December to Remember

The first 20 days of December for me have been great mild weather with great inshore fishing action. The big trout have really made a push on to the flats with fish average being over 20 inches.
The Redfish seem to be a bit more elusive but I've still managed to get some ones and twos here and there. haven't been able to locate the "big school" everyone wants to see. the fish I have been able to land have been med slot or over slot fish.they seem to be moving around on the flat a lot not sitting in a hole like they should be this time of year. probably due to the water temp still being up some. I usually fish Tampa bay but I have been venturing out a bit probably why I haven't found the good numbers. I just get frustrated with people cutting shore lines off or running right over the fish you are trying to catch which happens to me a lot.
The Small Snook seem to be everywhere you look which is great to see the numbers of healthy juvenile fish in every nook and cranny. plus there loads of fun to catch even though they are not picture worthy. hopefully everyone has a great holiday and tight lines.

IMG_0110_zpsfwvehpit.jpg
IMG_0102_zpsmwalkk3u.jpg
IMG_0114_zpsxyzfyxrq.jpg
IMG_0112_zpsbg45ldqm.jpg
IMG_0111_zpsvwte1c4y.jpg
IMG_0116_zps9cscov2l.jpg
IMG_0097_zpszepvo9dp.jpg
IMG_0108_zpsypkpikhp.jpg
IMG_0109_zps57mfdrsw.jpg
IMG_0099_zps3zepzej8.jpg

Replies

• CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,004 Captain
    Congrats on the great looking first mate...uhm...I mean fish....

Nice job getting on the fish.
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,020 Moderator
    Beat me to it, Bly.
    Great report and pics.
  • anglingarchitectanglingarchitect Posts: 1,489 Officer
    Reel-Lucky wrote: »
    Beat me to it, Bly.
    Great report and pics.

for sure:Agree
    rent my beach house
  • Matt822Matt822 Posts: 149 Officer
    Thanks guys
  • Red-ManRed-Man Posts: 331 Deckhand
    Thanks for the report Matt. I'm going to try and make it out this weekend. Is there any bait still on the flats or has it all pushed out to the skyway?
    Red-man I did not go looking for bait as I caught all my fish on artificial's but I covered some ground with out seeing any bait so that may be an indication its gone deeper. that's about the best I can do for you
  • MPFitMPFit Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    Matt822 wrote: »
    Red-man I did not go looking for bait as I caught all my fish on artificial's but I covered some ground with out seeing any bait so that may be an indication its gone deeper. that's about the best I can do for you
    Great catches. My first winter fishing the area, what kind of artificials are successful in this area? I've caught small jack and trout on some darker colored soft plastic gulp. And a nice red (over slot) on a rapala shadow rap in dark colors.
  • Red-ManRed-Man Posts: 331 Deckhand
    Nice work for all on arti's...sounds like I'll skip the hunt for bait and just stock up on gulp. Thanks for the insight.
    MPFit wrote: »
    Great catches. My first winter fishing the area, what kind of artificials are successful in this area? I've caught small jack and trout on some darker colored soft plastic gulp. And a nice red (over slot) on a rapala shadow rap in dark colors.

I mainly use jerk baits or shrimp style soft plastics. It seems to be to me that the clean clear water you catch more on light colors or transparent colors and when fishing darker water they like darker colors.
  • psycosnookerpsycosnooker Posts: 120 Deckhand
    Great report and insight
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 2,045 Captain
    Good job Matt and Sydney