Home Egret Boats

Trolling Motor setup for new to me 189

AUcaryAUcary Posts: 37 Deckhand
Hey guys,

I am going to pick up a new to me 189 on Saturday, I was wondering if you guys could give me some input on trolling motors. The boat does not have a TM installed right now and although I have had them on my Hells Bays that I previously owned I have never seen an install on an Egret. Where do the batteries go? Front or back of the boat? How many pounds of thrust should I go with?

Thanks for all your help in advance guys!

Cary

Replies

• HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    I have a 70 lb 24 volt Minn Kota hand control on mine. Ripped my iPilot off both my boats and went hand control. Hands down (no pun intended).

If you are going to fish shallows and shorelines go hand control. If you are going to fish inlets and bridges get an iPilot.
  • AUcaryAUcary Posts: 37 Deckhand
    I have had iPilots on all my previous boats and thats the direction I would like to go in with this one. I was hoping that 24V would be enough, thanks for confirming that. How do you have your batteries set up?
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    For a 24 volt system, most people can fit the cranking battery and their two trolling motor batteries in the recessed area under the helm seat compartment.

I had a 36 volt system on my prior 189 and my 2011. Never felt like I had too much power. For my 189 with a 36 volt set up, I had my cranking battery and one trolling motor battery in the helm seat compartment and the other two trolling motor batteries in the large front compartment. Frank installs a plexiglass cover in the front compartment over the batteries that acts as a false floor where you can still load that compartment up without any of it touching the batteries.

In my 2011, I have a Lithium Pros 12 volt cranking battery and one a Lithium Pro's 36 volt trolling battery, both in the under seat compartment. That saved me a ton of weight and opened up the entire front compartment for storage which is nice.
    91tiger wrote: »
    For a 24 volt system, most people can fit the cranking battery and their two trolling motor batteries in the recessed area under the helm seat compartment.

I had a 36 volt system on my prior 189 and my 2011. Never felt like I had too much power. For my 189 with a 36 volt set up, I had my cranking battery and one trolling motor battery in the helm seat compartment and the other two trolling motor batteries in the large front compartment. Frank installs a plexiglass cover in the front compartment over the batteries that acts as a false floor where you can still load that compartment up without any of it touching the batteries.

In my 2011, I have a Lithium Pros 12 volt cranking battery and one a Lithium Pro's 36 volt trolling battery, both in the under seat compartment. That saved me a ton of weight and opened up the entire front compartment for storage which is nice.

man that sounds awesome, would you mind sharing photos of that? I am a big fan of the lithium technology but I wonder about the maintenance and durability of them. I have toasted many a lithium pack in my rc planes over the years ha!
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    AUcary wrote: »
    man that sounds awesome, would you mind sharing photos of that? I am a big fan of the lithium technology but I wonder about the maintenance and durability of them. I have toasted many a lithium pack in my rc planes over the years ha!

I moved all of the batteries away from under the seat after years of running like that. Now I have the house battery installed under the console and the two trolling batteries up front with one on each shelf of the front compartment. Runs better like that and the extra storage that was freed up for tackle under the seat was great at really no cost because the area under the console was all just useless dead space anyway and I rarely used the shelves for anything.

I prefer a min 80# thrust trolling motor on the 189 and after moving from a tiller set up to a remote control where I can control from the platform or anywhere on the boat I would never go back. I usually fish on the platform and use the trolling motor to move around.
    I will be glad to share some pics of my set up but I struggle loading pics on this site. Just PM me an e-mail or number I can text them to and I will get you some shots on Friday when I'm back in town.

As far as the Lithiums go, I am still evaluating them myself and hesitate to push anybody towards them till I get a few years on them. I have been very pleased with them so far but I have no idea about longevity. I am thinking about adding a second 36 volt battery in my console for extreme situations where I'm sitting in a raging current for hours on spot lock while tarpon fishing. It's probably overkill but I want to have maximum reserve capacity for that situation. For normal trolling motor usage (hoping from spot to spot all day, fishing a half hour to hour at each location) the lithium batteries paired with the Stealth Charger keeps my trolling bank well above 40.3 volts all day long. I haven't plugged in when I get home but 3 times since I picked the boat up from Frank in June...and I use my trolling motor exclusively (no poling platform).
  • trponhuntertrponhunter Posts: 249 Deckhand
    24 volt is enough. I am not certain what the model number is - but I recently switched out my pilot for the new mine kota that self deploys at the press of a button, as opposed to having to go up to the motor and deploy it with your foot and the manually re stowing it - highly recommended - so much easier and extends the fishing day because of the lack of hassle to stop and try a spot. I would never go back, and could not imagine going by hand control.
    *Previous - 2000 Egret 189 carbon w/ vmax 150 - twin rotating prop
    *Previous - 2008 Egret 189 carbon w/ ETEC 150
    *Previous 2010 Beavertail Vengence w/ETEC 90
    *Current - 2015 Beavertail BTV w/ Suzuki 90
    I'm with Tarpon Hunter on that one. He is talking about the Minn Kota Ultera. The newest model has the improved spot lock anchor and it is awesome, so much more precise anchor function. I do worry about the auto stowe and deploy being a complicated system and naturally have more trouble but man is it nice. To make sure I am not down on one of my tarpon trips because of a trolling motor issue, I keep a spare trolling motor on top of my RV at all times. That has saved my trip twice now when I had trolling motor issues (not the Ultera, it was my old motor).
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    I have a like new Motor Guide xI-5 24 volt for sale if anyone is interested PM me
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 550 Officer
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    I have a like new Motor Guide xI-5 24 volt for sale if anyone is interested PM me

