Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Quick Alafia Report

Hit the river yesterday around 9:30am. Water was going out. Temp was 69, but hit 72 later in the day. Ended up catching 12 snook and 1 decent trout. Most snook were in the 20-22" range with 2 going 25". One of the two I was able to catch after she wrapped me around a piling. However, it isn't about what I caught, but what I lost. Lost one between 28 and 30" that came up just after I set the hook and spit my lure. Skipped under one dock and the fish, big snook I believe, took off the other way under the walkway. I was screwed. Held on and fought the fish for 5 minutes, but she finally sliced my leader. This is the 2nd big fish I have lost on the same dock in consecutive trips. Another big fish wrapped me around a post. Flipped the bail and I headed for the dock, but stupidly re-engaged to reel in line. She popped my line. Found some deep water docks during low tide. Skipped into the boat slip on one dock. Reeling in and an extremely large fish, which must have come from under the dock, hit the lure from the side. She immediately went shallow between 2 posts with such speed and power that she almost took the rod out of my hand. My drag was almost locked down and was screaming, but there was nothing I could do. A few more seconds and she broke me off. That fish had to be at least in the upper 30s or better based on the power I felt. The Alafia seems to have my #. I can hook them, but catching them is a different story. Realize now that I have been taking a knife to a gun fight when fishing docks. Need to beef up my gear or I will experience more of the same. All in all, a pretty good day on the river, but it could have been tremendous.
Improve Our Fishery - Practice Catch and Release

Replies

• SouthshoreSlayerSouthshoreSlayer Posts: 408 Deckhand
    I love this time of year. Where the hell you been, Dave.

SSS cut is producing some nice upper slot reds, go hit it up.
  • Bassin AssassinBassin Assassin Posts: 1,299 Officer
    Been doing some fishing and some catching, but some struggling too. Hadn't had much to report. That's your cut. May have to give her a try one of these days. Better there on the incoming or outgoing T? Looking forward to checking out my upriver haunts.
  • SouthshoreSlayerSouthshoreSlayer Posts: 408 Deckhand
    Been doing some fishing and some catching, but some struggling too. Hadn't had much to report. That's your cut. May have to give her a try one of these days. Better there on the incoming or outgoing T? Looking forward to checking out my upriver haunts.

I like the 1st half of the outgoing or last half of the incoming
  • HondoHondo Posts: 50 Greenhorn
    Great report Dave. I was thinking it was probably time to get back into the rivers for the winter. Will probably give it a shot next week. Tight Lines!
    You are working the inside bend right T...on the dirt? I think that is a live-bait spot. Can't keep artis in the strike zone long enough. The other side has the depth and the shade in the PM. Always pulls me over there, but I rarely do anything on that side. Don't really understand why not. I was there yesterday on the first part of outgoing and saw nothing. Struggled overall. Six small trout LCRB and 1 rat in LCRB. Water was low and clear in there. Full moon didn't help either I think. Caught a few more small snook mid-river. Dock fishing was a bust. Pretty tough day.

Really need more cold weather for rivers to really heat up Bill, though the Alafia was really pretty good the other day and surprised me. Was just looking for a change of pace and love boat-docking. Seems like fish are in transition and haven't settled in to their winter spots just yet.
  • HondoHondo Posts: 50 Greenhorn
    Almost hoping for a few cold snaps to come in and push them up in the river for good. The redfishing is usually pretty good in there when it gets cold but I guess they are still scattered on the flats. Still not sure if I should stick to CRB or head to the river next week. probably just stick with the flats until that next good cold front comes through.
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,208 Moderator
    Another great report, Dave. Keep'em comin!
    Definitely need some cooler water in the rivers. Wonder if the water turnover affects the saltwater fishing as it does the freshwater fishing. Mistakenly hit the Alafia again Tuesday. That full moon effect always makes it tough on me. Caught six small snook and lost 4. Did catch 2 reds, one an ultra rat and a 20"er, which was kind of cool. Water was really dirty, till the river pushed it out in the PM. Dirty water didn't help I suppose. Buddy told me some monster snook over 40" were being caught from the A and posted on Facebook's Tampa Fishing Club.