Reliability of NOAA GPS Numbers on Off Shore Charts ?

Glenn BangsGlenn Bangs Posts: 2 Greenhorn
Greetings everyone! My name is Glenn, but I go mostly by GB .....new to the forum, but have been a North Florida/Jacksonville resident for 24 years, avid reader of Florida Sportsman, certified and diving for 47 years....I think I almost got it figured out, :grin, and I've been a Dive Master since 1983.

I've tried my hand several times going offshore here in Jacksonville armed with a variety of info sources, most with dubious results. While I know better than to ask for favorite dive site numbers in the Jacksonville/
St Augustine/Daytona area on an open forum, I am asking if the NOAA Off Shore Dive and Fishing maps available commercially are valid and/or worthwhile investing the $ and the time to go looking for the sites they have posted on these maps....

Thanks in advance, and Merry Christmas to all!

Replies

• FletchFletch Merritt Island, FLPosts: 2,306 Moderator
    Without knowing which maps you are talking about, it's hard to answer. I know on some older ones (pretty sure they were NOAA charts), there were a few "phantom" shipwrecks listed in my area (Canaveral). Some of these even made it into map data on chart plotters.

I would probably recommend a Top Spot map for your are over a NOAA map.
    "Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent, I'll probably waste..."
    -- Tug McGraw on getting a raise

Get Down Fishing Charters - Port Canaveral, Florida
  • Glenn BangsGlenn Bangs Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Fletch,
    Thanks for your response.

The maps I have are the NOAA Fish and Dive Site maps from West Marine.
    I know there are a couple of ledges offshore from Jax, trying to find them with the charts has been challenging...
  • FletchFletch Merritt Island, FLPosts: 2,306 Moderator
    I don't know about offshore Jax but out of Canaveral, it would be pretty easy to dial in on many of the bigger ledges just by getting close with the map and then looking for other boats. I would not advocate pulling right up next to someone as I think that's a bit rude but you should be able to visualize about where a primary reef line is located simply by observing other boats. Commercial kingfish boats will pile right up on ledges at times making it pretty easy to "see" a reef line. Wait until they move on and then find with your bottom machine and adjust your numbers. Another thing I've noticed with charts is that often one line (lat/lon or Loran C) will be accurate while another is off a bit. You can get on one line or the other and work it inshore/offshore or North/South and find stuff this way. Typically, the East/West number is off more than the North/South number. At least in my experience...
    "Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent, I'll probably waste..."
    -- Tug McGraw on getting a raise

Get Down Fishing Charters - Port Canaveral, Florida