Take a 18-month old MK Riptide 80lb, 24-volt as a partial trade? I also know a guy at work looking for one.
    On my Egret I have the two trolling batteries up front under the hatch. Frank puts a plexiglass floor with the egret logo up there and the batteries sit under it. This way you still have the full hatch space. You can see it in my build thread.

I agree with Glenn about the boat running better like that.

Currently considering getting lithiums put into my little boat this weekend. HB is telling me they will no longer install them for a house battery. Something about multiple people getting stranded and no good indicator of their remaining power.

Would love some feedback from people about this and if I should just do the trollers or buy the third lithium on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    Lithium batteries= a solution in search of a problem. "Newer" to marine use, a checkered history with fire/combustion issues (think 787 dreamliner and Galaxy Note7) and, oh, they are not cheap. My current AGM technology has never stranded me, caught fire, broke the bank OR kept me from catching fish and having a great time. I sense all the tech weenies will have a litany of reasons why i'm off.
    Spoke to my electronics guy today, he wants to run a 24V system on 2 group 31 batteries and run a smaller group battery for a house. He thinks this will cut down the weight and simplify the system. In this set up I guess all of the batteries would stay in the back under the seat. I would love to put more weight up front if I could. I just cannot picture how they would sit up there without the boat in front of me.

He found a good deal on one the the first gen Ulterra's. I really want to go with the TM but I planned on getting one of the new and improved ones. I am not a huge fan of getting version 1 of anything...
    Ryan, my guess on why Hells Bay is staying away from them for a Cranking/House battery is the lack of an ability to jump them off if you need to from the 24 volt or 36 volt trolling battery. The older model 24/36 volt Lithium Pros like mine have a 12 volt post running to one of the cells in the 36 volt bank for jump off purposes. They have discontinued the 12 volt post because too mmany customers were turning their battery selector switch to Battery 2 and running the boat from that one 12 volt cell in the 36 volt bank. It was causing the battery cells to become out of balance or even over charged...at least that was my understanding.

Another possibility is Lithiums don't show signs of discharge like a normal battery, they keep a much higher voltage all the way through discharge curve, which is nice for your electronics not acting all goofy when you crank or get lower on voltage. But when they discharge down to a certain point there are saftey circuits that shut the battery down completely prior to total discharge which could damage the battery. At that point, you have to jump the battery off just to wake it back up. Not sure how you would do this without a second 12 volt power source. I think Danny at Stealth is now recommending 2 much smaller Lithium 12 volt cranking batteries rather than my single cranking. That way you have a cranking and a house battery where one could jump off the other. I can jump from my trolling bank but that is no longer an option.

As I was pretty clear about above, I'm not recommending Lithiums to anybody, I'm just providing opinions and a few facts from my experiences with my set up. They have been great for me so far but they are complicated and there is a learning curve.
    Ryan.

I have the opposite experience with LI in mt HB skiff, but my skiff has a 25 amp charging system. I talked to the service manager on Tuesday when I was in there and he mentioned the 70 was not charging the house battery on a few skiffs. First of all those skiffs had multiple livewell pumps running and the gps. The motor puts out 17 amps max charging at full throttle. I am going to call the rep today for the batteries for you.
    Frank,

Thank you. Also have heard the weight savings on the bow may actually reduce the quality of the ride. I'm going to do some more research today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That makes sense that there are charge back problems with the smaller alternators. My Yamaha 250 has a 50 AMP alternator and gets my cranking back to the 13 volts to make the stealth charger kick on within a couple of seconds even with my pumps going. With my old Hells Bay, my Stealth Charger never provided a ton of benefit because it would take a while for the cranking battery to get back up to that voltage.
    Lithium batteries= a solution in search of a problem. "Newer" to marine use, a checkered history with fire/combustion issues (think 787 dreamliner and Galaxy Note7) and, oh, they are not cheap. My current AGM technology has never stranded me, caught fire, broke the bank OR kept me from catching fish and having a great time. I sense all the tech weenies will have a litany of reasons why i'm off.

I guess you can do without that fiberglass boat and motor. With every evolving step we take there will be steps back. There was a time when people would only use wood boats and fiberglass had issues. I bet your phone has a LI chemistry battery. You may want to throw it far away. It will blow at any second. :banana
    I guess you can do without that fiberglass boat and motor. With every evolving step we take there will be steps back. There was a time when people would only use wood boats and fiberglass had issues. I bet your phone has a LI chemistry battery. You may want to throw it far away. It will blow at any second. :banana

No, I'll just let people like you endure "the steps back" first before I make the move.
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    No, I'll just let people like you endure "the steps back" first before I make the move.

