Skip to main content
Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Oysta barssss

Greetings All!

I'm new to this forum and have been looking on tactics and ways to target and locate these fish. (Redfish, trout, and snook).
Boat - 16 foot Ankona copperhead
Tackle - spin (usually live baiting with shrimp this time of year)

So here is my delemma, I usually go fishing on a incrementing tide and fish oyster bars with popping corks. I always see people have lots of success with those popping corks and oyster bars but I can't seem to get anything but snapper and ladyfish. I usually anchor up and sit casting popping every 12-14 seconds. I try fishing the bottom and still will only manage snapper, catfish, ladyfish, and some trout. I usually fish the outside on the 1/2+ incrementing tide. With the outgoing I usually work my way up towards the bay's like fackahatchee and fish them on the transition from peak high to 1/2 outgoing. I will also use popping corks and bottom rigs to see what kind of action I can get and even then I'm not doing so hot. So my question is there any special things I should look for such as currents, depth contours, type of bottom, or things like that?

Replies

• blewitupsirblewitupsir Senior Member Everglades City/Labelle FLPosts: 774 Officer
    Try the cork option on the drop offs where the bar goes from shallow to deep. Typically there will be a small channel or trough, and you might use the cork there. And instead of the cork, tie on a simple bucktail jig, tipped with some of that shrimp and work around those bars. Might be surprised what finds you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    http://hopefishing.comFishing the Florida Everglades National Park with Hope Fishing Adventures.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Senior Member Posts: 4,799 Captain
    Remember as well that not every bar is holding fish... I will hit a bar (particularly corners (or as noted above) when I can see a definite current working - and if no hits in a few casts quickly move to another... Keep at it - remember as well to have a watch or clock with you and make a point of remembering what time you got a bite at a specific location.. At the end of the day with beverage in hand - get out your tide info for that day and you chart and try to figure out just what the tide was doing where you were... The next day, one hour later, you might find the same action (if conditions remain the same...). Over time you'll learn which bars produce and at what tide phase -very useful info....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Senior Member Naples FLPosts: 1,861 Captain
    Not to high jack OP but can there be too much current? I know of some oyster bars in some channels next to deep water but that water is MOVING!!!
    Jason :USA
  • yeet239yeet239 Junior Member Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    1outlaw wrote: »
    Not to high jack OP but can there be too much current? I know of some oyster bars in some channels next to deep water but that water is MOVING water.

I've been fishing popping corks just about any area that I've seen an oyster bar on a low tide and marked on a chart. Again I have limited success with only the mangos, cats, lady fishes, and the occasional trout. There will be a good size current but never one where I can't present the cork as should be. So I'm very curious. Also what is a good way on a peak high tide to fish for reds and snook since they get so far into them trees? In the summer I use to chum with pilchards, but since the pilchards have moved off I don't want to throw shrimp out. I've been thinking about using frozen shrimp chunks and tossing them? Or putting them in a mesh bag off the boat? Anyone ever done this? I'm going Thursday and Friday with the front so that should be exciting LOL.
  • BobberBobber Senior Member Posts: 943 Officer
    If you can't find the fish, have the fish find you. Put a chum tube on the bar just above the incoming waterline and quietly wait....
    Or go with a small chunk of fresh killed ladyfish on a knocker rig just up-current of that spot... Leave the rod in the rodholder with regular drag and don't even touch it until it bends over and the reel sounds... A chunk in a likely spot with a current to carry the scent - and if you don't get a hit in twenty minutes -there's no redfish there...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    lemaymiami wrote: »
    Or go with a small chunk of fresh killed ladyfish on a knocker rig just up-current of that spot... Leave the rod in the rodholder with regular drag and don't even touch it until it bends over and the reel sounds... A chunk in a likely spot with a current to carry the scent - and if you don't get a hit in twenty minutes -there's no redfish there...

It would be an honor to fish with you one day Capt. Lemay! I'm a fly fisherman at heart so figuring out this live bait stuff is a challenge to me. It's frustrating but I'm sure it's worthwhile! Live baiting for snook, is like the most difficult thing on this planet for me idk why. I have only been able to get them with finger Mullet in the summertime. Snook on artificials is fairly easy, but for snook I try to fish leeways where the current lays down and on a point or something but even then I don't have much success! It's weird - I feel like sight fishing them is a lot easier! Lol
  • tjensentjensen Member Posts: 358 Deckhand

When fishing the Ladyfish chunks ,what size and style of hook(2/0 circle)? Also is the Ladyfish a stronger smell than say a Mullet chunk?
    The secret to using any cutbait is use fresh killed bait -nothing frozen... You also need some current so that the bait acts as its own chum line. I think that lady fish is the best bait around - but the truth is that it's the easiest to catch while you're
    fishing for other species with small lures. Lady fish doesn't freeze we'll at all - if you must use frozen bait mullet works much better...

By the way we're usually doing other things (fishing with small lures) while also having one or two small chunks sitting on the bottom nearby....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    The secret to using any cutbait is use fresh killed bait -nothing frozen... You also need some current so that the bait acts as its own chum line. I think that lady fish is the best bait around - but the truth is that it's the easiest to catch while you're
    fishing for other species with small lures. Lady fish doesn't freeze we'll at all - if you must use frozen bait mullet works much better...

By the way we're usually doing other things (fishing with small lures) while also having one or two small chunks sitting on the bottom nearby....

Did anyone else struggle with the full moon today??? Super dirty water and hardly managed 3 fish. All were ladies - LOL
  • gmc2500gmc2500 Junior Member Posts: 30 Greenhorn
    For what it's worth, I usually find better success on the outside points at the higher tide phases! Last hour of incoming into the first 1/2 hr of outgoing! Shrimp or cut bait on the bottom up against deadwood will probably get you a few bites, redfish, snook occasional flounder etc., also fish out on the flats for trout and pompano when the water is high. Then I will move my way inside when tide is flushing out on the outside! Good luck ever fighting off the catfish when using this bait method of fishing, you will for sure catch your share of those lol!
  • CapnAhabCapnAhab Senior Member Lehigh AcresPosts: 250 Deckhand
    Remember as well that not every bar is holding fish... I will hit a bar (particularly corners (or as noted above) when I can see a definite current working - and if no hits in a few casts quickly move to another... Keep at it - remember as well to have a watch or clock with you and make a point of remembering what time you got a bite at a specific location.. At the end of the day with beverage in hand - get out your tide info for that day and you chart and try to figure out just what the tide was doing where you were... The next day, one hour later, you might find the same action (if conditions remain the same...). Over time you'll learn which bars produce and at what tide phase -very useful info....

Fantastic instruction. Thank you
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days
    Glorious in all of Your ways
    The majesty the wonder and grace
    In the light of Your Name

Let hope rise and darkness tremble
    In Your holy light
    That every eye will see Jesus our God
    Great and mighty to be praised