Home Off Topic

Jimmy V Week

ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,987 AG
Starts today on ESPN. Watching the 30 for 30 now. Good stuff.

The world needs more guys like Jimmy V.

And a cure needs to be found.

http://www.jimmyv.org

Replies

• Fly HookerFly Hooker Posts: 4,199 Captain
    I agree what a great guy!
  • anglingarchitectanglingarchitect Posts: 1,492 Officer
    Fly Hooker wrote: »
    I agree what a great guy!

He gave the most inspiring and emotional speech I have ever heard. Gets real dusty and I get choked up, every time I hear it.
    rent my beach house
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,987 AG
    Watch the Survive and Advance 30 for 30 about the 83 NCState team.

It's inspiring in many ways.
  • anglingarchitectanglingarchitect Posts: 1,492 Officer
    Resinhead wrote: »
    Watch the Survive and Advance 30 for 30 about the 83 NCState team.

It's inspiring in many ways.

It was on last night.
    Watched it.
    rent my beach house
    It's ESPY time so it's also Jimmy V time.

Give what you can give to help find the cure.

It's hopefully right down the road.
    I'm a little late this year due to Hurricane Michael but it will not stop me.

I've lost many people very close to me including my Mom, Sister, Father in law, numerous friends and family and almost my wife. That being said...

We need to find a cure and it is a huge task and may never be accomplished but we still need to try and not give up.

Jim Valvano was a huge inspiration to me and my family and I try to live by his words. Every day you should laugh, think and be brought to tears. Watch this video and remember, never give up, never give up. Give what you can be it monetarily, time or whatever those effected need.

https://secure3.convio.net/jimmyv/site/Donation2;jsessionid=00000000.app30130b?df_id=5755&mfc_pref=T&5755.donation=form1&s_src=shortlink&s_subsrc=donate&NONCE_TOKEN=8EC3464374B718AB8305B2826AF442AE
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,623 Admiral
    edited December 2018 #8
    He was awesome! Lost a lot of family members too, but when I lost my 31 year  old  son from cancer  I died inside as well. I now just exist. Don't care about me. They have to find a cure. It just doesn't make sense., We all have to deal with this horrible sickness. Seems there should be more progress by now.

I know it's tough, AC. Can't imagine losing one of my kids. It was terrifying watching my older sister pass when I was 19. Then my mom when I was 30.

We need to find a cure.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,623 Admiral
    edited December 2018 #10
    Resinhead said:
    I know it's tough, AC. Can't imagine losing one of my kids. It was terrifying watching my older sister pass when I was 19. Then my mom when I was 30.

We need to find a cure.
    Good God. Yes a child is horrible, but sounds like you have had it very rough.Very sorry.  

You know what gets me? People greeting me at the store etc saying how are you? Don't say that people. Say hi!. I'm up for that. 

People that say how you doing don't have death and tragedy  problems.

The best I can say when asked is fine thanks, or hanging in there. I never return the question. That is for happy people that didnt watch their child die in front of them. Sorry for the rant.

I would not  have realized it either with a perfect life. We have to get a cure for cancer. It is hurting most  everyone in every family
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    Man, guys. Sorry to hear.
    You should have been here yesterday
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 10,492 AG
    Cancer treatment is a  huge money maker for Big Pharma.

They don't want to find a cure.

Spending on cancer medicines totaled $107 billion worldwide in 2015 and is projected to exceed $150 billion by 2020, reflecting adoption of newer, pricier therapies, according to a report from the IMS Institute for Healthcare Informatics. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/02/the-worlds-2015-cancer-drug-bill-107-billion-dollars.html 

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
    Gardawg said:

Spending on cancer medicines totaled $107 billion worldwide in 2015 and is projected to exceed $150 billion by 2020, reflecting adoption of newer, pricier therapies, according to a report from the IMS Institute for Healthcare Informatics. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/02/the-worlds-2015-cancer-drug-bill-107-billion-dollars.html 

Can you imagine what they could sell a “cure” for? 
    Gardawg said:

Cure = one time profit
    Treatment = continuous cash flow

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 7,242 Admiral
    edited December 2018 #15
    I'm with gard, and it isn't just cancer.  The entire medical establishment wants repeat customers, thus they treat symptoms not the disease.  It is shameful.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    edited December 2018 #16
    kellercl said:
    I'm with gard, and it isn't just cancer.  The entire medical establishment wants repeat customers, thus they treat symptoms not the disease.  It is shameful.
    Man, that’s just not true. How can you say the entire medical establishment wants repeat customers? That’s wrong and insulting. All health care professionals want to heal/cure you. If a surgeon performs a surgery, it isn’t to have to do another surgery. That is a foolish statement. You are clueless and insulting. Come on man, do better
    edited December 2018 #17
    Gardawg said:
    Gardawg said:

Cure = one time profit
    Treatment = continuous cash flow

But they could sell a cure for any amount  they wanted. Your scepticim is worrisome. If you don’t like it you can go to Canada or Mexico for health care. Enjoy 
    edited December 2018 #18
    kellercl said:
    Man, that’s just not true. How can you say the entire medical establishment wants repeat customers? That’s wrong and insulting. All health care professionals want to heal/cure you. If a surgeon performs a surgery, it isn’t to have to do another surgery. That is a foolish statement. You are clueless and insulting. Come on man, do better
    Just giving my personal opinion.  A lot of health issues can be solved with diet and exercise, which isn't what the medical community pushes.  Additionally I've read that prescription drugs kill more people than all illegal drugs combined.  I also personally had severe debilitating leg pains for 5 years.  The medical community, half a dozen medical doctors, ran test after test.  Sold me pill after pill.  Nothing helped.  Went to a chiropractor once, he told me to sleep on my side with a pillow between my legs...  pain went away immediately.  I also had hernia surgery, and the follow up examine still blows my mind.  The surgeon removed the band aid, said it wasn't infected and left.  The entire appointment was literally less than 3 minutes, and I was charged over $800.  My wife had a catheter removed and the nurse forgot to deflate the balloon, so she pissed blood for two weeks.  Yeah, I'm jaded, very jaded.

Edit
    Also had a doctor prescribe meds that would have interacted with other drugs and killed my aunt.  Luckily the pharmacist caught it when we went to have the script filled.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    edited December 2018 #19
    Also when my wife delivered the hospital had a cross training program with another hospital.  They asked if we were ok with the other hospital helping, we said fine.  Turns out the other hospital was out of network, thus we owed the entire amount due to lack of in network coverage, and the hospital we were at knew that was going to happen and didn't bother saying crap.  That was a lovely 8k bill.  The medical establishment simply doesn't impress me.  They have forgotten their purpose and runs things like a business, instead of a service.

-Walter Payton
    edited December 2018 #20
    kellercl said:
    kellercl said:
    Just giving my personal opinion.  A lot of health issues can be solved with diet and exercise, which isn't what the medical community pushes.  Additionally I've read that prescription drugs kill more people than all illegal drugs combined.  I also personally had severe debilitating leg pains for 5 years.  The medical community, half a dozen medical doctors, ran test after test.  Sold me pill after pill.  Nothing helped.  Went to a chiropractor once, he told me to sleep on my side with a pillow between my legs...  pain went away immediately.  I also had hernia surgery, and the follow up examine still blows my mind.  The surgeon removed the band aid, said it wasn't infected and left.  The entire appointment was literally less than 3 minutes, and I was charged over $800.  My wife had a catheter removed and the nurse forgot to deflate the balloon, so she pissed blood for two weeks.  Yeah, I'm jaded, very jaded.

Edit
    Also had a doctor prescribe meds that would have interacted with other drugs and killed my aunt.  Luckily the pharmacist caught it when we went to have the script filled.  
    Canada and Mexico are open for business. Sorry you had less than optimal care, but your statement is false and insulting. Saying the entire medical establishment wants repeat customers, is irresponsible, insulting and ignorant. Maybe choose your words more carefully. You know next to nothing on the subject.  People make mistakes and care isn’t always perfect, but doctors and nurses don’t want repeat customers ( and by the way we call them patients not customers ). They want to help you. They will make money either way, but most of not all want to help. There is an oath after all. Please keep stupid comments yourself 
    and pharmacists are health care professionals also, do you think they are only in it for repeat customers also? They get paid the same either way also.
    edited December 2018 #21
    I know nothing on the subject? I've summer interned at hospitals.  Have you?  My father, until retirement, was a director at a major hospital.  The industry has changed, I've heard it from the horses mouth.  Have you?  Didn't think so.  Talk about ignorant posts, you nailed the ignorant part.  

Edit
    The hospital in which I have worked at in the past, fired their MD head and replaced him with an MBA......  because it is a business now, not a service.

-Walter Payton
    edited December 2018 #22
    This is a thread about donating to the jimmy V foundation. Not to bash the medical and pharmaceutical industries. Cancer sucks and it’s not going to cure itself. Thanks to all that want to be proactive and donate, no thanks to those that only chose to complain and make it someone else’s problem. Maybe just keep it to yourself on this thread or start your own. I’m disappointed in our community, and Keller, your statement is shameful. 
    edited December 2018 #23
    You are disappointed in anybody who doesn't agree with you.  For some reason your ego is exceptionally fragile and you flip out at the first sign of disagreement.  Also it is a fallacy that those who complain don't contribute.  For all you know one us may have spent time literally working on cancer research.  Just saying.  

The short version is, you may want to stop making assumptions.  So far every single one you have made has been 100% dead wrong. 

