tide oriented this time of year and not quite as numerous.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Great job, Ted. Nothing greater than seeing thejoy on a young ones face catching fish.

Yes it is definitely fun. We go with the thought in mind that he won't want to stay out as long as we would and to force him might lead to him resenting the trip. We also try and blend observing manatees, dolphins etc. Next time we may put a lot of bug spray on him and let him explore shell island. To a six year old those are adventures. It's cool seeing the world through his eyes. I constantly remind myself not to take these things for granted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]