Home Egret Boats

Trolling Motor setup for new to me 189

2»

Replies

  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    I really do not care if you like them or not. I meant you need to rethink your idea of people like me taking a step back. That is not what I did and I want to make sure that was clear. Your views on them are not a concern of mine.


    Apparently they are enough for you to continue the banter. Thanks for making yourself perfectly clear.
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    I've been using Lithium batteries in my boat for almost two years now. They have been the best investment so far. There is no need to fear them as they are stable with built in isolation and a fire retardant per cell if something would to happen along with the built in battery management system another safeguard.
    For the people that say they are too rich for there blood and think the old school batteries are still superior. I guess they don't like change or being on the cutting edge with technology to reak the benefits they offer. They will wait till they can buy them at the dollar store to justify them...
    For anyone that wants to know what the benefits are it's simple. It's the best power to weight saving you can buy for the money period. No propeller or engine mod can give you the gains in draft,fuel economy & speed that Lithium batteries can.
    Lithium have a longer life span and longer warranty and put out 100% power the whole time and hold a higher voltage than Lead Acid & AGM technology along with allowing your electronics & motor operate to there fullest potential.

    Reap, not reak, although that may have been Freudian. Nobody seemed afraid here, only measured in their adoption of a newer application of an emerging technology over a known, proven and (much) cheaper technology. But there is more: "Built in isolation and fire retardant"? Now that is a real confidence builder. Does Frog Togs make an asbestos fire suit? Next, the people that "think they are too rich for there (sic) blood and think old school batteries are superior but don't like change or being cutting edge"? You confused your issues there. For some, it may be cost alone (I saw a group 31 priced at over $1200), for some it may be the belief old school is better, for some both. Finally, BEST power to weight saving you can buy for the money? I'd like to see some objective proof on that. Maybe just focus on reducing your load/distribution, fuel carry, or even learning to trim out a boat properly would be cost effective as well. Perhaps more so. Come to think of it, what is "power to weight saving"?

    PS- Lithium may have a long life and warranty, but how many sets of AGM batteries can I purchase and still be far less than lithiums...at least at this point?

    Please...back away from the tequila.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    Apparently they are enough for you to continue the banter. Thanks for making yourself perfectly clear.

    Not at all. I wanted to make sure you have not clouted my words from being butt hurt. I look forward to Flatsboys response to you. He posted facts that he will back up. Yea why ruin the Christmas grinches fun with facts. :Bike
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • Vinny lVinny l Posts: 352 Deckhand
    Can you guys please elaborate on the pros and cons of LI batteries?:grin
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    Vinny l wrote: »
    Can you guys please elaborate on the pros and cons of LI batteries?:grin

    What is the first thing you did this morning? Checked your phone
    or alarm for the time? You put on your watch and turned on the morning news with the remote control? After getting dressed, you started up your car and drove to work? What powered all of these actions? Batteries. In fact, the computer or mobile device you’re currently reading this on is probably battery powered.

    Because batteries are such an integral part of your day, you want the right ones powering your activities. That’s where lithium-ion batteries come in. On the forefront of battery power, lithium is an eco-friendly alternative to the short lifespan of lead acid batteries. So how do lithium batteries differ from the traditional lead acid batteries? The energy density of lithium-ion is typically three times that of the standard lead acid battery. This means there is higher energy density potential. Essentially, it equates to a longer life span and a lighter weight for the same output of power. Lithium-ion batteries are also low maintenance and rechargeable.

    Pros

    1) Weight: Lithium-ion batteries are one-third the weight of lead acid batteries. For example. Most builders that add weight savings options in lamination are expensive. The Egret Epoxy Kevlar option is
    $7,000 on a 2011 and it cuts around 100 pounds from the hull. You can take double that weight out in 1/3 the cost with Lithium.


    2) Efficiency: Lithium-ion batteries are nearly 100% efficient in both charge and discharge, allowing for the same amp hours both in and out. Lead acid batteries’ inefficiency leads to a loss of 15 amps while charging and rapid discharging drops voltage quickly and reduces the batteries’ capacity.

    3) Discharge: Lithium-ion batteries are discharged 100% versus less than 80% for lead acid. Most lead acid batteries do not recommend more than 50% depth of discharge.

    4) Cycle Life: Rechargeable lithium-ion batteries cycle 5000 times or more compared to just 400-500 cycles in lead acid. Cycle life is greatly affected by higher levels of discharge in lead acid, versus only slightly affected in lithium-ion batteries.

    5) Voltage: Lithium-ion batteries maintain their voltage throughout the entire discharge cycle. This allows for greater and longer-lasting efficiency of electrical components. Lead acid voltage drops consistently throughout the discharge cycle.

    6) Cost: Despite the higher upfront cost of lithium-ion batteries, the true cost of ownership is far less than lead acid when considering life span and performance.

    7) Environmental Impact: Lithium-ion batteries are a much cleaner technology and are safer for the environment.

    8) Safer. I know people will find it hard to believe but you can take a wire and touch the terminals together and nothing will happen. Every RELiON lithium battery utilizes LiFePO4 chemistry. LiFePO4 cell design includes various safeguards including high temp thermal fuse, flame retardant additive and pressure relief valves.

