Two personal bests in a day

SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
Not monsters but I got my biggest snook on fly and biggest drum on fly during a recent trip.. Saw this snook laid up on some deadwood and fed him a white/chartruese tarpon bunny.. He was almost just another fish story because he wolfed the fly way back in his throat and almost wore through my 40# bite tippet with those sandpaper teeth..

Screenshot_2016-11-04-08-30-11-1_zpsqgzsjhen.png

Ended up scoring a few drum on the whip as well, this one being the biggest..

DSCN0957-1_zpsddxcfdxw.jpg

DSCN0958-1_zpswvwqnvzu.jpg

I need to bring it out with me more and leave the spin gear at home.. I still can't cast efficiantly from the kayak so I have to get out and wade to the fish and cast that way.. Pretty much I have to find extremely stupid fish :rotflmao ... It's a blast though when it all comes together!

Replies

• TgrassTgrass Posts: 204 Deckhand
    I think the angle of the Snook makes it look like a football but I know it is much longer than it appears in the picture. Investing in Bite tippet is always money well spent. I have seen more than one good snook wear through a leader.

I got my first two Big Black Drum this year. I am curious if you got yours fishing a mud that they will kick up sort like Bonefish or was it sight fished or good old blind casting.

Congrats on both fish, well done. :applause

Keep working on the casting. work on technique and the distance will take car of itself.
  • redjimredjim Posts: 774 Officer
    Great job Marc!!!!!!

:thumbsup
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    Well done.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • SUPER DSUPER D Posts: 672 Officer
    Great fun, I use 40# for Tarpon with 14# tippet. Can get a 100 pounder to the boat with the leader in rod three or four times before they chew through the fourty. For most of my Snook, I use 8# with a 20# shock. Most are 30 inches or less though. Get many more to eat with the lighter shock. You are smoking me with the Drum. My best and only one was only a little bigger than a big Pinfish. I did catch a 39 inch Red in the middle of a school of big blacks that I couldn't buy a bite from. Again great catches!!!