Trash can slam...

Woke up at 4:00am with visions of a gift wrapped tarpon from Santa this morning and headed out to find a few. First spot was a tarpon black hole... nothing there but I did manage 4 snook... 3 may as well have been the same fish caught three times... right on the nose at 27" and fat. Caught a couple little jacks here (phase 1 of the trash can slam). Sun started to come up so I hauled over to the next spot and was greeted by quite a few tarpon... a few 25 lbers and quite a few adults mixed in also. Had a few good casts at rollers but couldn't get a hit. Not even my cut ladyfish was getting noticed by the big girls... but it was getting noticed by the sail cats... and sharks... and gars... it's a trash can slam fiesta! Finished off the day with a white trash tarpon (ladyfish) and THAT completes the slam. Next time I'll try for a lizardfish and a puffer to really complete the outing.

Ahh well... still makes me happy to see some good sized rollers... I'll get one next time.

-Mag
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters

Replies

• ComandanteComandante Posts: 270 Deckhand
    Thats some real perseverance. I really enjoy following your Tarpon exploits. Please Keep the reports coming.it
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,765 Captain
    Thanks man!
    I'm going back out tomorrow AM for some redemption.
    The fish are there... if I can't make them eat I'm going to jump on one of em. Yeee haw!
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,765 Captain
    Another trash slam... dangit. There were a ton of tarpon out there this AM but they vanish within about 30 minutes of first light. Such a tease. I think they're following the glass minnows around... there's billions of them out there it seems and they're just following the tide. I did have one solid hit after a cast at a roller but no hook up.
  • Real VReal V Posts: 465 Officer
    There are tons of glass minnows on the west wall. Problem is they are all floating from trout Creek all the way to Cape haze point. Did not smell like red tide, but the water and area was dead. The best water I found was in Tippecanoe.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,920 Captain
    I got a trash can slam as well yesterday, while my buddy proceeded to tear it up on Snook, Trout and Sheepshead right next to me.
  • CapnAhabCapnAhab Posts: 248 Deckhand
    Comandante wrote: »
    Thats some real perseverance. I really enjoy following your Tarpon exploits. Please Keep the reports coming.it

I second that. Love reading your reports. Cant wait to get my boat. Ill be just like you posting tarpon quest reports all the time lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days
    Glorious in all of Your ways
    The majesty the wonder and grace
    In the light of Your Name

Let hope rise and darkness tremble
    In Your holy light
    That every eye will see Jesus our God
    Great and mighty to be praised