    Cons
    1) Higher upfront costs

    2) Not every charger will fully charge them. Conveniently, most chargers work for lithium-ion purposes. Since the lithium charging algorithm is very similar to that of absorbent glass mat (AGM) batteries, most chargers or battery inverters have a manually adjusted setting able to accommodate lithium-ion batteries. Simply adjust the voltage to 14.6V to charge your lithium battery to 100% capacity


    Someone get the Grinch a Snickers bar :fishing
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    What is the first thing you did this morning? Checked your phone
    or alarm for the time? You put on your watch and turned on the morning news with the remote control? After getting dressed, you started up your car and drove to work? What powered all of these actions? Batteries. In fact, the computer or mobile device you’re currently reading this on is probably battery powered.

    Because batteries are such an integral part of your day, you want the right ones powering your activities. That’s where lithium-ion batteries come in. On the forefront of battery power, lithium is an eco-friendly alternative to the short lifespan of lead acid batteries. So how do lithium batteries differ from the traditional lead acid batteries? The energy density of lithium-ion is typically three times that of the standard lead acid battery. This means there is higher energy density potential. Essentially, it equates to a longer life span and a lighter weight for the same output of power. Lithium-ion batteries are also low maintenance and rechargeable.

    Pros

    1) Weight: Lithium-ion batteries are one-third the weight of lead acid batteries. For example. Most builders that add weight savings options in lamination are expensive. The Egret Epoxy Kevlar option is
    $7,000 on a 2011 and it cuts around 100 pounds from the hull. You can take double that weight out in 1/3 the cost with Lithium.


    2) Efficiency: Lithium-ion batteries are nearly 100% efficient in both charge and discharge, allowing for the same amp hours both in and out. Lead acid batteries’ inefficiency leads to a loss of 15 amps while charging and rapid discharging drops voltage quickly and reduces the batteries’ capacity.

    3) Discharge: Lithium-ion batteries are discharged 100% versus less than 80% for lead acid. Most lead acid batteries do not recommend more than 50% depth of discharge.

    4) Cycle Life: Rechargeable lithium-ion batteries cycle 5000 times or more compared to just 400-500 cycles in lead acid. Cycle life is greatly affected by higher levels of discharge in lead acid, versus only slightly affected in lithium-ion batteries.

    5) Voltage: Lithium-ion batteries maintain their voltage throughout the entire discharge cycle. This allows for greater and longer-lasting efficiency of electrical components. Lead acid voltage drops consistently throughout the discharge cycle.

    6) Cost: Despite the higher upfront cost of lithium-ion batteries, the true cost of ownership is far less than lead acid when considering life span and performance.

    7) Environmental Impact: Lithium-ion batteries are a much cleaner technology and are safer for the environment.

    8) Safer. I know people will find it hard to believe but you can take a wire and touch the terminals together and nothing will happen. Every RELiON lithium battery utilizes LiFePO4 chemistry. LiFePO4 cell design includes various safeguards including high temp thermal fuse, flame retardant additive and pressure relief valves.

    Cons
    1) Higher upfront costs

    2) Not every charger will fully charge them. Conveniently, most chargers work for lithium-ion purposes. Since the lithium charging algorithm is very similar to that of absorbent glass mat (AGM) batteries, most chargers or battery inverters have a manually adjusted setting able to accommodate lithium-ion batteries. Simply adjust the voltage to 14.6V to charge your lithium battery to 100% capacity


    Someone get the Grinch a Snickers bar :fishing

    Well said and exactly my point. I will add that with my last boat I saved about 1/2 mpg of fuel which translated to several hundred dollars in fuel savings in one year for me and reduced my 2 stroke oil usage and cost and gained 1 to 1.5 mph overall. Moving weight reducing fuel load only helps some and since I already do that I get the benefits of both.For every 100 lbs. removed you gain fuel economy, speed and draft.If you went with a standard Carbon Kevlar layup the cost is around 7K with only a weight saving of about 125 lbs. and if you do the Epoxy Carbon Kevlar Layup it more like 10k with a weight savings around 300 lbs. for the 2011 size hull if i'm not mistaken could be a little more for the Epoxy layup. Now if you did both Lithium and Epoxy Carbon Kevlar it would even be better performance if the price tag didn't matter. So you can see the Lithium Battery option can and will benefit you the most for your dollar spent not just in weight savings but as a whole.
    :thumbsup

    Teacher please check my grammar. I may have missed something.
  • Vinny lVinny l Posts: 352 Deckhand
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    What is the first thing you did this morning? Checked your phone
    or alarm for the time? You put on your watch and turned on the morning news with the remote control? After getting dressed, you started up your car and drove to work? What powered all of these actions? Batteries. In fact, the computer or mobile device you’re currently reading this on is probably battery powered.

    Because batteries are such an integral part of your day, you want the right ones powering your activities. That’s where lithium-ion batteries come in. On the forefront of battery power, lithium is an eco-friendly alternative to the short lifespan of lead acid batteries. So how do lithium batteries differ from the traditional lead acid batteries? The energy density of lithium-ion is typically three times that of the standard lead acid battery. This means there is higher energy density potential. Essentially, it equates to a longer life span and a lighter weight for the same output of power. Lithium-ion batteries are also low maintenance and rechargeable.

