Roll Call Offshore This Week?

Now that we've had our last few days of Forum drama and spirited debate, let's talk about something important. Who's fishing offshore this week. Justification thinking about heading deep on Wednesday looking for wahoo. Anybody else planning to go? :fishing

Replies

• Let's Go AmigoLet's Go Amigo Posts: 2,358 Captain
    I may go Dale...Looks like it will be nice
  • flblueflblue Posts: 216 Deckhand
    Very tempted.
  • dillon5458dillon5458 Posts: 63 Greenhorn
    Crooked Toe will be out there Wednesday and possibly Thursday looking for wahoo also. Ch 78
  • 60/4060/40 Posts: 125 Deckhand
    Headed out of st Augustine on Wednesday. Suppose to be foggy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    60/40 wrote: »
    Headed out of st Augustine on Wednesday. Suppose to be foggy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah, watching that darn fog
  • DebartDebart Posts: 56 Greenhorn
    Heading out early tomorrow. I hope the fog doesn't delay us.
  • ShelShel Posts: 1,061 Officer
    yeah, watching that darn fog
    I as well. Suppose to be the same tomorrow as today, fog out to 20 miles and not burning off until 10 or so, maybe later offshore. Already a short day with night setting in so early. Think I might wait and take a shot this weekend....maybe.
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,355 Admiral
    Funny story....

We went snapper fishing one day, back when they were in season. It was December also,,, and foggy as all get out.

Coming out of the river was the most spooky, because we had no radar...times like that is when you are happy when you checked your on board GPS chart, and made sure the markers were exactly where they were supposed to be., on a calm clear day.

Anyway once out we stayed in a socked in fog bank, that reached out all the way to TW....AND BEYOND.

Well, needless to say, we took our time getting there and set up on the north end of the ANNA...And started catching fish...big beeliners and some nice keeper snapper.

Then I heard Capt George on the radio, and I always talk to Capt George....so I hollered at him, and we chatted a little bit. I mentioned to him that we had a couple boats around us, but I couldn't see em, I could only hear them talking...Then he asked where abouts we were...and I said The Anna.

He answered back....that he was at the Anna too, on the south end of it....and according to his radar, there were a half dozen boats there....kinda explained the voices...:grin

About an hour later, the fog slowly lifted, and low and behold each boat was unfolded, and appeared to us for the first time all morning....I counted 6 other small boats besides ours, and the fabulous Mayport Princess, on the end.

It was pretty funny and spooky and wild all at the same time. We limited on our targetted species, beeliners snappers and a quick stop at nine mile gave us our bass.....cruised in as the fog lifted at speed.!!

Anyway...yall be careful out there.

And if any of yall get a wahoo, save me a chunk...they make great sea bass bait :willynilly :grin
  • bro schrobro schro Posts: 773 Officer
    Big PaPa headed out in the morning.
  • qzone83qzone83 Posts: 33 Deckhand
    Headed out tomorrow (Wednesday) out of St. Augustine, 0530. Be out searching for hoo as well
  • ChillyChilly Posts: 490 Deckhand
    we'll be wahoo hunting by daylight out of St. Aug tomorrow. It will be a radar running kinda morning!
  • VicktorVicktor Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Looking at Saturday - out of SSI, GA.
  • StayinLazyStayinLazy Posts: 466 Deckhand
    That Saturday forecast is looking pretty alright
  • Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 1,594 Captain
    It looks real pretty this morning! Light offshore wind, no fog, and a nice organized swell.:driver:
    It looks real pretty this morning! Light offshore wind, no fog, and a nice organized swell.:driver:

I decided not to go last night because of fog forecast and it wasn't anything like yesterday....:banghead
    I decided not to go last night because of fog forecast and it wasn't anything like yesterday....:banghead

:banghead X2
  • MaverickMaverick Posts: 733 Officer
    x3

once we got up we saw how nice it was, put my buddies boat in for a nearshore trip, I bet you cant guess what the result was.....

E44C6233-D750-42B1-98B5-F1A98C7A0A79_zpshnglptzm.jpg

000804FA-97D3-446C-804D-CDDC6069DE92_zps4epdxnfy.jpg

We also had a huge thresher shark make a pass by the boat. Couldnt believe my eyes.
    Shut Up and Fish
  • MusicMusic Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    After observing and learning for the past couple of years I joined as a member. This is my first post. I have watched in awe the past couple of winters of the wahoo run. I was able to get my wife and kids pumped to go the first break in the weather that worked to our schedules. Five kids ages 1-17 it is a miracle when everything aligns. This past week I watch noaa forecast and it looked like tuesday was a go. My wife and the three oldest plus a neighbor and his son took off from Palm Valley at 5:00 AM hoping to have lines in at the ledge by 7:30. Well let just say the fog and the wave forecast were off that day. After taking one and a half hours to get to Saint Augustine inlet (normally a 30 min run with clear night sky) we headed out in what was supposed to be a moderate 2-4 ft sea. It ended up being more like 3-6 with the occasional 8 footer! We considered heading back, but all decided we were up for the long bumpy ride. After 3 of the crew lost the contents of their breakfast and three hours later we put lines in around 10:00 AM. We started trolling at about 145 ft and water temp 68 with one bait on a high speed planner and five on the surface including a cedar plug way back.Having caught only two wahoo previous to this trip as a bonus while fishing for Mahi-mahi, we have never targeted them. 10 minutes after dropping all our lines one of our surface baits starts screaming. We real it in hoping to see what we came for and there she was. Not the biggest, but we had high fives all around for the effort to get out. We continued trolling east and the water temp rose to 76. At about 300 ft the same surface bait started screaming. Hoping for wahoo number two, we were still excited when we saw a mahi jump in the distance. We had a half dozen more strikes that didn't get the hook set after that but that was all. In hindsight we probably should have stayed in the cooler water. I'm sure more experienced wahoo anglers would have slayed them if we were able to catch one. Anyway, that's our report. Any advice on what I did right or wrong welcome. Enjoy the posts from all those willing to share. Tried to load photo and video but forum message says I don't have permission to do this. I'm sure it's user error. I'll post them when I can. Take care.
  • mikeg32225mikeg32225 Posts: 558 Officer
    Congratulations on a great trip.
    Usually when you are targeting wahoo you don't go much past the ledge.
    Look forward to your next report.
    Mike
    Nice job Capt! Any day on the water is better than a day in the office, especially when you can share it with the family. Thanks for sharing.
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,355 Admiral
    Maverick wrote: »
    x3

once we got up we saw how nice it was, put my buddies boat in for a nearshore trip, I bet you cant guess what the result was.....

E44C6233-D750-42B1-98B5-F1A98C7A0A79_zpshnglptzm.jpg

000804FA-97D3-446C-804D-CDDC6069DE92_zps4epdxnfy.jpg

We also had a huge thresher shark make a pass by the boat. Couldnt believe my eyes.

Oh man !! beautiful lake Atlantic.....now I wish I would've went after some sea bass !!

steve
  • MusicMusic Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    mikeg32225 wrote: »
    Congratulations on a great trip.
    Usually when you are targeting wahoo you don't go much past the ledge.
    Look forward to your next report.
    Mike

Thanks for the tip Mike. On the way back I was a little bummed that I didn't have the forsight to stay where we hooked the wahoo. We may have loaded the fishbox. Oh well. With the weather and the payoff it was an adventure we will all remember.
  • MaverickMaverick Posts: 733 Officer
    The bass were chewing that's for sure
    Shut Up and Fish