Looking to fish LMB or sharks with someone in January

Headed down from New Jersey to visit family in Fort Myers the second week in January, and was hoping to get some tips from a local as to where to look and what to use this time of year for largemouth in freshwater or sharks in salt. I have access to a private pond that holds good bass, and also fish Lakes Regional. I'm stuck on shore but would deffinetly throw up gas money if you have a boat and would be willing. I also fish sharks a lot in Jersey, but have only done a little shark fishing in Florida because I don't have too much gear down there, also not sure how to work them different times of year. If anyone's interested in showing me around, if you ever wanted to fish or hunt in New Jersey I'll show you around. We have excellent trout, landlocked Salmon, smallmouth, striped bass, whitetail hunting, black bear etc

Replies

• MuskyChaserMuskyChaser Posts: 134 Deckhand
    Lots of Sandbars, Spinners, and Blacktips around in January. A fresh bait kayaked out 200 yards will almost certainly catch one.
    Please subscribe to my YouTube channel for HD big game fishing! https://youtu.be/gArGhITKlzE
  • AmericanApexAmericanApex Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Lots of Sandbars, Spinners, and Blacktips around in January. A fresh bait kayaked out 200 yards will almost certainly catch one.
    Thanks for the heads up. Like I said I've got limited gear down south so I'm without my yak but I'll try floating a balloon with the outgoing tide. What should I have on for bait?
  • whipachawwhipachaw Posts: 505 Officer
    I prefer fresh over frozen, but mullet, ladyfish, bonito, jack, and mackerel all make fine baits.
  • MuskyChaserMuskyChaser Posts: 134 Deckhand
    Yup always fresh
    Please subscribe to my YouTube channel for HD big game fishing! https://youtu.be/gArGhITKlzE
  • TrueNative22TrueNative22 Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Fresh water shiners for the bass. Estero River Outfitters has em.
  • AmericanApexAmericanApex Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the advice guys. Is there anywhere in the area that sells fresh baits? If I hang around the marinas will charters give me scraps for cut bait? Or should I just catch bait? Also for bass, what artificial work better this time of year? Say cranks, spinners, top waters, soft plastics, rattles or anything else?
  • movingtoFLmovingtoFL Posts: 83 Deckhand
    The Snook Hut in Cape Coral has frozen Bonita. If you want absolutely fresh baits there are a bunch of jacks around that shouldn't be that difficult to get your hands on.