High Winds and Slimed Decks

The wind has been crankin lately.. Which usually equates to a good bite if you can handle fishing (or paddling) in it.. Yesterday I had planned to go sheepshead fishing but bailed out last minute because of the high winds which equals a strong current and that makes sheepin pretty tough so I decided to hit the flats instead..

It was post-frontal yesterday with high pressure so I didn't expect the bite to be on fire or anything but had hopes of squeezing a few drum out with some luck.. As I suspected with the high winds, the school was not on the surface finning out like they have been which makes them tough to find in deeper water.. There's a big 10ft deep hole nearby where they like to lay in high winds so that's where I concentrated my efforts..

I put on a gulp shrimp and dragged it excrutiatingly slow across the bottom of this deep hole.. Get thumped.. It's a catfish.. I thought to myself **** it's gonna be one of THOSE days lol.. **** it out again and got another thump, but this one had some weight to it..

Screenshot_2016-12-02-07-36-23_zps7dwhsewi.png

Once I dialed in on em it was game over.. Got em slow rolling the gulp on the bottom dragging them as slow as possible..

Screenshot_2016-12-02-08-33-39-1_zpscyybijol.png

Screenshot_2016-12-02-10-06-06-1_zpsbxo0imbo.png

Screenshot_2016-12-02-10-40-35-1_zpsorokv5kr.png

Screenshot_2016-12-02-09-14-28-1_zpsfwgor3wh.png

Screenshot_2016-12-02-11-21-00-1_zpsbb5aiayz.png

I also had 4 or 5 fish pull off the hook during the fight and had one breakoff as well.. Not bad for 3 hours fishing.. Paid for it on the paddle back though.. I legit thought I wasn't going to make it back.. 3 foot breaking swells the whole 2 mile paddle back.. And it wasn't a headwind in the direction I had to travel, the wind and waves were on my starboard side with the occasional wave breaking over the side of the kayak.. Ended up swamped with 6" of water by the time I got back to the launch.. Took an hour to paddle 2 miles so that will tell you how bad it was.. Still got bent though so it was worth it!

Replies

• gettinwetgettinwet Posts: 1,366 Officer
    The wind has been crankin lately.. Which usually equates to a good bite if you can handle fishing (or paddling) in it.. Yesterday I had planned to go sheepshead fishing but bailed out last minute because of the high winds which equals a strong current and that makes sheepin pretty tough so I decided to hit the flats instead..

It was post-frontal yesterday with high pressure so I didn't expect the bite to be on fire or anything but had hopes of squeezing a few drum out with some luck.. As I suspected with the high winds, the school was not on the surface finning out like they have been which makes them tough to find in deeper water.. There's a big 10ft deep hole nearby where they like to lay in high winds so that's where I concentrated my efforts..

I put on a gulp shrimp and dragged it excrutiatingly slow across the bottom of this deep hole.. Get thumped.. It's a catfish.. I thought to myself **** it's gonna be one of THOSE days lol.. **** it out again and got another thump, but this one had some weight to it..

Screenshot_2016-12-02-07-36-23_zps7dwhsewi.png

Once I dialed in on em it was game over.. Got em slow rolling the gulp on the bottom dragging them as slow as possible..

Screenshot_2016-12-02-08-33-39-1_zpscyybijol.png

Screenshot_2016-12-02-10-06-06-1_zpsbxo0imbo.png

Screenshot_2016-12-02-10-40-35-1_zpsorokv5kr.png

Screenshot_2016-12-02-09-14-28-1_zpsfwgor3wh.png

Screenshot_2016-12-02-11-21-00-1_zpsbb5aiayz.png

I also had 4 or 5 fish pull off the hook during the fight and had one breakoff as well.. Not bad for 3 hours fishing.. Paid for it on the paddle back though.. I legit thought I wasn't going to make it back.. 3 foot breaking swells the whole 2 mile paddle back.. And it wasn't a headwind in the direction I had to travel, the wind and waves were on my starboard side with the occasional wave breaking over the side of the kayak.. Ended up swamped with 6" of water by the time I got back to the launch.. Took an hour to paddle 2 miles so that will tell you how bad it was.. Still got bent though so it was worth it!

Electric chicken.......my go to too!! I love those bigger ones too cause you can through them on a weedless hook right up under brush/mangrove overhangs!
    There are only so many casts in life, so shut up and fish!!
  • FlfjackFlfjack Posts: 646 Officer
    way to make the best of rough conditions. nice work.
    East Boynton
    IG jack.bbi
  • FishseekerFishseeker Posts: 79 Greenhorn
    Great report and pics!
    Tenacity pays off again
    Nice work
  • WhooperWhooper Posts: 101 Officer
    Awesome report SCS! Well worth the paddle.
  • trousertroutmantrousertroutman Posts: 1,332 Officer
    Slay
    Make the forum great again.....consolidate general fishing with for sale or business but keep reports separate!
  • bostonsox2904bostonsox2904 Posts: 123 Deckhand
    I should've looked at this before fishing Sunday. It was blustery and the water was only 64 F, with not much sunshine to speak of. What things are you looking for when searching for Black Drum?
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    Don't worry too much about the cold if it's drum you're after.. They remain active all through winter on the flats..

There's no real one thing to look for.. If they're up and cruising you will see the wake from the school.. Sometimes they hold bottom motionless so you'll have to bump them in this situation.. A good method is when you're poling/trolling the flats, work in zig zag fashion so you're covering a wider range of depths..
  • bostonsox2904bostonsox2904 Posts: 123 Deckhand
    Thanks for the tips, I'll have to cover some water and get after them! I'm finally finding my way in our vast fishery, but it's not easy with those winter winds. :spin