Red Tide and Good Fishing

Since my normal haunts in North Matlacha Pass are red tided, I've been heading south below the bridge and fishing in front of my house. Fishing has been surprisingly steady. Slot size and undersized snook have been steady in the predawn and dawn time frame. Lost a monster this AM to the trees. The redfish bite has been steady as well. Fishing isn't on fire but a pick bite is better than water devoid of life like in the red tide areas. Thinking about heading north and checking it out over the next couple of days to see if red tide has cleared up and fish have moved back in. Let's hope.

Even managed do do a bit of work for Cheeky Fishing last week. New fly reels coming out 12.12.16

Replies

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,148 Captain
    awesome!

Great pics as usual.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • fishdishfishdish Posts: 1,223 Officer
    Solid report! Thank you for sharing. I hope the water quality issues improve quickly.
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,083 Officer
    Very nice!!
    Jason :USA
  • MuskyChaserMuskyChaser Posts: 134 Deckhand
    Nice job, those are some awesome pics. Heading down there to fish the Fort Myers/Sanibel area in a week, hoping the red tide isn't an issue.
    Please subscribe to my YouTube channel for HD big game fishing! https://youtu.be/gArGhITKlzE
  • CapnAhabCapnAhab Posts: 250 Deckhand
    Fantastic photos. Love those. Do you mind telling me what soft plastics those are? I'd like to give those a try.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days
    Glorious in all of Your ways
    The majesty the wonder and grace
    In the light of Your Name

Let hope rise and darkness tremble
    In Your holy light
    That every eye will see Jesus our God
    Great and mighty to be praised
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,489 Officer
    awesome! jealous
  • TimGleasonTimGleason Posts: 289 Deckhand
    Nice job, those are some awesome pics. Heading down there to fish the Fort Myers/Sanibel area in a week, hoping the red tide isn't an issue.

Red tide in the pass seems to be cleaned out...
    CapnAhab wrote: »
    Fantastic photos. Love those. Do you mind telling me what soft plastics those are? I'd like to give those a try.

Those are Berkley Grass Pigs rigged on a 5/0 Owner Twistlock hook with a 1/8 weight. Throws a mile and gets bit. A good search and mullet school bait. Designed for bass fishing.
    Red tide seems to be cleaned out of Matlacha Pass. At least not seeing dead fish anymore. Had an epic day of snook fishing on Saturday. I found a spook of Friday, changed out hooks nd proceeded to get about 30 topwater blasts with 15 connections. Some decent fish as well.
    That is awesome! Nothing beats topwater action. I mainly use spooks and skitterwalks for topwater action. I'm gonna give those Grass Pigs a try. They look awesome. Are they scented at all? Have you been steady retrieving them or bouncing them?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days

In Your holy light
    CapnAhab wrote: »
    That is awesome! Nothing beats topwater action. I mainly use spooks and skitterwalks for topwater action. I'm gonna give those Grass Pigs a try. They look awesome. Are they scented at all? Have you been steady retrieving them or bouncing them?

no scent - I mostly reel pretty fast and steady. Sometimes will vary retrieve speed but never bounce. Just trying for a reaction bite. Fave colors are white/silver flake and black/purple
    Very cool, thanks Tim. I'll give them a try. The website for them says they have a nice wiggle to them as they're swimming. Those colors look great. I've been checking out Controlled Descent Lures as well. They're paddle tails that you can add foam, weight, scent, or whatever you want inside a hollow body cavity that will allow you to control how fast they sink. That hollow body holds the scent really well and for a long time. They have two paddles, one standard paddle tail and one small one underneath to look like multiple fleeing prey. Give them a look.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days

In Your holy light