    Pros

    1) Weight: Lithium-ion batteries are one-third the weight of lead acid batteries. For example. Most builders that add weight savings options in lamination are expensive. The Egret Epoxy Kevlar option is
    $7,000 on a 2011 and it cuts around 100 pounds from the hull. You can take double that weight out in 1/3 the cost with Lithium.


    2) Efficiency: Lithium-ion batteries are nearly 100% efficient in both charge and discharge, allowing for the same amp hours both in and out. Lead acid batteries’ inefficiency leads to a loss of 15 amps while charging and rapid discharging drops voltage quickly and reduces the batteries’ capacity.

    3) Discharge: Lithium-ion batteries are discharged 100% versus less than 80% for lead acid. Most lead acid batteries do not recommend more than 50% depth of discharge.

    4) Cycle Life: Rechargeable lithium-ion batteries cycle 5000 times or more compared to just 400-500 cycles in lead acid. Cycle life is greatly affected by higher levels of discharge in lead acid, versus only slightly affected in lithium-ion batteries.

    5) Voltage: Lithium-ion batteries maintain their voltage throughout the entire discharge cycle. This allows for greater and longer-lasting efficiency of electrical components. Lead acid voltage drops consistently throughout the discharge cycle.

    6) Cost: Despite the higher upfront cost of lithium-ion batteries, the true cost of ownership is far less than lead acid when considering life span and performance.

    7) Environmental Impact: Lithium-ion batteries are a much cleaner technology and are safer for the environment.

    8) Safer. I know people will find it hard to believe but you can take a wire and touch the terminals together and nothing will happen. Every RELiON lithium battery utilizes LiFePO4 chemistry. LiFePO4 cell design includes various safeguards including high temp thermal fuse, flame retardant additive and pressure relief valves.

    Cons
    1) Higher upfront costs

    2) Not every charger will fully charge them. Conveniently, most chargers work for lithium-ion purposes. Since the lithium charging algorithm is very similar to that of absorbent glass mat (AGM) batteries, most chargers or battery inverters have a manually adjusted setting able to accommodate lithium-ion batteries. Simply adjust the voltage to 14.6V to charge your lithium battery to 100% capacity


    Someone get the Grinch a Snickers bar :fishing

    Now that's an outstanding response:applause:applause
  • Vinny lVinny l Posts: 352 Deckhand
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    Well said and exactly my point. I will add that with my last boat I saved about 1/2 mpg of fuel which translated to several hundred dollars in fuel savings in one year for me and reduced my 2 stroke oil usage and cost and gained 1 to 1.5 mph overall. Moving weight reducing fuel load only helps some and since I already do that I get the benefits of both. For every 100 lbs. removed you gain fuel economy,speed and draft. If you went with a Carbon Kevlar layup it would even be better performance if the price tag didn't matter.
    :thumbsup

    Teacher please check my grammar. I may have missed something.

    Missed the space between economy, speed.
    98 :Rockon:Rockon
  • MonomanMonoman Posts: 977 Officer
    I'm the weight saving on my boat:grin

    Yeah you're doing it wrong... You're supposed to spend money on lighter parts to reduce rig weight and continue to overeat whatever you want.
    This signature intentionally left blank.
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    I can clearly see what your saying.You are quite the petite individual aren't you...:grin


    Good things come in handsome, mustached little packages.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    Good things come in handsome, mustached little packages.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


    Are you saying he is a spinner?
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • DoctorTDoctorT Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    24 v unless you don't plan on working into the wind and/tide. Manual operated is best if you flyfish as you can place handle between your legs and make your course correction while continuing to work the rod and line. Hands free operation
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    X2


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    DoctorT wrote: »
    24 v unless you don't plan on working into the wind and/tide. Manual operated is best if you flyfish as you can place handle between your legs and make your course correction while continuing to work the rod and line. Hands free operation


    X2


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Vinny lVinny l Posts: 352 Deckhand
    DoctorT wrote: »
    24 v unless you don't plan on working into the wind and/tide. Manual operated is best if you flyfish as you can place handle between your legs and make your course correction while continuing to work the rod and line. Hands free operation

    Or

    Teach the wife how to use the remote:crossed
  • AUcaryAUcary Posts: 37 Deckhand
    UPDATE:

    I ended up taking the boat to Boattronics of North Florida to have the wiring of TM done along with an onboard charger. Tony is a neighbor of mine and I love to give him business when I can. We ended up going with the new 80LB thrust 24V Ulterra iPilot. The 2 trolling motor batteries along with the cranking battery are all in the back of the boat. After fishing for 2 days this weekend I can honestly say that I am thrilled with the choice. The new Ulterra is simply amazing. It has so much capability to make boat control less work. I can't disagree more with the fact that I would need a hand control to fly fish, the Ulterra gives me the capability to fish an entire stretch of bank without making any adjustments at all. Its like having some one else run the TM. I honestly think the days of hand controlled TM's are numbered.
Sign In or Register to comment.