I saw some of these batteries at the boat show. Love the light weight but at near $900 each and still with some kinks to work out, I'm sticking with the heavier caveman batteries. Perhaps in 2 - 5 years LI will make more sense.
    I saw some of these batteries at the boat show. Love the light weight but at near $900 each and still with some kinks to work out, I'm sticking with the heavier caveman batteries. Perhaps in 2 - 5 years LI will make more sense.

Precisely. I confident they will make sense...some day.

I have not had one issue with Lithium batteries in my boat.Steps forward made for me. The Relion is a great product and I highly recommend it. You may want to rethink that statement. Having said that, spending the extra money on a boat that does not need the weight savings may not be worth it. I am not putting them in my bay boat. The skiff weight savings was cheap per pound with LI when you start talking about more costly laminates.

Flatsboys have been bulletproof and moved to his new boat also. His batteries will outlast 4 sets of caveman batteries.
    I think there are some huge advantages of Lithium but I am going to wait a few years for them to come down a bit. In every hobby that they have been introduced into they have always come down a tremendous amount in a few years. I know this from the RC batteries I used to use. They are 10 times cheaper now than they were 10 years ago.

On another note, I picked up the boat this weekend! She is a little rough around the edges but has a ton of potential. After speaking with a few owners I think I am going to keep the batteries in the back. I plan on going with a tower on the front for sight fishing and that should balance out the boat a bit down the road.
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    I'm old school w/ the Master Repair tiller handle and AGM batteries.
    24 volt system w/ MotorGuide.
    I can troll and cast from the bow and see what is going on.
    4 years on the original batteries.
    Stealth system keeps everything running extremely well.
    Egrets , not being technical poling skiffs, can carry the weight.
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
    I have not had one issue with Lithium batteries in my boat.Steps forward made for me. The Relion is a great product and I highly recommend it. You may want to rethink that statement. Having said that, spending the extra money on a boat that does not need the weight savings may not be worth it. I am not putting them in my bay boat. The skiff weight savings was cheap per pound with LI when you start talking about more costly laminates.

Flatsboys have been bulletproof and moved to his new boat also. His batteries will outlast 4 sets of caveman batteries.

No need to re-think it. Again, at the current price differential AND the fact that this is a newer application for the technology, I think a gym membership would be a more effective way to reduce weight in the boat...particularly given the weight of many fishermen I see.

Nice that you are happy with yours and your thoughts on them; clearly at this point your not changing mine.
    No need to re-think it. Again, at the current price differential AND the fact that this is a newer application for the technology, I think a gym membership would be a more effective way to reduce weight in the boat...particularly given the weight of many fishermen I see.

Nice that you are happy with yours and your thoughts on them; clearly at this point your not changing mine.

I really do not care if you like them or not. I meant you need to rethink your idea of people like me taking a step back. That is not what I did and I want to make sure that was clear. Your views on them are not a concern of mine.
  • Amurleopard1967Amurleopard1967 Posts: 267 Deckhand
    I'm old school w/ the Master Repair tiller handle and AGM batteries.
    24 volt system w/ MotorGuide.
    I can troll and cast from the bow and see what is going on.
    4 years on the original batteries.
    Stealth system keeps everything running extremely well.
    Egrets , not being technical poling skiffs, can carry the weight.

I was able to get 8 years on my batteries.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    I've been using Lithium batteries in my boat for almost two years now. They have been the best investment so far. There is no need to fear them as they are stable with built in isolation and a fire retardant per cell if something would to happen along with the built in battery management system another safeguard.
    For the people that say they are too rich for there blood and think the old school batteries are still superior. I guess they don't like change or being on the cutting edge with technology to reak the benefits they offer. They will wait till they can buy them at the dollar store to justify them...
    For anyone that wants to know what the benefits are it's simple. It's the best power to weight saving you can buy for the money period. No propeller or engine mod can give you the gains in draft,fuel economy & speed that Lithium batteries can.
    Lithium have a longer life span and longer warranty and put out 100% power the whole time and hold a higher voltage than Lead Acid & AGM technology along with allowing your electronics & motor operate to there fullest potential.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    I've been using Lithium batteries in my boat for almost two years now. They have been the best investment so far. There is no need to fear them as they are stable with built in isolation and a fire retardant per cell if something would to happen along with the built in battery management system another safeguard.
    For the people that say they are too rich for there blood and think the old school batteries are still superior. I guess they don't like change or being on the cutting edge with technology to reak the benefits they offer. They will wait till they can buy them at the dollar store to justify them...
    For anyone that wants to know what the benefits are it's simple. It's the best power to weight saving you can buy for the money period. No propeller or engine mod can give you the gains in draft,fuel economy & speed that Lithium batteries can.
    Lithium have a longer life span and longer warranty and put out 100% power the whole time and hold a higher voltage than Lead Acid & AGM technology along with allowing your electronics & motor operate to there fullest potential.

I'm the weight saving on my boat:grin
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    I can clearly see what your saying.You are quite the petite individual aren't you...:grin