Keeping the line tight!

Between work, my sons lacrosse, and the wind blowing on only the weekends it seems, we haven't been able to get out much offshore which doesn't mean we haven't been keeping the lines tight. My son and I have been hitting the sunrise canals around the house for bass and snakeheads and also a couple dock light snook in ft lauderdale at the end of the season. Here are a few pics. dae4b15eaf7ea8a3e37eddd42812e677.jpg16fdcc986f561962431a2cfacafee0d2.jpg2fc39eeb9c6fa161ae4904e1bb7b00ba.jpg9a297dda79105ffa65b9a15f1cd2c05d.jpg7206597ce4f39d6c0a8bf99cff24ca2e.jpg52e99ebdbf0a0eff067df36118a9e98c.jpg6405970b510a7dfb6db4cfdf8766e27a.jpg1359c54319fadcbeeb1551faafbed6ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Replies

• Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,464 Captain
    Snakeheads make a good swordfish bait rig. Curious what you do with them?

How do you catch them???

Pura Vida!
  • T - L U VT - L U V Posts: 187 Officer
    Snakeheads make a good swordfish bait rig. Curious what you do with them?

How do you catch them???

Yes a buddy of mine catches them and says they are very good baits for sword. All the ones I catch make it to the cleaning board and into my freezer. When I get enough for a fish fry, I will have friends over and we will go to town on those things! Unbelievably great tasting fish! I use 4" rubber frogs (Bruiser Baits Kickin Frog) with a 3/0 wide gap worm hook. The key is to make long casts parallel to the bank because they sit on the bank waiting for frogs, ducks, or any other thing to fall in the water. If you're casting across the canal make sure your bait lands on the bank and slowly drag it in the water and they will hammer it. They are easily spooked

• GotseaGotsea Posts: 142 Deckhand
    I know you should kill then but I did not know you could eat them :hairraiser
    Gotsea wrote: »
    I know you should kill then but I did not know you could eat them :hairraiser

Absolutely! Some of the whitest meat you will find on any fish, fresh or salt water including the almighty wahoo!!

• stebfishstebfish Posts: 162 Deckhand
    Great job man. Keep that young man fishing! Great memories!
  • bigyellowtunabigyellowtuna Posts: 248 Deckhand
    doesn't occur to you that freshwater fish live in canals where all of the runoff ends up which contains oil and gas from roads, pesticides and insecticides from residential lawns, lead, etc and it is all contained in a tiny body of water? You really think it is a good idea to eat freshwater fish from south fl canals?
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,593 Captain
    Way to go Sean,some nice snook!!!
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,464 Captain
    T - L U V wrote: »
    Yes a buddy of mine catches them and says they are very good baits for sword. All the ones I catch make it to the cleaning board and into my freezer. When I get enough for a fish fry, I will have friends over and we will go to town on those things! Unbelievably great tasting fish! I use 4" rubber frogs (Bruiser Baits Kickin Frog) with a 3/0 wide gap worm hook. The key is to make long casts parallel to the bank because they sit on the bank waiting for frogs, ducks, or any other thing to fall in the water. If you're casting across the canal make sure your bait lands on the bank and slowly drag it in the water and they will hammer it. They are easily spooked

Thanks Sean,
    I've heard they are plentiful in you're area there. I don't fish fresh water, but will now if I can catch those for making a good bait rig. They are tough as hell and don't get beaten up easily by a swordfish.
    If you know of any places that I could catch them (with easy access) I'd appreciate it. I live in West Palm. Haven't heard of anyone catching them up here... :shrug

Pura Vida!
    Thanks Sean,
    I've heard they are plentiful in you're area there. I don't fish fresh water, but will now if I can catch those for making a good bait rig. They are tough as hell and don't get beaten up easily by a swordfish.
    If you know of any places that I could catch them (with easy access) I'd appreciate it. I live in West Palm. Haven't heard of anyone catching them up here... :shrug

Email me your number and I will give you a shout.

[email protected]

• gsweavergsweaver Posts: 847 Officer
    nice fish Sean - and some really nice snook!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2012 DUSKY 227XF SUZUKI 175