-Walter Payton
  • 2amigo2amigo Posts: 6,184 Admiral
    edited December 2018 #24
    This thread went downhill quick.  Sorry Res, but I am donating now.  Hope others do the same.
    edit: Done
    edited December 2018 #25
    kellercl said:
    I know nothing on the subject? I've summer interned at hospitals.  Have you?  My father, until retirement, was a director at a major hospital.  The industry has changed, I've heard it from the horses mouth.  Have you?  Didn't think so.  Talk about ignorant posts, you nailed the ignorant part.  

Edit
    The hospital in which I have worked at in the past, fired their MD head and replaced him with an MBA......  because it is a business now, not a service.
    Yea man. I worked in surgery in the hospital from sophomore year on. My Dad is also a surgeon. That means nothing.  So we have almost the same experience, which is meaningless. That gives you absolutely no knowledge of anything

I learned a more in the first day of vet school than either of us learned working or from our dads.  That was the worst argument I’ve ever heard. “I volunteered in high school and my dads a doc” . Those credentials are an absolute joke. You have zero knowledge or credibility on the subject. Try  to do better please 

The fact is , your dead wrong. And insulting. Please stop running your mouth about subject that you know less than nothing about. This has nothing to do with my ego, as I’m an animal health professionals, you haven’t insulted me yet. Your just making yourself like less informed than you already are. Contrary to your “expert” opinion, most ( all) healthcare professionals want to help you and do not want to see you again. People are much happier if it’s right the first time, and if not there are 100 salivating layers to sue them if a mistake is made. There is tremendous pressure to get it right every time.

also donated to V foundation 
    edited December 2018 #26
    I spent ten years working in a county hospital. 600 beds. Great care for the patients.

County sold it to a for profit medical group.  Fired long time employees and brought in new hires ( inexperienced rookies with minimal training ).  

Patient care went downhill fast. 

And the last time I was hospitalized with herniated discs the doctors at the hospital here in Islamorada wanted to send me home with a opiate prescription. 

I asked why they weren't going to send me to Miami and be treated with a steroid injection.

They said Medicare wouldn't pay for it.  I said that I'd pay for it out of my own pocket. They still weren't going to send me. I asked them why. They hemmed and hawed.  I said my brother-in-law has a dozen lawyers in his firm that  would find out the reason. 

Apparently those were the  magic words. 
    Went to Baptist Hospital in an ambulance.

The docs were looking forward to a payback from the opioid manufacturer.

I'm not cynical. I'm realistic. 

Naïve folk often think knowledgeable folk are cynical.

kellercl said:
    You are disappointed in anybody who doesn't agree with you.  For some reason your ego is exceptionally fragile and you flip out at the first sign of disagreement.  Also it is a fallacy that those who complain don't contribute.  For all you know one us may have spent time literally working on cancer research.  Just saying.  

The short version is, you may want to stop making assumptions.  So far every single one you have made has been 100% dead wrong. 
    I’m positive you haven’t done anything, if you had you wouldn’t have made such an asinine statement. Stop justifying it, apologize and let’s move on.  
    Donate some cash, or is it a waste because it only goes to the mean old docs cause they just want “repeat customers “...
    Gardawg said:
    I spent ten years working in a county hospital. 600 beds. Great care for the patients.

County sold it to a for profit medical group.  Fired long time employees and brought in new hires ( inexperienced rookies with minimal training ).  

Patient care went downhill fast. 

And the last time I was hospitalized with herniated discs the doctors at the hospital here in Islamorada wanted to send me home with a opiate prescription. 

I asked why they weren't going to send me to Miami and be treated with a steroid injection.

They said Medicare wouldn't pay for it.  I said that I'd pay for it out of my own pocket. They still weren't going to send me. I asked them why. They hemmed and hawed.  I said my brother-in-law has a dozen lawyers in his firm that  would find out the reason. 

Apparently those were the  magic words. 
    Went to Baptist Hospital in an ambulance.

The docs were looking forward to a payback from the opioid manufacturer.

I'm not cynical. I'm realistic. 

Naïve folk often think knowledgeable folk are cynical.

What does that have to do with contributions to a charitable organization?
    edited December 2018 #29
    I'm not apologizing for crap.  I stand by my statement.  I'm good.  You are the one with the problem. Somebody in this thread started swinging, it wasn't me.  If you can't deal with opinions, perhaps a public forum isn't for you.  Also, feel free to use the ignore functionality FS offers.  

-Walter Payton
    kellercl said:
    I'm not apologizing for crap.  I stand by my statement.  I'm good.  You are the one with the problem. Somebody in this thread started swinging, it wasn't me.  If you can't deal with opinions, perhaps a public forum isn't for you.  Also, feel free to use the ignore functionality FS offers.  
    If you said most or some it wouldn’t have been a problem, but to say the entire industry is........ 
    yoi heve a hard time admitting when your wrong. Your wrong. You know it, o know it and anyone reading Thisbe thread knows it. I’m done with you.. 

kellercl said:
     I’m done with you.. 

Thank god for small favors.

-Walter Payton